Where can I get cheap Blackhawk grip blanks?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

So my beloved 5.5" Super Blackhawk had a little run in with a concrete wall. :( My grips are ruined. They needed to be replaced anyway...they were smaller than the actual grip frame from the factory.

Is there somewhere that I can buy slightly oversized grip blanks so I can sand them down a little to fit my gun exactly?

contender

Ruger Guru
I don't know about grip blanks unless you are able to get Pvt Schultz, CaryC, or sixshot (all members here,) to send you a set.

Have you tried to make a set yourself???

I needed a couple of sets for the new locking gripframe. I decided to make them myself. Patience, careful fitting, and I turned out some nice custom grips for myself. It takes me around 3-5 hours of work to do a set,,,! I've made 5 sets so far. You can use your old set as a guide and select the wood you need. It can be done.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Someplace i've seen a step by step to DIY on gripmaking. The unshaped panel blanks can be found on eBay.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
That Link is a good one. I used it and some tips from CaryC to make my own. I've done 6 sets now...for 3 Rugers...it's addictive. Cary says to drill the hole for the grip pin first then fit the top corner. I concur. Fitting the corner takes about 15 minutes for both grips. The Pin takes a 5/32" drill bit and the stock escutcheon and screw (from Brownell's) is a 1/8" drill. Buy the counter sink drill for the escutcheons from Brownell...it'll ease your pain, believe me. Trimming to the outline is easy with a belt sander, which also contours the rough grip. Finish them out with a file, half round is the best, then sandpaper. It's fun and you can use the walnut that you find in your woodpile from time to time or fancy cocobolo like these.

If it's a new model with the lock, you'll have to inlet the inside to accomodate the lock. I use a 1/4" router bit, chucked up in my drill press to do the work. It's only 1/16" deep so it's not much of a chore. To get the placement right, I blacken the lock with a candle, them press the grip against it to get the outline. I mark this out with a felt tip, then use the router bit to do the inletting. It's easier than it sounds.

The Escutcheons, screws and escutcheon counter sink/drill are available from Brownell's and work well for me.

Regards Rodfac

P7170405.jpg

A

Anonymous

BlkHawk73":8hqq9egs said:
The unshaped panel blanks can be found on eBay.
Got a link for that? I can only seem to find finished grips on ebay...

I've thought about making some from scratch but I don't really have the tools or the patience. :lol: I just want something that is mostly finished, but will still allow me to do a final sanding/fitting to my gun. I don't want anything too fancy since I'm sure I'll ruin them again. :roll: I'll see what some of the custom grip makers here have to offer....

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Here's a place with blanks for making knives, they have some bigger pieces as well.
http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=587

If dimensions aren't given, here are their standard dimensions (from their faq):
# What are scales, blocks, pieces and cylinders? Scales are the handle material on each side of full tang and folding knives. Our standard dimensions are: 1-1/2" wide x 5" long. The thickness varies. Pieces are larger dimension handle material. Our standard dimensions are: 5" wide x 12" long. The thickness varies. Blocks are handle materials used on hidden tang knives. Our standard dimensions are: 1-1/2" wide x 1-1/8" thick x 5" long.