When Did the Ruger Blackhawk Become a $700 Revolver?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hankus

Blackhawk
There's are a lot of guy's at gun shows that don't understand that.
Luckily for me there are still sellers at gun shows that do understand this. I picked up these two in December in a package deal for $1200. The Super Redhawk .454 Casull came out the door in 2018 and has seen a few rounds through it but is in excellent shape with the original box and rings. The .357 SP101 was NIB from 2020.

Attachments

• 18783FD2-F080-4A50-99DC-66EE44DC2513.jpeg
    18783FD2-F080-4A50-99DC-66EE44DC2513.jpeg
    320.8 KB · Views: 54
When I first saw this thread, I thought it was resurrected from a decade ago. I think the title should be updated to "when did the Ruger Blackhawk become a $1000 revolver?" Sometimes I think dealers take advantage of our present circumstances and buy up all available supplies (more than they used to years prior) with the intention of selling them at higher cost on GB. This applies to to firearms as well as reloading supplies. IMO, I think there may be some of this happening that drives up cost unnecessarily. Manufacturers make a run on guns, primers, etc, then big box stores sell out immediately, and lo and behold they're on GB at extortionate prices.

dannyd

Hunter
Luckily for me there are still sellers at gun shows that do understand this. I picked up these two in December in a package deal for $1200. The Super Redhawk .454 Casull came out the door in 2018 and has seen a few rounds through it but is in excellent shape with the original box and rings. The .357 SP101 was NIB from 2020.
For 1200.00 I got 3 of my GP100 and a SP101, so for people like me the new prices are definitely a shock. ;)

contender

Ruger Guru
seasterl, actually I think you are a bit misguided. During the covid crap with the shutdowns etc,, I saw a LOT of dealers begging to find stuff to buy. Why? Because they too could not get product. At gun shows,, I saw guys who normally had a booth, not there. When I asked a few that I knew,, they too said; "I don't have anything to sell."
MAYBE a few of the bigger dealers (JUST AN EXAMPLE,,,) say, "Bud's gun shop" bought a bunch of stuff,, and stockpiled it, but I doubt it. They too are at the mercy of a distributor. And it's HARD to predict the future, so to try & buy up stuff that's normally a slow seller & sit on the inventory (money) hoping for a sudden change in demands is not a business model many could afford.
In the modern world,, having a warehouse full of product to sell is not considered feasible or profitable. If it's sitting on a shelf, built & cost money to build,, it needs to sell to turn over the money invested.
And big box stores,, (Bud's, BASS Pro, Cabelas,) place larger orders well ahead of their projected needs. At SHOT,, many dealers place orders for an entire year, to be sent in allotments at specific times. They are not only expected to have already paid for the previous order,, but are locked into the contract to buy.

The stuff appears on GB & other places at higher prices because of the ones who do get their orders filled AND keep their bills paid, do get product to sell. And when the demand increases,, while the production stops,, prices go way up. Businesses try to stay in business by having to make money on their investments. When a customer wants a specific item, and is willing to pay the asking price,, a dealer may well spend time looking for that item. And smart dealers take a deposit before they can get an item. They also will tell the customer that the final price may be more then projected because of the supply's being very low.

The smaller gun shops or dealers who post stuff on GB are hoping to get more out of something because they had to pay more for the item. Simple supply & demand.

I do not sell on GB nor do I sell much of anything except on places like this Forum. But I do own a gun range, & have been associated with the gun industry for decades. I get the SHOT newsletter. I study the market. I pay attention to what the entire industry is experiencing.

Basically, the industry has evolved a lot over the last 20-30 years.

When Bill Ruger was alive,, they did have a warehouse to stock up on models as they built them. They would build say, 20,000 of a model, and warehouse them. Then switch the machines to building a different model. And anytime a different & new model was introduced, they would work to fill orders,, but would NOT build a larger number of that new offering UNTIL they saw the demand for it. We would see Ruger introduce a new gun, see it in the magazines, or on TV or whatever. Yet,, smaller gun shops or dealers wouldn't get their first one for 2-3 years.
Then lean manufacturing came into the marketplace.
After Bill passed & for a time Ruger operated the same way. But when Mike Fifer came into the company, there was an overhaul of everything. Set up a line to run a popular model AND get them into the distributor's warehouses,, not Ruger's warehouse. Stockpiling a model is not as profitable as building & selling them quickly. Build as many as projected for a shorter period of time, switch the production line to a different model, and do the same thing.

Covid, combined with the world wide shortage of materials, different demands, labor forces out of work, and no stockpile of a product,, has caused inflation to hit everything. Our guns are no different. Throw in the stupid government programs paying people to not work, & trying to make them dependent on them caused a labor force issue.

Everything has increased in cost. And when an item is in demand, it's cost will go up.

