Whatever happened to cowboy boots?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I was in need of a new Sunday pair of boots, and began searching the internet. Sheplers was first option, then Boot City, and Tecovas. Found the pair I liked at Tecovas, but they were not available in my size, and apparently never would get them in in any reasonable time. So went to local western store and did find a pair of Justins that were my size and suited me.

But boots? When I was younger, cowboy boots were snip toe or pointed toe, with undershot cowboy heel, of stacked leather, with a spur ridge and made of leather. Ninety per cent of the boots on the shelves had12" shafts, low flat heels, and duck foot like toes. And pimply looking leather at that. Most of their boots would double as swim fins.

Who is dictating this fashion?

Bob Wright

hittman

Staff member
Who is dictating this fashion?
The buying public which is NOT those of us age 60-plus.

I know two people who own western wear stores in my area. Both say they have a really hard time getting any cowboy boots are are NOT square toe. I was looking for a pair like you describe just a month ago.

Manufacturers tell them the current market and predictions for the immediate future do not include our “style” with a more pointed toe or with that traditional heel design. We are not their future.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
Come out west.
Our boot stores are full of them.

As far as style goes.
When it comes to fads , cowboys have always been some of the worst.
Whenever a new fad comes out , every so called cowboy out there has to run down and get it.
Hats and boots are on the top of their list .

nrobe50

Buckeye
If you can find a bootmaker in your area they will make a pair of boots to your specs and will last for many years. I have a couple of pair that I have worn for near 25 years and they still look good. Been half soled a few times. They will cost a bunch but if your guy is a real bootmaker, they will fit like a glove.

noahmercy

Single-Sixer
Come out west.
Our boot stores are full of them.

As far as style goes.
When it comes to fads , cowboys have always been some of the worst.
Whenever a new fad comes out , every so called cowboy out there has to run down and get it.
Hats and boots are on the top of their list .

You nailed it. Cowboys have bought clothing and footwear that some would consider "gaudy" since there have been cowboys. Roll into town after a drive, get their pay, and go buy the brightest shirt and dandiest trousers they could, so the ladies would notice them. (Called peacocking, I believe.) Those eye-popping modern Cinch shirts? Not a new thing, and neither are coffin- and round-toed boots. They're actually the original cowboy boot styles, and the cockroach stompers are a Hollywood creation, like buscadero holster rigs. Here in Wyoming, you can find boots with all combinations of toe styles and heels, walking or riding (even Cuban heels).

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
If you want a good hand made boot look at Stewart Boots.
They are in Tucson Arizona and are the only company left that makes true hand made boots.

wolfsong

Staff member
Ditto on westernwear stores in my neck of the woods. Pointed "J" toes, snipped toes, round toes and square toes. Enough for all tastes and ages. Straw hats are the same - something for everyone. Just picked up a new Stetson straw for the summer. No square shovel brim for me, thankyouverymuch! But the prices sure have gone up, like everything else. $140 for a casual straw it about twice as much as I've usually paid.

I hope this Stetson holds up as well as another Stetson straw I have. It's pushing 30 years young, with no holes except the one I put my head in. Probably protected by the many layers of mud, sweat, blood, cow shite, ag dust and diesel, baked on by years of sun. It is, of course, my favorite shade, but the womenfolk HATE it!

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
In my semi vicinity , I can't comment on the western wear establishments , because there are no longer any . ( Other than the clothing department @ Tractor Supply .)

But 2.5 hr away , just over the state line is huge place , with big selection of boots , hats , and clothing .

My current everyday hat for the last several years is actually from TS . Actually have two , a black one that only got worn for playing music pre Zombie Apocalypse , and a chocolate brown heavily stain , with hat pins reflecting my occupation , state 2A group , IBT Local , and a Dobro .

eveled

Hunter
95CA48E1 25B1 4286 B96A 22D32667E438

Mobuck

Hawkeye
It's NOT cowboys who are buying most of those "cowboy boots". I have two pairs of 'dress boots' but don't wear them anymore. When my hip got so bad I couldn't bear the pain caused by trying to pull the boots off, I set them in a corner and never went back. I use one pair of 'pull on' work type boots (not cowboy boots) if I expect I'll need to take my boots off when entering someone's home.
Simple fact of life and a consideration of my need to sit when donning/removing footwear.

blume357

Hawkeye
My first question with any boot, "Where is is made?" I'll admit that for a lot of other stuff I buy it will probably be made in China or some other cheap slave labor country but with boots, that's where I draw the line... well that and guns.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
As to "straw hats" I learned they are not really straw, but paper. From what I've learned, this is a product from Mexico. Paper is bleached, twisted into long "threads" and then impregnated with plastic. This is the fiber from which most straw hats are made. The end product is waterproof, even washable, to a degree, and much more durable than even the finest Panama straw.

Bob Wright

black1970

Single-Sixer
The truck drivers stopped wearing cowboy boots years ago. They now wear tennis shoes.

peachhead

Bearcat
Those square toe boots fit my feet a lot better than any pointed toe ever did. Also I prefer the lower heels, a lot easier on my knees. I just got a new pair of Tecovas, most comfortable boots out of the box I ever had.

Mega Twin

Blackhawk
My first question with any boot, "Where is is made?" I'll admit that for a lot of other stuff I buy it will probably be made in China or some other cheap slave labor country but with boots, that's where I draw the line... well that and guns.
Ariat that tractor supply and orschelns sell are made in china now.

toysoldier

Hunter
I'm happy to hear that pointy-toe high-heel boots are on the way out. In 40+ years as a scrub tech, the only bunionectomies I was scrubbed in on that weren't women who had been wearing high heels for years was a guy who had worn cowboy boots for many years---and our gay, black, gospel-singing orderly, who jammed his feet into pointy-toed Italian shoes.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Knees, hips and back now mandate “sensible” shoes. I keep my alligator and my snakeskin boots for dress occasions. You know those times when jeans just aren’t fancy enough.

My favorite boots for everyday are a pair of Keens. Like Redwings (my work boots) some styles are still US made. But you have to check each style.

6GUNSONLY

Hunter
On our annual New Mexico trip I always stop at the Nocona boot factory (Nocona, Texas), which has an outlet store on site. They seem to have a lot of what "we" (viejos) think of when we say cowboy boots. I've had my old Tony Llamas with the dogger heels half-soled and new heel plates once already because they are so hard to find.i used to wear the "buckaroo" style boots all the time (pointed to, dogger heels, 15" shaft) but have come to like a more moderate shaft height. I need a new pair of black dressy boots so that's what I'll be looking for in Nocona next month.

Fox Mike

Hawkeye
I am about an hour from any truly western wear store so I headed to the local Tractor Supply to look for some 'kick-around" boots. Loots of boots but all square toe designs and flat heels.

Latest posts