When did Ruger start marking ser # digits on cylinders?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Juniper

Bearcat
I have heard that this occured when the first old model convertible single sixes and blackhawks came out, as the extra cylinder was hand fitted to that revolver. Is this the case or did Ruger do this prior to the dual cylinder offerings? I have seen both marked cylinders with the last 3 serial # digits and also cylinders with only an S stamp. Thanks for the replies!

flatgate

Hawkeye
The "extra" cylinders included with the Single-Six convertibles were numbered via stamping dies back in the early '60's. Revolvers returned for service would have the cylinder numbered, as well. The stamping die procedure was dropped in favor of the "electric pencil" by about '63, IIRC.

After the New Models were introduced the last three digits of the s/n were marked on both cylinders.

The "S" stamp should appear on every centerfire cylinder since it indicates the cylinder passed the "proof test". The Hawkeye pistol had the mark on the barrel since that's where the chamber actually was..

I hope this helps.

flatgate

Juniper

Bearcat
Flatgate,
Thanks for the info! I been through your neck of the woods a few times and always stop at the Cheese Factory. Spent some time in the hills east of you near Pinedale, great mule deer area!

flatgate

Hawkeye
The Cheese Factory has been closed for several years. There have been rumors of it re-opening but, so fan, nothing has occured.

Hills near Pinedale? Oh, well, yeah, there's a few little hills near there.....

238226853.jpg

:D

flatgate

Juniper

Bearcat
Flatgate,
Beautiful picture of the hills! Sorry to hear of the closing of the Cheese Factory, though I usually bypassed the cheese and went straight for the ice cream. I guess I've always referred to mountains as "the hills" even though my house sits at an elevation of 5000 ft. and I can look out my front window and see 2 peaks over 11,000 ft. I would say the Gros Ventre and Windrivers warrant the designation of mountains!