What's the best way to seat the 10-22 barrel retainer?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've used several ways to try to get the barrel aligned perfectly with the wedge. Lately, I've been clamping the barrel in a padded vise and wiggling the receiver with one hand while alternately tightening the screws with the other. Is there a better way or should one even be concerned as long as the extractor is aligned with it's groove in the barrel?
It just seems to me that having the retainer square and as true as mass production machining can allow will improve the performance. Also wonder if mis-alignment is responsible for some of the poor accuracy found by so many 10-22 owners.

vaguru

Bearcat
You're half way there. Clamp barrel in vise, level the dovetail slot in the barrel, then level the receiver, install clamp block and screws. Torque to desired in/lb. Check to make sure extractor aligns with cutout.

I don't have an inch pound torque wrench so just guessed on that part. Tried the level/level thing and it must have worked OK. Zeroed the Weaver 1-3x20 scope yesterday and quit when I had a 3 shot cloverleaf 1/4" below POA @ 25 yards. Well beyond acceptable for a 3x and a gnarly trigger(gonna fix that, parts on the way).
Plenty good enough for rampaging possums, diseased coons, and invading groundhogs.

Heavy Barrel

Single-Sixer
I don't think there is any reason to be concerned about barrel alignment.You have a flat surface on the barrel and receiver,a wedge that will work either side up,if barrel tightened to specs there would be no way the barrel could not be aligned as the wedge on barrel and receiver would be drawn completely together.I have removed and installed many barrels and never seen any change in initial accuracy.

Heavy Barrel said:
I don't think there is any reason to be concerned about barrel alignment.You have a flat surface on the barrel and receiver,a wedge that will work either side up,if barrel tightened to specs there would be no way the barrel could not be aligned as the wedge on barrel and receiver would be drawn completely together.I have removed and installed many barrels and never seen any change in initial accuracy.

+1 :!:

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Heavy Barrel said:

+1 more and a "giggle". I use a hex wrench after cleaning the threads with an oil displacing solvent, and then a drop or two of #262 Blue Loctite. That seems to quell the tremendous vibrations cause by .22 Long Rifle rounds fairly well, as I haven't had a 10/22 barrel block loosen up since 1964. Guess I've just been lucky!

Several of the aftermarket 10/22 barrels, such as those sold by Tony Kidd are a shrink fit of the barrel shank into the receiver receptacle. After that, the barrel block just helps with some bit of alignment.