What's the highest ripoff price you've seen for 22 ammo?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rboineau

Bearcat
Just for amusement, I thought I would ask you guys how much you've seen .22LR cartridges going for during the current unpleasantness (last year or two).

I'll start it off. At a nearby gun shop that I reluctantly use for transfers, they had 50-round boxes of Remington(I think it is) "Thunderbolt" cartridges(not great ammo from my experience, but shootable) for $14.95.

I only paid a couple of dollars more not too many years ago at Wal-Mart for a 550-round pack of Remington "Golden Bullet" cartridges!

Regards, Ralph Boineau in central South Carolina

6gun

Hunter
rboineau said:
Just for amusement, I thought I would ask you guys how much you've seen .22LR cartridges going for during the current unpleasantness (last year or two).

I'll start it off. At a nearby gun shop that I reluctantly use for transfers, they had 50-round boxes of Remington(I think it is) "Thunderbolt" cartridges(not great ammo from my experience, but shootable) for $14.95.

I only paid a couple of dollars more not too many years ago at Wal-Mart for a 550-round pack of Remington "Golden Bullet" cartridges!

Regards, Ralph Boineau in central South Carolina

$14.99 for 50 Thunder bolts? :shock: I bought 3 boxes of those from Walmart a couple months ago cause they had a 3 limit they were $2.09 each, highest price I have seen for 22's was on Armslist $90 for bricks of 550 Winchester, nope I didn't buy any.

soyarm

Bearcat
Just saw an ad for my lgs. They were advertising 50 rd boxes of CCI for $6.99 box and making a huge deal of it besides. Just as I have said right from the beginning of all this. When the prices are up over double where they were you will be able to get all the ammo you need again. It was all about the money.

Jwp721

Single-Sixer
$89 for a bulk box of 500 Federals. Same store was selling 50 pack Remington Golds for $8.99. This was back in February.

Was looking for an SR on gunbroker.com in late January. They were going as high as $425. Found one for a buy it now for $395. Noticed it was the store mentioned above which is 3 miles from my house. Went down and offered the owner $350 cash and he refused. I tried to split the difference and offered $375. Still refused. Saw the $89 box of Federals as I was walking out the door never to return. Found my SR a few days later for $325.

May be a sellers market right now, but when it changes this buyer will remember.

DDDWho

Bearcat
C-Store down the road (I'm working from memory here) has 50 rounds of "Monarch" for $14.00, I saw a brick of something (quantity unknown) in the case for something in the $140. range.

If you're luck enough to find ammo at Wally they are not gouging.

I have about 800 rounds in "stock" I bought at different places paying not over $2.50 a box. I've almost quit shooting. I may kill an occasional ground hog or armadillo and check zero now and then. I've also quit looking for .22 LR. I'm going to ration myself until sanity returns.

98PK

Bearcat
Bought some of those CCI "quiet cartridges" (can be shot in back yard?) for $3.95 at Walmart last year. That is about as much as I have ever paid for any 50 rd. box. So far I haven't had to pay the extortion prices, but my .22 supply is about to run out.

98PK

Bearcat
Wait, I have purchased Stingers and Velocitors that may have cost more- like a dollar or two. Does firing these cartridges cause accelerated wear/damage to MKII pistols? I read that Stingers can actually leave the barrell slower than standard velocity 40 grain loads. Is it really bad to fire these hopped-up cartridges?

6gun

Hunter
Well that takes the cake highest I have ever seen now was right here on this web site in classifieds today $190 for 950 rounds :shock: the seller should be ashamed of himself taking advantage of another forum member, I wish him bad Karma.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=186976

At $0.20 per round, this is the absolute highest/biggest rip off price I have seen.

I was in several sporting goods stores this week just looking at handgun prices. Every one of them had a pretty decent selection including plenty of 22. All are still limiting sales to just 1 brick.

I personally sold some at the peak of the shortage for $50 a brick, and I felt guilty for doing it. :oops:

The buyer was happy and I needed the bucks to complete a purchase. :)

reddrumtoo

Bearcat
$25 for a box of 50 low grade 22 shells & $ 1.00 each for five H.P. 22 shells . A single woman wanted some ammo for self defense & bought these from a saddle shop scalper & no I don't believe he did kiss her. I told her if she needed any more I would give her some ammo.

6gun

Hunter
blume357 said:
I think I may have just agreed to buy some for the highest price I've ever paid. did my math wrong (early in the a.m.) and said "I'll take it". It is target ammo, but still.

I feel bad for you to get stuck with a deal like that, it's not real high grade target ammo and can be had for $25 or less from any store that has it in stock, I'm willing to bet not a person here on the forum would think bad of you if you contacted the seller and backed out of the deal, you seem like a real nice guy and I hate to see you taken.

fyimo

Bearcat
I have seen some local shops here that were selling 550 round bricks of Federal 22LR for $65 and I passed but yesterday I picked up two at a local gun store for $36 each which is high but not gouging prices so I paid it. Around here you see very little in the way of 22LR ammo and no gun powder (that's not shotgun powder) or any primers at all. I read reports that things are getting better but it hasn't happened around here yet. Gun prices have dropped and stores now have AR's at near normal prices but no 223 ammo and if they do they want $25 for 20 rounds.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
6gun said:
blume357 said:
I think I may have just agreed to buy some for the highest price I've ever paid. did my math wrong (early in the a.m.) and said "I'll take it". It is target ammo, but still.

I feel bad for you to get stuck with a deal like that, it's not real high grade target ammo and can be had for $25 or less from any store that has it in stock, I'm willing to bet not a person here on the forum would think bad of you if you contacted the seller and backed out of the deal, you seem like a real nice guy and I hate to see you taken.

+2!!

6gun

Hunter
I'm guessing the classified on the forum were put here for honest members to make honest trades with one another, seems to me when someone uses the classifieds to scalp, gouge and take advantage of others they need to stopped, I'm only a guess here so what I have to say about it aint worth 2 cents, but I have a feeling the folks that run this site must feel the same way cause most here seem very honest, also the seller of the ammo is a liberal and has admitted it in past posts so personally I would have never trusted him in the first place.

JimHnSTL

Single-Sixer
Here in st louis over the weekend i picked up CCI Mini Mags at regular price from the Cabelas store.
why anyone would pay some of the prices i've seen is beyond me. maybe if i was getting ammo in trade on things i would want to sell them high too. oops did i say that?

Tenbore

Single-Sixer
Highest I ever paid was about $14 for Federals a couple years ago. Most of what I have on hand I paid between $7.99 and $9.99 a brick. I have enough on hand to outlast me so no way am I going to pay a scalpers price.