Where are all the used garden variety 4 inch GP100's? Grin.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
Last couple of days I've been making some calls to dealers in my town and around the area. Looking for a 4 inch stainless GP100 for a project gun to become my new CCW. I guess I'm just "dis-remembering" how the market was 10 years ago, but it seems that back then at least, used 4 inch full-size DA/SA .357 revolvers were everywhere. In half a dozen calls to pawn shops and small to large dealerships here in Southern Kentucky, I've located a total of one used GP100 4 incher. And that's priced at $559. Goodness.
Gunbroker has several, but having never bought a gun without holding it first, buying online for shipment to a local FFL would be ......odd.... to me.
Oh well. I guess either folks are holding on to their trusty revolvers, or there just isn't much interest in them in a polymer world and since they don't eat anything the wheelguns are gathering dust in the back of safes here in my area.
Thank goodness I have my 3 inch SP101 to carry. I envision crafting another appendix carry holster like this one for the 4 inch GP100.......when I find one.
Don
[img]https://i.imgur.com/2JsBmJtl.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/czRPDR6l.jpg[/img]

hittman

Staff member
Gun shop owners around these parts always complain that used revolvers of all brands and sizes are pretty scarce. Been that way here for a long time.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Hmm. I wonder if the profit margin is much greater on polymer frame thisnthats causing production to shift there, while shifting production away from the steel thosentheses so many of us love and cherish? If I was in business to make and sell lots of guns, and polymer sells, that's what I'd do.
So here I sit, wishing I'd had better foresight 10 years ago.
Something will show up. Just need to keep looking.
Don

NikA

Buckeye
The way I've always heard it, the switch from revolvers to semi-autos by police and security agencies ~20 years ago was the reason for the large influx of quality DA/SA revolvers in .38/.357 caliber at that time, and the source has completely dried up since. Makes sense to me, since most police surplus guns these days are well-used semi-auto pistols. I know I bought a used GP about 8 years ago for 400$ and had considerable trouble finding one at that price.

hittman

Staff member
If you're not in love with the GP, maybe easier to locate a Security Six. Easily just as good a gun.

Tallbald

Buckeye
The police trade-in thought sounds very plausible to me too. As well as "why should I sell or trade a good revolver that eats most anything within reason". I'm that way too when I own a real shooter. I had two Security Sixes back in the late 70's as a college student. The need for books and tuition though caused them to be sold. I've seen even fewer Security Six series guns than the GP100's locally.
I'll keep looking. I'll make myself stop at each gun shop and pawn shop I come across over the season. Maybe my luck will change!
Thanks all. Don

There are still just 'way too many reasonable folks who understand the reliability and safety of DA revolvers. And that you just aren't going to "get good" with a tiny, weightless .357, no matter what it's made of.... For me, a 101 is at the outer limit of controllability and accuracy, and that was before Ma Nature had me shake hands with Mr. Arthritis! But that holster might make me change my mind. Delicious.

Good luck on your quest. 1) it's fun, and 2) you will sooner or later find just what you're looking for!

GP like you are looking for are the BOMB! I sold ( needed money)my blued version many years ago because it was large and difficult to carry except in an shoulder holster. Now I kick myself because it was the best shooting gun I have owned! My 3 inch barrel SP-101, has replaced it. Good luck in your quest!
gramps

Sugar River

Buckeye
Tallbald said:
Hmm. I wonder if the profit margin is much greater on polymer frame thisnthats causing production to shift there,
Don

Don't know about profit margin at the retail level, but at the production level it cerainly is. The Glock book stated that when they broke into the US market the G17 wholesale price was $360. The cost per gun was $120, and after a few years, with economy of scale, that cost had fallen to around $100.

Pretty much a license to print money.

Tallbald

Buckeye
I remember #3's. As a young teenager I so wanted both a 45-70 AND a .22 Hornet. I had all sorts of hunting adventures planned. We never thought the #3 would go away... Don

Tallbald

Buckeye
Interesting note. The handsome 1995 (according to serial number search) 4 inch stainless GP100 on GB went this evening for $555, plus $10 shipping and in my area would have been $25 for an FFL receiving. The buyer sure won a beautiful revolver and I, even as a stranger am so very happy for them. Looks like they bought a winner. No envy in me. Just thinking though "I sure missed the boat 10 years ago!" learned long ago it's not possible for me to buy what I'll likely wish for 10 years into the future.
I'll keep looking. Have a great evening my friends, and wishing good things to all here. Don