When Did the Ruger Blackhawk Become a $700 Revolver?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DGW1949

Hunter
I almost went into shock when I noticed regular SP101's are $919.00 msrp!
$919 ?....Wow, that's more than I gave for a pair of RIA 1911A-1 .45 Autos a few months ago...Actually, the pair were $440 each OTD which would have left enough money for a box of FMJ ammo AND I would have gotten some change back...Ruger must have lost their mind...$919?, LOL.

willicd76

Bearcat
Yea,,,,, Guns International has a Like-New Used one @ $1369.99..... :cool:

The bisleys and flat tops are demanding a premium. We can blame that on ourselves! With everyone extolling the virtues of those two features, it has driven demand through the roof. I just sold my 454 bisley on GB for $1350. It was lightly used. My bisley flat top 44spl is the "tightest and rightest" factory ruger ive ever seen. Its not going anywhere. I have a ss flat 45 convertible unfired in the box. I have no great love affair for the gun and it blows my mind what they are bringing. It may well end up on the chopping block to be replaced by more OM guns.

willicd76

Bearcat
$919 ?....Wow, that's more than I gave for a pair of RIA 1911A-1 .45 Autos a few months ago...Actually, the pair were $440 each OTD which would have left enough money for a box of FMJ ammo AND I would have gotten some change back...Ruger must have lost their mind...$919?, LOL.
Comparing a ruger blackhawk to a RIA is what makes me LOL!

DGW1949

Hunter
.........I have lived long enough to see gas go up from 19.9 cents a gallon and eggs from 40 cents a dozen. Ruger inflation? Mild by comparison...
Actually, the "melt value" of an old (90% silver) U.S.Quarter is $3.81 if exchanged for our present-day Federal Reserve Notes. Plus, the price for a gallon of gasoline (today) is $2.71 at the Chevron Station in downtown Livingston, Texas and eggs are $295 at the local HEB Store.....The point to my saying all of that is to illustrate that if we still had REAL money, gasoline would still be .20-.25 per gallon and eggs would be about .40 a Dozen. In other words, it ain't so much that stuff cost more these days, it's that our fake currency is failing. In fact, it's down to about .02 on the dollar compared to when it was first issued....in other words, our gold and silver has been replaced with basically worthless paper. And there hasn't been one single administration do anything about it since 1913...democrats, republicans, none of 'em. They are both equally guilty.....
sorce: https://www.coinflation.com/coins/1932-1964-Silver-Washington-Quarter-Value.html

DGW

DGW1949

Hunter
Comparing a ruger blackhawk to a RIA is what makes me LOL!
Well, I guess we all have our own opinions, and you are certainly welcome to yours...If you look a little closer that the subject of my post, it was in response to the posted price of $919 for a SP-101. No mention of a Blackhawk.

willicd76

Bearcat
Well, I guess we all have our own opinions, and you are certainly welcome to yours...If you look a little closer that the subject of my post, it was in response to the posted price of $919 for a SP-101. No mention of a Blackhawk.
Let me rephrase. Comparing almost any ruger to the RIA is laughable. You didnt get a bargain, you got exactly what you paid for. I dont mean to hurt your feelings, but YOU are the one who introduced the subject. ALSO, comparing MSRP to street price is misleading.

Last edited:

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
In 1979 on sale I paid $64.00 plus tax for my first 10-22, in 1980 I paid $237.00 plus tax for a SS 357 magnum Blackhawk and about 20 years ago I paid $200.00 plus tax for a 6-7/8 inch MK 2. Still have all three. Just bought a blued MK4 22/45 with a 5-1/2 inch bull barrel for $436.00 plus tax. Back when I bought the Blackhawk there was a Smith and Wesson model 41 for the same price of $237.00 plus tax. Saw one the other day for $1400.00 plus tax.

CHEVYINLINE6.

DGW1949

Hunter
Let me rephrase. Comparing almost any ruger to the RIA is laughable. You didnt get a bargain, you got exactly what you paid for. I dont mean to hurt your feelings, but YOU are the one who introduced the subject. ALSO, comparing MSRP to street price is misleading.

Didn't say it was a bargain, just comparing prices that's all...both are primarily defensive guns, both have a cast frame, both have their share of MIM parts....Well that and I don't see anything about the 5-shot Ruger that warrants my spending that kind of money for one. Fact is, I never liked the SP-101 anyway. Too dern bulky for what it is if you ask me, plus the almost total lack of a proper grip frame...Nope, no way is that thing worth more than 2X what a good .45 Auto cost....no offense intended to you either. We both pay's our money and take's our choices.

DGW

NitroAcres

Single-Sixer
The ones that amaze me are the Supers on our GA Trader, things we consider TruckGuns, $350-425 are now 700-1000 ask....No, sorry but missing blue, pitted and rusty freckle Supers are not worth that.

AK375DGR

USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engr's VietNam 69-71---SFi

Attachments

• LJ's Ruger Bearcat .22 Garden-Gun 1961 (1).jpg
    LJ's Ruger Bearcat .22 Garden-Gun 1961 (1).jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 54

Yoter

Bearcat
Good ol' days. AK platform rifles for $200, S&W 686 revolver $250, Blackhawks, $200.

I realize those days will not return. But, at the current prices, I will have to pass. I think demand is so high for semi-auto pistols that manufacturers are producing fewer revolvers.

hittman

Staff member
Local store has a brand new 7.5 inch stainless 44 Mag Redhawk for sale. Priced at $1,100.00.

I know these guys really well. He said part of what drives him to price it there ( close to MSRP ) is that his dealer made him buy a Wrangler and 2 LCPs that he really didn't need or want. Also says this is the first Redhawk he's had a chance to buy in 3 or 4 YEARS.

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
$350 or even $500 Blackhawks probably have gone the way of the dodo bird, unless you just happen on a lucky deal. As W. Jim stated, it's in line with the rest of the increases in wages and consumer prices on most items. It's just that if we go a few years without a purchase, the new price structure is a bit shocking, to say the least.

BloodyThumb

Bearcat
About 15 minutes after I decided I wanted another one.

I just saw an OLD ARMY fixed, 5.5" sell for over $1800 on GB. I am struggling not to sell mine. Prices are crazy anymore. I am happy I am on the selling side of things I have picked up over the last 40 years. Hard times for people new to the addiction.