What's the coldest temp you fired your P95?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

thesid

Bearcat
Last January, I was at the range on a sunny and cold morning. It was 10 degrees out. The P95 at the time had at least 750 rounds through it with some hiccups due to first cleaning and holding it properly. That day it fail to feed/ to eject multiple times with stock and mec gar mags. Ammo used was Remmington and Federal. I was so disillusioned with the performance I was ready to send it in to Ruger. My Glock 23 had no problems...

Today, temp @ 43 degrees, when I went to the range I shot hundred rounds through it without a problem. I bought this pistol new. Living in a state where cold weather is the norm, am I to expect this pistol not to work in extreme conditions? If this is the case that is very disappointing indeed.

I am probably going the call ruger any ways and ask them about the feed ramp and hammer. This will be a topic for another thread. :?

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
thesid":1b8i3mm0 said:
Last January, I was at the range on a sunny and cold morning. It was 10 degrees out. The P95 at the time had at least 750 rounds through it with some hiccups due to first cleaning and holding it properly. That day it fail to feed/ to eject multiple times with stock and mec gar mags. Ammo used was Remmington and Federal. I was so disillusioned with the performance I was ready to send it in to Ruger. My Glock 23 had no problems...

Today, temp @ 43 degrees, when I went to the range I shot hundred rounds through it without a problem. I bought this pistol new. Living in a state where cold weather is the norm, am I to expect this pistol not to work in extreme conditions? If this is the case that is very disappointing indeed.

I am probably going the call ruger any ways and ask them about the feed ramp and hammer. This will be a topic for another thread. :?

I wonder if you had just too much "OIL" and "Grease" in gun????

427mach1

Blackhawk
What temperature was the gun? Was the ammo at the same temperature? In addition to lubricant becoming more viscous at lower temperatures (a very real possibility), there is the possibility that the barrel/chamber contracted differently than the shell casings. Steel and brass will contract (when cooled) or expand (when heated) differently. I don't have my books at home so I can't tell you how the "coefficients of thermal expansion" for steel and brass compare but I think brass expands and contracts more than steel. If the steel were cold and the brass were warm, you could have experienced interference problems. The clearances might be different for the Glock and Ruger, so one might perform better at lower temperatures.

That being said, I would still check the grease/oil first.

bub

Single-Sixer
Sounds like an oil/grease problem. When temps get cold, depending on the oil/grease used, it becomes a LOT more viscous (thicker) and can become viscous enough to slow the slide enough to cause malfunctions. Adding more oil/grease causes more problems because you are, in essence, adding more sludge to your gun, which slows it up even more.

Best thing you can do if you know you are going to be shooting in cold weather is to either use an oil that is rated for that temp or else not oil at all. Guns should be able to run with very little/no lube. It will cause more wear but they should run. All I have used since the early '90's is Break Free and have never had a problem down to about -10 or so, the coldest weather I have shot in. Myself, I NEVER use grease, because my guns are self-defense guns and I might well need to run them at -10, especially my Glock 21 duty gun when I work my PD job. If you do use grease and plan to shoot in extremely cold temps, either change your lube in cold weather or plan on lots of malfs.

Bub

thesid

Bearcat
Thanks for all your input. Too much oil was probably the cause. Less is more with the P95. I was really close in calling it quits with this pistol. I let it sit for 2 1/2 months. But days like yesterday may very well sway my decision to keep it a little bit longer. I cleaned the followers on the mags just in case that was causing it along with making sure the feed ramp and the bar above it is extra clean.

As soon as I find my camera I will be posting pics in another thread about things on the pistol (Marks and such) that have me curious. :shock:

Thanks again for the explanations... 8)

FED327

Bearcat
thesid":2wpfzvzi said:

The temp was -7 F..but gun was drawn from inside waistband holster and never got that cold, due to body temp and then heat from firing...

tkarter

Single-Sixer
5 degrees for mine. Pulled it out after leaving it in the truck all day fired 5 shots flawlessly. Warmed up enough to make the cold holster thrill a non happening.

tk

Latest posts