What's wrong with my floorplate?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RufusG

Bearcat
Last time out shooting my tang safety 77 UL .257 the floorplate popped open on one of the shots.

I noticed the floorplate is no longer laying flush against the stock when closed, but the release tab in the triggerguard seems to be positioned properly.

I've owned this gun since it was new and this is a new problem.

Is this nothing more than the nub on the front of the plate wearing down, or is it something else?

RufusG

Bearcat
If you are referring to the action screws, yep, that's the first thing I checked.

booneh

Bearcat
check the front tab on the trigger guard. if they are not lined up with the notch in the mag. box and the center screw is tightened they will break. this can let the front of the trigger guard up out of position and it won't stay latched.

booneh

RufusG

Bearcat
Well, I finally got around to looking at this again.

Stared at it for a while and saw nothing obvious.

So I fell back on my usual last resort in cases like this. I took it apart and put it back together.

And it looks like that worked.

Based on that, it seems the only cause could be "tolerance stacking".

I reassembled it with the triggerguard as far forward as it would go, and the floorplate as far back as it would go, and it looks like that got me just enough to close the plate up just almost flush, and I'm guessing no more popping open upon firing.

Thanks for the suggestions.