What's a .38 Colt Agent with the shroud worth?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
I went with my SIL to Atlanta's show today. The only gun that really caught my attention was an exposed ejector rod Colt as mentioned in the title. It was 100% except for: No box/docs, and it wore Herrett's Shooting Star grips. I passed, but maybe I shouldn't have. The original grips, though not #'d to the gun, would cost a bit. The shroud was original and had the rampant pony logo.

Thoughts? I don't mind posting the price, but I thought I'd throw this out there to see if I really messed up by not buying it. Thanks...

Cholo

Staff member
It was 100% but without the original grips, $685. Colts are only going up, and I'd own it except for that one thing. I hope I didn't mess up... :)

pete44ru

Hunter

FWIW, I've bought more than a few guns over the years, with a (say) $700 price tag, by just laying my cash offer on the counter (at least $100 less than the asking price), telling the seller/owner (not some clerk) that I'd buy the gun, but "this" (pointing to the cash) is all I have to spend - then keeping my mouth firmly shut (the first person to speak, loses ;) ).

AkRay

Single-Sixer
I don't think Colt numbered the grips to their guns. Smith & Wesson did but I don't think Colt did.

also keep in mind ,some guns came from Colt with the shroud, others were "added" , sold and installed later on, the shroud came n a little brown box ,with the small screws for mounting.............
no the Colt grips were NOT numbered to the guns , and just depends, on which "D " frame it has the short stubby (later) or the longer ,skinny frame early guns so cold be Detective special, Cobra or Agent and later the Diamondback............nice "shrouded" guns are pushing the $1000 marked if mint and boxed,,,sen them more and had them for less, last boxed shroud we sold for over $200 ............if you remove the shroud, there will be two small holes, one on each side of the frame....looks "bad"................. :roll:

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
Colts are going out of sight pricewise. I went to a local show yesterday and saw a couple of Trooper Mk IIIs for sale, one was $800 the other a more reasonable $595. Then I spotted an old Colt .357 (the early one with the same internals as a Python) and got excited; but it turned out to be a not-very-well-done refinish so I passed at $575.

Latest posts