What would be the best accessory for a 10/22 22LR rifle.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gorwell1984

Bearcat
I recently purchased a 10/220 rifle . It's a 40th anniversity model and shoot spot on.
I would like to add the best accessory to this rifle, possibly a larger magazine for maybe 25 rounds etc. Would someone mind advising me on the best larger capacity magazine to purchase for this particular rifle?
Everything else seems to be perfect.
It has a Tasco 3 powered scope on it which is spot on up to 50 yards.

Also, what ammo do you reccommend for this 22 LR. and grain for target shooting.

Thanks,
Gorwell1984

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum.
Well, there are a LOT of possible accessories for the 10/22. Extended capacity mags can be finicky in some guns. I personally prefer to use just the factory mags.
I have a couple of "as factory issued" 10/22's and I have tricked out one. I preferred to add accuracy enhancing items to mine. I went the heavy (.920) barrel, a Hogue overmold stock, a Volquartsen trigger group, and a Leupold scope. At 50 yds, I can cover 10 shots with a dime.
You can add extended mag releases, extended bolt releases, recoil buffers, fancy to plain stocks, tactical set-ups, etc. I just happened to choose very simple accuracy enhancing items.
As for ammo; buy several types to see what YOUR gun prefers as the best, most accurate & functioning type.

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
ab4ka":ldwpvupd said:
The only accessory I'd suggest is lots and lots of ammo :D

That and a sling. You say you already have a scope.

If you want anything more, you'll figue it out as you go along.

IMHO
I can't think of anything uglier than extended magazines. (Barf) Take a nice rifle with smooth lines, and stick a wart on it. One of the big reasons I like the 10/22 (and the 77/22) is the flush fit magazine.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Best bang for the buck in hi-cap mags is the Butler Creek Steel Lips. At about $30 (or less), they work very reliably. I have six and they've been trouble-free. It's great to be able to get into position (such as sitting) and shoot 150 rounds without having to reload mags.

Bearcat
I suggest using factory mags, getting an aftermarket trigger group or having yours accurized, and maybe get the bolt tuned. I work in a gun store and 90% of the aftermarket high-cap mags we sell come back.

Desert Dawg

Bearcat
High capacity magazines for the delightful and fun to shoot 10-22 baffles me.

Getting five well aimed shots off - and I only load five at the range - is enough for me.

25 well aimed shots are beyond me in stamina, desire and making sense.
Which is not an insult toward you, but simply that . . . to my eyes, hosing down the landscape with lead doesn't make sense.

I'll go along with the recommendations to get a good sling on the rifle.
I like dedicated slings on a particular rifle and one of mine that doesn't have one yet - waiting for a trip to BassPro - is sorely lacking in convenient handling....

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
jimd441":bxoyx9iv said:
CajunBass,

I agree 100%

Jim

another +1 here. That's one thing that attracted me to the 10/22 was the flush fit mag. I think it is such a sweet little rifle in it's stock condition. I was at Walmart a couple of days ago and they had a Walmart special in the case and I WANT IT! Don't have the funds, but I want it. I haven't done a thing to my 10/22 other than put a red dot on it, but I want to add a sling and that will be about it. I shot it again Saturday and remembered why I like it so much :D

Snake45

Hawkeye
Desert Dawg":29lzi305 said:
25 well aimed shots are beyond me in stamina, desire and making sense.
Which is not an insult toward you, but simply that . . . to my eyes, hosing down the landscape with lead doesn't make sense.
I shoot at 1/6 scale Mil E silhouettes at 50 feet, which is like shooting at full-size ones at 100 yards, from standing and sitting. I aim every shot and shoot as fast as I can get a sight picture and a "compressed surprise break" on the trigger. I don't have a timer but I estimate I'm shooting a little faster than one shot per second. Out of 150 shots, I'll sometimes have a 148 or 149 but usually I have all 150 hits and I usually have a nice dime-sized hole right at center mass (50 shots on each of 3 targets).

