Whats Up With Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Called Ruger's customer service yesterday.
I wanted to send in 2 of my SP 101's to have
3" barrels installed.
The person I talked to said they where not
doing Barrel swaps at this time and did not
know when or if they would be doing so.
I asked for the price for 2 3' barrels and I would
have them installed. He said they will not sell
barrels unless the factory installs them.
Guess when you get so big and mighty you
no not need more business.
Charlie

hittman

Staff member
Just guessing but ....... rumor has it there's been a huge increase in sales and orders from wholesale dealers since sometime last fall. If there's literally hundreds of thousands of back-orders ....... swapping a barrel isn't at the top of the "to-do" list.

woodman39

Bearcat
Ruger and every other company is way behind on their orders. Check back in about a year when they catch up, they will probably do it then.

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
Hasn't it always been Ruger's policy to not sell barrels? I also thought they won't change the original configuration.

rkrcpa said:
Hasn't it always been Ruger's policy to not sell barrels? I also thought they won't change the original configuration.
I guess I am to use to S&W. Just sent in a 6" 686 i bought used
and they installed a 2" barrel, went through it and
returned my old barrel.
Guess Ruger will not miss my business !

TKLyden

Bearcat
I still wonder where all the product is??? They say they are behind ,If so where is the product they are making? I see no firearms at all.

hittman

Staff member
TKLyden said:
I still wonder where all the product is??? They say they are behind ,If so where is the product they are making? I see no firearms at all.

They're starting to hit the local stores here now. In recent weeks I've seen new GP's, new .22LR SP's, SR45s, SR40s, SR22s, 10/22s and more.

Speaking of gun prices ..... one store has a NEW 4" SP in 22LR for $505.00. Less than 20 miles away the same gun is "on sale" for $609.95! :shock:

contender

Ruger Guru
Due to product liability, the will not sell any parts that require gunsmith fitting.
Ruger does not do custom options, such as putting a non-factory issued part on a gun that was shipped with a different part that you want. And while your gun may have been offered with a different barrel length, they may not have the properly trained staff available to do such work right now. The folks who could do it are most likely working hard on other products, trying to get new guns out the door.
Ruger is running production as fast as they can, but sales are up there as well. If you shop around, you can find Rugers.

Just because S&W does something doesn't automatically make it policy for any other gun maker.

Ordguy

Single-Sixer
When I got my 44 Special 4 5/8 Vaquero I contacted Ruger about putting a 5 1/2 barrel on it. At that time they would but the cost was way up there. As I recall the barrels are in the white and without a front sight. My 44 Spl is still 4 5/8.

One thing you don't mention about Smith and Wesson is there "guarantee" is nowhere as good as Rugers' guarantee. I had a model 41 which ultimately needed a new slide. Like your barrel it is only available through smith and wesson by the by. I had to pay through the nose. If it were a Ruger part which failed they would have repaired it gratis.

In my humble opinion these two companies are worlds apart. If Ruger won't miss your business and you go to Smith, you'll pay 5he difference.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
crystal river charlie said:
Called Ruger's customer service yesterday.
I wanted to send in 2 of my SP 101's to have
3" barrels installed.
The person I talked to said they where not
doing Barrel swaps at this time and did not
know when or if they would be doing so.
I asked for the price for 2 3' barrels and I would
have them installed. He said they will not sell
barrels unless the factory installs them.
Guess when you get so big and mighty you
no not need more business.
Charlie

Just gonna reiterate what everyone else has said. Alterations aren't a priority when production is what it's been for a while now. It's not about being "big and mighty" it's a CYA policy they've always had. The same applies to lots of parts across their entire model line. Been pretty common knowledge for decades.
Maybe try some of the gunsmiths that specialize in the SP and see what, if any, take-offs they have.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
contender said:
Due to product liability, the will not sell any parts that require gunsmith fitting.
Ruger does not do custom options, such as putting a non-factory issued part on a gun that was shipped with a different part that you want. And while your gun may have been offered with a different barrel length, they may not have the properly trained staff available to do such work right now. The folks who could do it are most likely working hard on other products, trying to get new guns out the door.
Ruger is running production as fast as they can, but sales are up there as well. If you shop around, you can find Rugers.

Just because S&W does something doesn't automatically make it policy for any other gun maker.

+1 - RTFM.
Clearly stated on the parts list - requires factory installation. Some parts are not available to kitchen-table Joes. And Ruger has had a policy of not altering a gun from it's original configuration for many many years.

The Sturminator

Single-Sixer
I, too, called Ruger back east a few weeks ago in regards to fitting a 22lr cylinder to my 1980's Stainless Single Six 5.5" barrel length (currently only have the WMR cylinder). The gentleman on the other end of the wire was very nice and told me that they weren't cutting/fitting cylinder to guns that were sent in (non-production guns) until this August....$150 for new cylinder & fitting, shipped, was/is going to be the cost. Thought this was cool, let's me think a bit if I really want to spend the money for the fitting/new cylinder or just find another complete Single Six pkg. Sometimes I can find patience....sometimes, :)

crystal river charlie said:
rkrcpa said:
I guess I am to use to S&W. Just sent in a 6" 686 i bought used
and they installed a 2" barrel, went through it and
returned my old barrel.
Guess Ruger will not miss my business !
Guess some companies have to do certain things to compete with other companies that don't,,,,,,I really doubt Ruger will miss you, you'll know at Christmas time if you don't get your card!! :roll:

kinda tells me S&W isn't near as busy filling orders,,,,I can understand that also. :mrgreen: