What's with Ruger's love affair with the 450 Bushmaster?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Three50seven

Buckeye
Let me begin by saying I am not in any way bashing the caliber. Though it's no 45/70 Govt, I think it would be an awesome caliber to own and play around with if I didn't already have too many others to collect components and dies for :lol: .

Now, what I am really wondering is why is Ruger all of a sudden throwing all these 450's on the Market? First the American Rifle Ranch, then the Gunsite, now a No. 1?? I would assume that Bushmaster (Or whoever owns them now) still owns the rights to this caliber, which seems a little odd that Ruger would be pushing a competitor's caliber at what is really a niche market. Maybe I'm all wrong, but it seems a little odd to me. Kind of surprised they didn't throw their hat into the ring with a "450 Ruger" if they were planning this many offerings.

mac66

Single-Sixer
It started in Michigan with a dealer contracting a run of Americans in 450. The dealer sold a couple thousand in a few weeks which showed the demand.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Demand and supply I suppose. Though they can make one less, as I have no demand for one; from a desirability perspective, nor for the need/want.
I don't even get to shoot the 3 45-70s I have, let alone acquire another 45 cal. that I'd need reloading stuff for, as already stated above.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
The name... .450 makes it appealing as it's big and the whole "size matters" thing kicks in with the testosterone junkies. Couple that with it being "tactical" being an AR cartridge and it makes it even more "cool". :roll: It's simply marketing to the right market. ;). Now add in that it just absolutely must be superior as it's got more oomph than the classic, so obviously inadequate 45-70. Again, it's marketing and customer mentality.

Actually the 45/70 has more power especially with heavier bullets.

Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio are allowing rifles now with various hand gun or straight wall cartridges. The 450 is a power full option. In the AR it gives fast follow up shots, faster than a lever 45/70.

egl52

Single-Sixer
I think the 450 Bushmaster chambering makes sense in a magazine-fed rifle, but it sure seems to be an odd choice for a No. 1. I always thought the No. 1 is the perfect platform for cartridges that are poor choices for magazines, meaning rimmed or unusually long.

Three50seven

Buckeye
I think you all are probably right. People think they need a howitzer to kill a deer, and since several states have restrictions that exclude many common calibers from use, Ruger has offered the 450 as a trendy and effective alternative to a slug gun or muzzleloader. They dipped their toe in the pool with the small run of American Rifles, and when that took off like a wildfire they decided to offer more expensive options to those that prefer wood stocks and blued or stainless steel rifles.

mac66

Single-Sixer
I also think some of it has to do with the combination of the American and 450 BM.

Personally I already have most of the guns and calibers I want. I have no interest in a 45-70 (or most other calibers) in a new lever action because they are so dang expensive these days. I have no real interest in a $1000 scout rifle either. However, a $300-400 bolt gun* (i.e, American) in just about any caliber is interesting enough for me to buy and try. So the appeal to me isn't so much about the 450 BM as it is the opportunity to try it without breaking the bank.

* I've seen Americans for sale in 308 and other calibers for $299 recently and in 223 for around $320. Once the novelty of the new calibers wears off the prices will stabilize around $300 give or take a saw buck or two. At those prices I would buy just about anything Ruger would care to bring out particularly a 44 mag, 357 mag, 35 Remington, 30-30 etc.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I just put a deposit on the American it will sell for $419. I have a #1s in 45/70 that I enjoy but the compact American with a muzzle brake tripped my trigger. I also my get the new #1 just because I can. For a hard hitting round from 100-300 yards I think it is great, are there other rounds that do the same thing yes but this one sounds like fun to me.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Rumrunner said:
Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio are allowing rifles now with various hand gun or straight wall cartridges.
This is exactly what's driving the interest in the 450 Bushmaster and other rifles chambered for powerful pistol and straight wall rifle cases. The 450 BM can be chambered in a lot of rifles that wont accept the 45/70 or similar cases.

steelshooterco

Single-Sixer
Hey if you are making and chambering 450 BM barrels, you might as well put them on things and wee what sells!

If it sells make more, if it don't use em where they do sell.

chet15

Hawkeye
There's a lot of people who like a .44 Mag. in the #1 or a Ruger bolt rifle. They even liked it in the .44 carbine and the 99/44, neither of which Ruger makes any more.
The .450 Bushmaster is a straight walled case and outperforms the .44 mag.
Seems in that regard there would be a lot of demand for the .450 Bushmaster, and there has been!!
Chet15

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
22/45 Fan said:
Rumrunner said:
Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio are allowing rifles now with various hand gun or straight wall cartridges.
This is exactly what's driving the interest in the 450 Bushmaster and other rifles chambered for powerful pistol and straight wall rifle cases. The 450 BM can be chambered in a lot of rifles that wont accept the 45/70 or similar cases.

Yep, Yankee State Deer hunting Regs !

dakota1911

Buckeye
Make it and they may come. If lots of them come then make more. It will be interesting if this is another fad that will be collectible in say 10 years.

Major T

Blackhawk
What others said about straight walled cases in eastern/Midwest states. Some limit case length, so 444 and 45-70 are too long. .450 B is under the wire....

Jack

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Like I always hear, new innovative offerings is the path forward for the #1, honestly, how much of a market exists for a .243 #1A? I have no interest in a 450 BM but happy Ruger is offering something that is of interest to many.

CraigC

Hawkeye
It works in a boltgun without extensive re-engineering, unlike the .45-70. It is also compatible with a plethora of good bullets and the guns are threaded for suppressor use. No worries about making an semi-auto run with both full pressure and subsonic loads. No worries about cast bullets plugging up the gas system. A good 330-360gr cast or copper bullet is good for game up to Cape buffalo. What's not to like?