What's the farthest you shoot @ the range?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ConradM

Blackhawk
I don't usually shoot past 15 yards. IMO I don't think theres any situation where a normal person should be engaging a BG that far away.

Oh and I'm talking pistols if you didn't know.

The other side of the coin is if you can shoot a handgun good at say 50 yards then you can shoot it really really good at 15.

50 and 75 feet is my norm.

In silhouette competition you go out to 100 yards.

kscott

Single-Sixer
Self defense drills and shooting- normally 15 yds and in. But I'll shoot my mkIII outside of that and sometimes other pistols but I'm pretty sure you're referring to defensive situations so I agree.

kd4rgwml

Single-Sixer
I always include some 50 yard shooting if i can, most is 7 yards and 15 yards. But i have been crazy and shot 100 yards with my 9mm interesting what you find out about your gun :shock:

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
I think that we should practice with our handguns out past 15 or even 25 yards. We practice with our defensive weapons to be prepared for a social conflict of the gravest kind. We should be ready to make a head shot at extended range, in the case that a punk has grabbed one of our loved ones. A direct shot to the brain might be needed to shut him down. I would rather risk hitting one of my grandkids than to have them taken away, only to find parts later. If we carry a gun, we need to practice to be the absolute best that we can, and hope that we never have to prove it. We need the ability, and the equipment, to assure a solid hit at any range that might feasibly be required.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I shoot I'd say 80% at 50 feet, 10% at 25 yards, and 10% at an 8 inch metal diamond at just over 50 yards. I can generally hit the gong with my handguns about 3 out of 5 times, and the misses are damn close, except with the KT 380 ... I don't even try with that one.

REV

Mike J

Hunter
Most of my practice is between 7 & 15 yards. I do like to shoot at 25 yards sometimes just to see what I can do out there. I agree with Blume the better I am at farther distances the better I will be up close.

jbender

Bearcat
Most of the time i shoot between 7 and 15 yards however............

kd4rgwml":2sulyksy said:
100 yards with my 9mm interesting what you find out about your gun :shock:

I have done this and it is absolutely 100% true.

JB

tdyoung58

Bearcat
mostly between 7 - 25 yards

Can hit a B-27 COM pretty regular at 50 yards

But have lobbed a few at 200 yards before, more like a morter round I think

tookalisten

Blackhawk
Carry weapons (SR9 or SP101) - 1 yd to 15 yds mostly.
SBH - 25 to 50 yds (open sights)
Mk II - out to 25 yds; but sometimes as far as I can see just because I like to shoot it so much.

Al James

Hunter
I shoot 95% under 15 yards but find it fun and amusing to shoot at all distances out to 100 yards. I always read online, in print and have been told in training how no responsible citizen should have to shoot someone at more than a very short distance...say 15 yards. In most cases I can see this being the case. I do feel that there will and has been circumstances where a little "long distance" handgun training would have been helpful for the good guys. What was it the hollywood shooting where two doped up bank robbers with AK47's proceded to over power LAPD for 45 minutes? They were able to do this because they had body armor on and nobody could hit them in the head. I think that had there been an officer, or 5, or all of them who were required to shoot and qualify at more than standard qualifying distances the outcome would have been a little different [Sorry if youre a LAPD officer reading this and youre a regular 100 yard pistolero who was there getting shot at and couldnt hit anything!] :shock:

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
Most of my shooting is at 7-15 yards. some 25 yd. I did some 100 yd shooting with a Beretta 92 I had. What an amazing gun. I wouldn't even bother trying to hit out to 50 yds with the glock 22 I had.

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
With a MarkII 50 feet is normal, with my SR9 i work at 7 yds out to 50 feet. But with the G19 it does shoot further than 21 ft. :D :D

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
Al James":36jyqthr said:
I shoot 95% under 15 yards but find it fun and amusing to shoot at all distances out to 100 yards. I always read online, in print and have been told in training how no responsible citizen should have to shoot someone at more than a very short distance...say 15 yards. In most cases I can see this being the case.
Unless they are shooting at you, of course.

Most of my shooting is 50 feet or less, but I also will hit targets pretty regularly at 50 yards with my .45, and up to 300 yards with my .44.

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
Jumping Frog":24zxbuut said:
Al James":24zxbuut said:
I shoot 95% under 15 yards but find it fun and amusing to shoot at all distances out to 100 yards. I always read online, in print and have been told in training how no responsible citizen should have to shoot someone at more than a very short distance...say 15 yards. In most cases I can see this being the case.
Unless they are shooting at you, of course.

Most of my shooting is 50 feet or less, but I also will hit targets pretty regularly at 50 yards with my .45, and up to 300 yards with my .44.

Is that a 4440 ? Sounds like that gun from "Down Under" or was that a 4580..... hehehehe

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
We use T-1 steel targets, mostly at 7, 16, & 25 yards, but regularly at 100 yard targets (yes, with handguns - most often revolvers) and we frequently have impromptu "Paiute Rock" practice at ranges of anywhere from 100 to 500 yards or further. Paiute Rock is a formation roughly the size of a very small refrigerator and strikes as well as near misses can easily be seen.

targetset107.jpg

PaiuteRockFromCurlysGate.jpg

Latest posts