If you consider that to be "hosing down the landscape with lead," then so be it.

Desert Dawg

Bearcat
Not in your case.
You strike me as a serious shooter and your results prove it out.

Are you shooting a 10-22?

I find it interesting that the kids putting the big magazines on the 10-22's have so many jam-ups that they'd perhaps be better off using two or three loaded factory magazines.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Desert Dawg":1h2n7csl said:
Are you shooting a 10-22?
Yes, among others. Weather permitting, I'll shoot three rifles this way a week for a total of 450 rounds. One is a DPMS M4 clone in .22, one is the 10/22, and the third one varies. So far this year it's been an ERMA EM-1 carbine clone and a Jager AP-80 (AK-22). I have several other rifles I try to cycle through my "program" every year. If everything goes according to plan, I'll shoot somewhere between 9,000 and 11,000 rounds in rifles this year (current round count is 4,500).

I usually shoot standing but recently started shooting the 10/22 from sitting as well, because it's very convenient to load up those six hi-caps and I don't have to screw around with my position to keep shooting, as I would have to with the other rifles because I only have one or two mags each for those.

mrofna

Bearcat
you couldnt give me a high cap mag for a 10/22 had one shot 7 rds and jam fix jam and shoot 5 more and jam.. now i have 5 10/22 stock mags and no jams ... over 3000 rds shot in my 10/22 noproblems with the stock mags...

chris

Snake45

Hawkeye
I had something like 2200 rounds through hi-caps in my 10/22 last year, and 1500 so far this year without one single mag-related malf. The ONLY problems I've had have been with underpowered bulk ammo.

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
You NEED an aftermarket hammer and sear.

Scope and sling are not necessary, but will improve the experience.

That being said, yep :d I've got a 10/22 .920 in a Hogue overmold with quick release bolt and extended mag release, Power Custom trigger innards and a Nikon 3-9 x 40 on it, not to mention the Harris bipod...

But the one I reach for most often is my Plain Jane 10/22 and it's only got the PC hammer and sear and the extended mag release.

Factory mags are the way to go and they work in my 96/22 as well, but the Butler Creek 20 rounders work nicely so long as you only load 20 and not the full 25.

hpman66

Hunter
MMichaelAK":7xi3kkg0 said:
You NEED an aftermarket hammer and sear.

Scope and sling are not necessary, but will improve the experience.

That being said, yep :d I've got a 10/22 .920 in a Hogue overmold with quick release bolt and extended mag release, Power Custom trigger innards and a Nikon 3-9 x 40 on it, not to mention the Harris bipod...

But the one I reach for most often is my Plain Jane 10/22 and it's only got the PC hammer and sear and the extended mag release.

Factory mags are the way to go and they work in my 96/22 as well, but the Butler Creek 20 rounders work nicely so long as you only load 20 and not the full 25.

I almost agree with MMichaelAK. You do need to get the hammer(I didn't get the sear) and get a Exact Edge Extractor(Volquartsen from Rimfire Sports and Custom, free shipping). The hammer should get your trigger pull down to about 2.5+/-lbs. and the extractor will solve about any FTE problems and improve reliablity.

Snake45

Hawkeye
The extractor might or might not be a must-need item. Both my 10/22s run just fine with the factory extractor but I have a Rhineland R22 which uses a 10/22 bolt and that thing gave me all kinds of stovepiping problems until I replaced the extractor with a VQ unit.

If you're cheap, you can just remove the factory extractor, file a more aggressive angle into the hook, replace it, and it'll work almost as well as any aftermarket unit. (Yes, I tried that too.)

I also tend to forget that newer 10/22s often "need" some help with the trigger. My 1966 one (the one I shoot all the time) has a pull of somewhere between 3 and 4 pounds and as crisp as you can imagine and I think it's just fine. My 1985 gun's trigger is also crisp but is more in the 5 to 6 pound range. Not great but okay for me. I understand many of the new ones have gritty, creepy triggers of over 6 pounds. I'd have to do something about one of those.