When was the Redhawk made with a

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
...Pinned front sight blade?
This would be a 4" 44 magnum to be exact.
I was not aware that one was ever made with a pinned FS? All I have ever seen were the plunger-from the front type, shared with the GP100, and standard fare on all current models.

Anyone know for sure?

trapperon

Blackhawk
The pinned front sight redhawks were the very first variation of the 4 inch model. I have a 45 and 44 with pinned sights and both are true 4 inchers--not the 4.2 I believe there were some 4.2 inch pinned sights produced in both 44 and 45 but shortly after the introduction of the 4.2 they went to the plunger. The pinned sight was only ever on the 4/4.2 44 and 45 redhawk.

Ron

NikA

Buckeye
I believe the changeover coincided with the short shutdown of the Redhawk manufacturing line for maintenance in late 2013. I certainly haven't seen any pre-2014 models with the plunger sight, and that would be the logical point at which to switch production since the 4/4.2" barrel profile is quite a bit more tapered than the longer ones I've seen and would require a slightly modified manufacturing process.

TheDude

Single-Sixer
2013 Sounds about right, I have a 4" 44mag with a pinned front sight that was manufactured in 2012.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
So the next question might be whether these are any more desireable from a collector standpoint? Anyone chasing these?
I know some collectors get a nut over lesser variations. Like the phantom 5.5" blued guns with scope mount cutouts of 1990 (I had one) anything 'different' will attract some?

trapperon

Blackhawk
I have seen nothing to indicate collector desirability on the pinned version. In fact I would believe the plunger style to be more favored.

I have always been curious as to why they implemented the pinned sight with the intro of the 4 incher. cost savings, something about the barrel contour? just not sure!

Ron

NikA

Buckeye
4" Redhawk was announced in Nov. 2006, so the bulk of current 4" guns would have the pinned sight. Last time I looked extensively at .45LC only Redhawks, the majority of NIB guns still had the pinned sights, so not only is the variation common, but the newer design hasn't completely displaced the older one in the distribution system yet. I also wonder what the collector value is in something that is less functional: I understand paying more for non-MIM,pre-lock,etc., but would you pay more for a fixed than adjustable sight when both are commonly available?

I believe the difference may be related to the contour of the barrel. It looks to me like previous pinned models were not tapered, while the current models I have seen are. However, my sample size is small enough that I cannot say for sure.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I have a krh-444 bought new circa 2008 with a pinned front sight. I believe I've got the 4.2" barrel on it.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I have to agree with NikA, since the pinned system is "less functional" (no options?), it should be of less value, all things considered.
The Redhawks started with the plunger-replaceable type, then "tried" the pinned sight, now all models are cataloged with the original replaceable type (which allows all the plunger-type replacements from the gold bead/express rear combo and the light-tube green or red and the solid colors, etc).