what's the deal

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I bought a 454 alaskan last year and have shot it. Everywhere you look people are talking about how brutal the 454 is in the recoil. My pistol shoots smooth with very light recoil. I have a sp101 that has comparable recoil with 357's to the 454. Maybe the longer bbl's have a lot more recoil than the snubby alaskan. Almost everything I see is talking about the brutal recoil with 454 mine is a sweet shooting pistol. I'm not recoil sensative or anything and don't really care if a pistol recoils but mine is almost wimpy for what it is. It may just be the short bbl's because I have a 500 S&W 4" its a stiff recoiling pistol but not bad to shoot. It normally comes loaded in 350 gr bullets I have some 700 gr cast bullets that I use that aren't hardly any more recoil than the 350's made by hornady. It's like people are trying to steer others away from the 454 for some reason. I enjoy mine and think it's a fine little pistol and a sweet shooter.

G2

Hunter
I agree :D :D

Federal Fusion you can't hardly tell ANY difference. Now throw a heavy Corbon and you know you pulled the trigger, but NOT punishing. The Grip is the best, with the gel pack. No bind, bite what-so-ever.

I bought it on a whim and the price was right. Now one of my favorites.

My Preferred ammo is Speer Gold Dot 300 gr.

bigchillymn

Bearcat
I also get tired of people talking about the heavy recoil of the 454, I have 357s that have more sting. My 454 has a 8 3/8 in barrell, that is magnaported,. As the bullet weights go up, you can certainly notice a difference in recoil, but certainly not punishing or brutal. All I can say is the people talking about unbearable recoil are probably the same people that put recoil pads on their 223s.

azrugershooter

Single-Sixer
tek4260":28ukgpx8 said:
And it's a measly 1140 from a 4 5/8"

It is funny how people will stay away from a 4 5/8 45 colt blackhawk with heavy bullet loads. I have friends that won't touch my blackhawk unless it's loaded with standard pressure 45 colt ammo or even wimpier cowboy action action loads! :lol: :lol:

dougader

Hunter
I hated my 7.5" SRH in 454, both before and after magnaporting.

In comparison, my 454 Alaskan is a pussycat. I think that Hogue grip with sorbathane has something to do with it.