Whatever happened to cowboy boots?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wolfsong

Staff member
Most of today's boots are less "cowboy" boot and more "western" boot. For many years cowboy boots were work boots, to be worn working from the back of a horse. They weren't intended to be walked in much, they were designed to protect the lower legs and fit a stirrup. Today's boots are more of a fashion statement than utilitarian footwear.

I marvel at the intricate, colorful and fancy designs of today's shafts. What's the point when your pant legs are covering them up?

turd

Blackhawk
I wore roach kickers for a lot of years. Had a pair of Tony Llamas that lasted for a long time, half soled, new heels, even re-died them. Then my feet started getting wider and the boots were no more. I, too, always wondered why the fancy shafts? The style was to wear jeans long enough to drag on the floor.

Selena

Hunter
The need for pointed toe boots comes from them being easier to thread into a stirrup. Since fewer and fewer of younger buyers have even seen a horse they opt for the more comfortable wider toe. Since that is what the majority is buying... that's what the suppliers stock and the manufacturers make. But take heart, with the democrats in power it won't be long until horses are cheaper to use than automobiles and the pointed toe cowboy boot will come back.

I have 3 pairs of pull on boots, 2 pair are Ariat (one pair is VERY fancy), semi pointed, more round than pointed and are very comfortable and one pair is Danner and they are my go to "work" boot (unless I am doing stuff that I want extra ankle support). The Danners are very comfortable, easy to get on and off.

This is what they look like: https://www.danner.com/men/all-footwear/bull-run-wellington-11-brown-round-toe.html

Whenever they wear out I'll replace them with another pair if they still make them.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I work for a living so cowboy boots won't cut it.
I wear lace up work boots.
They are all I wear , working or not.

I have one pair of pull on boots.
The only time I wear them is for weddings and funerals.
Nobody gets married any more , so I guess they are my funeral boots now.

SteveRuger

Hunter
When my boot stove was closing down here, I went in & tried on all the round toe boot the had in full quill Ostrich came home withe 6 pair of boots 2 still in the top of the closet yes is was expensive but they are the style I like & fit like a glove. Plus I will never have to go boot shopping again!
Not to mention what boots are sell for now!

Knuckles

Buckeye
I like cowboy boots, got me a pair made from ostrich skin, can’t ware them when I play music anymore, they hurt my bunion. 🤠

KS25-06

Bearcat
Get on Ebay, they have lots of boots for sale. I always wanted a pair of lizard boots in what I believe they called the color peanut brittle. Found a pair of Tony Llamas in my size with the pointed toes of years gone by. They were almost new for $90.00 with free shipping.

Wyandot Jim

Hawkeye
Well Son lives about 5 miles West of Justin Texas home of Justin Boots. They have every type including the OLD FASHIONED kind. I have worn Cowboy Boots most of my adult life NO SQUARE TOES ALLOWED

eveled

Hunter
I marvel at the intricate, colorful and fancy designs of today's shafts. What's the point when your pant legs are covering them up?

I, too, always wondered why the fancy shafts? The style was to wear jeans long enough to drag on the floor.

The stitching is there to make the shafts stiff. So they don’t slouch down or flop over. The fancy intricate designs are a point of pride for the maker.

Last edited:

badguybuster

Single-Sixer
I wear cowboy boots every day and work in them a lot so they must be comfortable. I sent a measurements of my feet, ankle and calf muscle to Dan Post and had boots made. Now they dont offer that service so when the two pair I have (re-soled locally) wear out I have no idea what I will do

t-reg

Single-Sixer
I work for a living so cowboy boots won't cut it.
I wear lace up work boots.
They are all I wear , working or not.

I have one pair of pull on boots.
The only time I wear them is for weddings and funerals.
Nobody gets married any more , so I guess they are my funeral boots now.

Same here.

Plus, I haven't worn pull cowboy boots for horseback riding for 10 years now, and I ride a lot.

sfhogman

Buckeye
I can tell ya that the old-fashioned pointy toed boots make very good motorcycle boots...this from a vantage point of over 50 years. Never miss a shift!
Right now I am wearing surplus- but new- desert combat boots. Sort of a modern version of my old issue jungle boots...cool and comfortable.

Jeff

Mobuck

Hawkeye
"The truck drivers stopped wearing cowboy boots years ago. They now wear tennis shoes."
Most I see don't even wear shoes. Sandals at best and most go with flipflops. You see their gnarly black feet propped on the dash of their truck and wonder "How the heck would they use the brake pedal?"

Jon406

Bearcat
Dang I still have a good pair of boots, no shopping for me... but my last pair of boots was Laredo's and still wearing good.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
It's NOT cowboys who are buying most of those "cowboy boots". I have two pairs of 'dress boots' but don't wear them anymore. When my hip got so bad I couldn't bear the pain caused by trying to pull the boots off...

Simple fact of life and a consideration of my need to sit when donning/removing footwear.
Hi,

Mobuck,, do you have a boot jack?

I wore western boots for years and years until I rearranged the shape of my big toe with a heavy piece of metal, so only one or two pairs in the closet can be worn for more than a half hour or so before getting painful. A bottle of baby powder sat right next to the boot jack. A shot of powder went down the shaft in the morning, and the boots just slid right on. The boot jack helped 'em slip off just about as easily at the end of the day, while I was still standing.

Rick C

Fox Mike

Hawkeye
I have a pair of Red Wing, that I was given by a guy that bought them but then didn't like them. I got them in 1976 and still wear them. Been re-heeled once.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Old Fashioned is relative . For grins check out actual 1860- 1900 era boots .

What we now think of as " old style cowboy boots/ clothes " date to circa 1920's .

Latest posts