What's written on a mail order box of gun powder?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bearing01

Bearcat
Hi all,

When you order powder from Midway, what is the writing on the outside of the box? It's shipped via USPS. I have ordered power from Cabelas before. I can't remember what's specific writing is on the box, but there is a picture indicating a flammable warning and there's a little plastic pouch with some writing in it indicating some kind of contents.

On the box I will receive from midway is there any text stating that the contents is gun powder or propellant?

I need to know. I ordered powder from Midway last week and it is being shipped directly from the powder manufacturer, and it can be arriving any time between now and the next 3 weeks. I found out today that my very very Liberal anti-gun in-laws may be coming for a 10 day visit this month. They visit like once every 2 years. They don't know I own guns. It would not be good if they were to sign for the package while I'm not home. I have to figure a way around this.

edit: too add, it's not like it will be a small box. I ordered like 10 pounds of single 1 pounders. If they were to know the contents they'd think I was gone crazy.

NCMountains

Bearcat
I forget exactly but my last indicated there was gun powder in the box. I assume they have to indicate somewhere so some dip does not use the box as their personal ash tray to hold a cigarette on it while taking a smoke break!

Flash

Buckeye
There are two things that Midway expects it's customers to have when ordering reloading supplies. A spine and or testicles.

captainkirk

Blackhawk
Flash":fxwkxf21 said:
There are two things that Midway expects it's customers to have when ordering reloading supplies. A spine and or testicles.

The box will likely be labeled Flammable or ORM-D indicating hazardous contents. Either way, it won't be mistaken for a sweater. This is a bridge you should have already crossed, maybe them seeing your stash is a good way to start...

captainkirk

gmaske

Bearcat
captainkirk":2r7f6jvu said:
Flash":2r7f6jvu said:

The box will likely be labeled Flammable or ORM-D indicating hazardous contents. Either way, it won't be mistaken for a sweater. This is a bridge you should have already crossed, maybe them seeing your stash is a good way to start...

captainkirk
That is the labeling BUT it will come UPS NOT USPS as they won't handle stuff like that. Tell them IF they ask that it's some oil base paint you ordered or some such stuff like that. Don't act suspicious and they will most likely not even notice.

wildwilly

Bearcat
I agree with Flash Don't tread on me unless your an inlaw If they don't like it tell them to stay in a motel

bearing01

Bearcat
redhawker":3fbb3wry said:
Tell them it's gunpowder and show them your guns and tell them if they don't like it Motel 6 has rooms available.

Hahahaha

I don't think they would freak out - to my face. A few Christmas' ago I bought my mother a browning lever action 22 rifle. When I told my inlaws what I got her for xmas they were surprised and I could tell by their reaction they thought it was extreme - and there was no conversation. period.

I won't lie to them. I have a great relationship with them. I just don't agree with many things political and I choose not to discuss or argue our differences. As for the gun bit, I would rather them not know. If they ask me if I own "A" gun I will tell them "yes" I own "A" gun. They won't ask to see "it" but if they did I'd show them my SR9 with the padlock on it which is also locked inside its box and in a safe - for safety reasons of course. No need for them to know about the loaded 45 under the bed.

If the powder comes UPS then I may be in the clear. My wife works across the street and she's good with our UPS guy. He drops our home packages off at her work.

gmaske

Bearcat
bearing01":1b5x7myl said:
If the powder comes UPS then I may be in the clear. My wife works across the street and she's good with our UPS guy. He drops our home packages off at her work.

Yer home free cause it ain't comin no other way than UPS! :wink:

bearing01

Bearcat
Vecco":3vj7iyl8 said:
I guess telling them it's a box of Adult Movies and Toys is out of the question?

No, they're Liberals. Not Conservatives. They'd probably be all over that - in their quest to encourage the wife & I to start having kids.

Rclark

Hunter
Personally, I wouldn't worry yourself about it! Just give them a heads up that a package may be arriving when your gone and would you please sign for it. Simple.

As for guns in general, don't ignore the issue (or push it either). If an opportunity comes up, you can tell about some your experiences. Why you may even want to plan an outing into the woods for some shooting (just don't shock 'em to much by bumping off some birds or squirrels) as something to do. Pop some cans an such with a .22. Make it fun. Who knows, you may turn 'em around to 'normal' think'in :) . I read recently in a mag, about a women that wants to do more shooting now that she did some shooting herself! Never know. Stand up for your beliefs!

desertrat

Single-Sixer
I tend to go along with bearing01, that is the fewer non-shooters that know about your guns the better.

Living in apartment communities in recent years, it's difficult to get firearms out to the vehicle to go shooting without someone noticing what you have.

I carry the handguns out in a range bag, but the long guns I wrap in an old bed sheet or the like. Ordinarily I wouldn't care if I were living in my own home with an attached garage, but in apts there's a higher chance of a break-in to steal your gun stash if they can observe what you have.

Also, more & more people are gun paranoid these days and if they know that you're a collector it could cause problems.

I would just come clean and tell them. Heck they may not like it but if they think well of you they would certainly get over it. Then that worry of them EVER finding out would be gone.

My neighbor HATES guns one day coming home from shooting she was sitting at the kitchen table with Linda and I come waltzing through with my Redhawk she was absolutely disgusted. Within 15 minutes of education she was actually fondling it. Still my friend still hates guns but accepts me and my guns. ps

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
woodpile":10vt6z73 said:
I just saw your address just tell them it is your latest shipment of medical marijuana. Steve

Real smart! Then they burn down your house when they roll it up and try to light it. :roll:

Bearing01:
You know testicles are real handy in times like these. I think you should make no excuses. If they don't like it tell them that you can agree to disagree. All that is easy for me to say without knowing many facts about the situation. 8)