When Did the Ruger Blackhawk Become a $700 Revolver?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eveled

Hawkeye
I have a friend new to shooting. He's building s collection. Duplicating some of my guns, no way I could afford to buy mine over again.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
Mine hasn't
That's 46 years, man. On average, only 4.5% raise per year. Back in the '80's double digit merit raises for exceptional workers were common. Add a promotion, or even better change jobs for a better opportunity, and anything is possible.

My Dad and both Grandpas worked a single job their whole lives. In contrast, my 40 year old son has changed jobs every 4-5 years. Starting as a salesman in Office Max when he was 18, he now manages the entire east coast distribution division of his company. I can't even imagine ever making as money as he does.

Of all in the family, only one Grandpa was a union member. That was an educational experience I will never forget.

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
Thirty years ago I bought the first release of the Buckeye Special, the 32-20/32 H&R combofor something on the order of $300. I foolishly sold it a year or so later for a small profit. When I finally decided it would be wise to buy a replacement, I was "fortunate" enough to find an excellent condition with box and dox... for only $1100! Yep, it's not what you buy, it's when you buy it!
🐸

Heck, I just bought three 3 Screw Single Sixes. One in the high $300, one in the mid $400, and one for $500. Oh well, I wanted them. I remember selling a new model convertible in the early 90's for $125.

badge851

Single-Sixer
In 2018 the MSRP on my newly purchased brace of Blackhawk® New Model 41 Magnums was $669. I purchased both guns for $495 a piece OTD at the nearby JBLM PX. Today in 2023 the MSRP for those two guns is $849. Retail is $695.

Time and price march on.

Last edited:

Rclark

Hunter
"When did a pickup truck become an $80,000.00 truck?"
How true..... That is why I got permanent plates on my '97 Dodge Ram. Just hold onto it. Can buy a lot of parts (and gas) for $80,000. No way can I 'really' justify a new pickup.... And all the electronic 'do-dads' they put on truck now is ridiculous.

Should add ... and prices is one reason I have put the brakes on buying firearms too.

Last edited:

Jon406

Single-Sixer
They're too high for my budget, that's why I have a clone Uberti, if I find one for a good deal price wise, I'll buy it.. most likely put it on layaway.

Yoter

Bearcat
Wanted a Blackhawk in 357, but prices were too high. Ended up with a Cimarron Model P in 357 for nearly half the price. Good trigger and happy so far.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Another "fun"way to look at things; "When did a pickup truck become an $80,000.00 truck?"

Inflation & costs have risen a lot in just a few years.
My employer sold a 2023 Yukon Delani that delivers this morning for six digits.

Had a C8 Z06 last week with a sticker of $137K.

One of the friends from my youth's dad bought a new Z06 in 1963 (199 produced) for almost $8K (very expensive Chevy) but sold it a few years ago with less than 40K miles for over $600K.

hittman

Staff member
For a little perspective ….. in the fall of 1998 my Aunt and Uncle bought a brand new Ford Explorer XLT. Highly optioned but NOT an Eddie Bauer Edition. No V8 but think it has everything else. Leather, sunroof, AM FM Cassette and CD.

The sticker price? Ready? ….. this in 1998 remember ….. 25 years ago.

$34,000.00.

Big money then. At least to many of us.