What's your favorite Camp Revolver?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vba

Bearcat
I don't camp either, If I did it would be my Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .45 Colt with a 4 5/8" barrel.

bogus bill

Hunter
I think a good case could be made for this .32 H&R mag I have. Might be even better were it the newer .327 mag. Accurate, powerful, no recoil, lightweight, flat shooting.

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
When we horsepack into the Bob Marshall I carry this 629-4 loaded with 285 grain hardcasts @ 1250 fps. We regularly see Griz -- have had them run off the horses..
c542cbf8.jpg

When I hunt in Oregon I prefer this 44 Special in Elk camp. Enjoy carrying it. It's loaded pretty heavy (1050 fps with 255 grain hardcasts) and is suitable for Black Bear protection.
a668c219.jpg

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
I have a 4 5/8" Old Model Ruger .357 converted to .44 Special by Alan Harton. I can stick a stainless Bearcat in the back pack for light duty. When the black bears are active, a 4" S&W .44 Magnum Mountain Gun or a .44 Magnum Super Blackhawk cutdown to 4 5/8" and converted to the Bisley grip are ready to good.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
For the most part, it's a Ruger Flat Top .44 Spl, or my Smith M19 4" bbl. Either will handle all camp chores in the lower 48 for deer or defense. But packing out elk in the Rockies, without a rifle, I carried a .44 Magnum when I still had the lungs and legs to handle the altitude. But those choices are for 'work'; for fun my wife's Single Six 3-screw was a 40 year companion til some dirt-bag stole it. Nowadays, we tote a Standard Model Mkll and a Colt Diamondback 4" .22 for the sheer fun of shooting them. They're in our trailer on most every trip. YMMV, Rod

Seminole Wind

Bearcat
My favorite camp gun is not a revolver. A 10mm 1911 carried in an IWB holster is comfortable, powerful, and doesn't bump into everything as you work and lounge in camp. I hunt with my revolvers, but the 1911 is always there if I have on pants.

clintsfolly

Single-Sixer
My camp gun is during deer season is my Bowen Perfect Bisley 45Colt 4 5/8 stainless. The rest of the my KNR4 with a Bisley grip frame and better sights