Let's face it. Due to the national push to "increase the minimum wage to $15" has created a labor force shortage. Many of the people who'd work for a lower wage at a fast food joint,, suddenly say; "I'm not working for less than $15 an hour." The FF joint has to increase it's prices to pay for any warm body that MIGHT do a little work for them. Then you have a skilled person, say working in an office at $12 an hour, who see's Joe dumb butt baggy britches making MORE than them for doing a less skilled job, they demand higher wages. So across the board,, everybody demands more in wages. As such, the expenses to stay in business goes up. And they pass along the expenses in the form of increased product prices.

It's not just guns, it's everything.

contender

Ruger Guru
Yoter,, you posted as I was typing my response above.

To add to what I posted.

Many laborer types,, are being hurt by the fact that there are people willing to work for less money than what's necessary. A lot of the lower paying jobs are being performed by illegals. They are willing to work for less, live in poorer conditions, and pool money to meet necessities. I have witnessed a legal mexican couple buy a house, AND pay asking price. Then they bring in over 10 people to live there. And all 10 (or more) pay rent. I saw this happen with a single-wide trailer. There were 12 people living there. All adults, and all working. (And we won't get into the fact that many of these same people were getting government money. Trying to keep this thread from being political.)
So, the labor force is HURT by people expecting to pay as little as they can for services. The only way a small company can afford to get jobs is to keep wages lower, because materials cost much more.
As such,, good honest people who want to work are forced to accept less pay for a job because many of the laborer jobs are done by those willing to accept less money.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
Good ol' days. AK platform rifles for $200, S&W 686 revolver $250, Blackhawks, $200.

I realize those days will not return. But, at the current prices, I will have to pass. I think demand is so high for semi-auto pistols that manufacturers are producing fewer revolvers.
I paid $143 for my Blackhawk 200th year Commemorative in 1976. Based on inflation it would be worth $800 today. It went up about 5.56 times. At $700 it is a bargain.

In contrast, since 1976 my salary has gone up by a factor of 7.

I don't see a problem here.

Rat76

Single-Sixer
I paid $143 for my Blackhawk 200th year Commemorative in 1976. Based on inflation it would be worth $800 today. It went up about 5.56 times. At $700 it is a bargain.

LOL! I bought that same gun 15 years ago for $350, used, at a gun show.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
LOL! I bought that same gun 15 years ago for $350, used, at a gun show.
Based on inflation alone, $143 in 1976 would be worth about $500 15 years ago.

I keep a database of the values of MY guns. 13 years ago that Blackhawk was selling for about $450.

Am glad I bought my Talo NV in 2017 for $609 + tax.

View attachment 17862
My NV cost just shy of $1000 last summer. Polished stainless but not a Talo.

I will say, the blued NV I just picked up is worth every penny of the $700 I paid. The cylinder lockup is like a vault- not a bit of play. The timing is spot on, the end shake and gap are the tightest of any I own. And the front sight is straight up and down!

Last edited:

Rat76

Single-Sixer
Based on inflation alone, $143 in 1976 would be worth about $500 15 years ago.

I keep a database of the values of MY guns. 13 years ago that Blackhawk was selling for about $450.
That was a pretty good period for prices at the Tulsa guns shows. Blackhawks & P Series pistols, Camp9s & PC4s all at that same price point. Heck I even scored an OM 30 Carbine for that same $350 & a S&W 3000 Police shotgun for $175.

Good times, let me build my collection. OTOH a few years later I hit buy-it-now on a $600 PC9 on Auction Arms on Christmas morning. They unlike the PC4 were unobtanium.

My wife didn't get too upset when she woke up. She's a keeper.

I knew those prices were excellent at the time. ;)

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I have a family member that bought a new convertible .357 blued/6.5" about ten years ago and it was nearly $600. It's the used ones that are silly.

I was looking for a 5.5" full size blued Vaquero in .45 Colt around that time and I couldn't find one used for under $800 (I don't buy from dealers) so I bought a much superior Uberti Cimarron Evil Roy for $550.

It's nothing new. They have been too high for at least ten years. I bought my .357 used in 2004 or so for $350 and spent maybe $150 on upgrades and I know for a fact I can sell it for $750 locally.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
Your point is spot on. To add to it, whatever you thought you planned that you might need for retirement is now in the trash can. That's why many HAVE to delay retirement and work into their Golden Years.

I bought my Blackhawk .357 a couple of weeks ago. It was a three screw model, blued and built in 1967. Got it for a great price. Then, Thursday, I was in a gun store in Franklin, TN. and found a used new model blued with 6.5" barrel. Looked in great shape. They were only asking $489!! If I had not just bought the other one, I would have snatched it up.

Yoter

Bearcat

Mine hasn't