What type of wood?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Epoch

Bearcat
Chestnut
gramps
+1. That color "tone" and straight grain... That equals chestnut to me. That's some beautiful wood, and unfortunately rare these days if the American variety. There was a member selling American Chestnut single action grips here many years ago, carved from a salvaged beam out of an old house in the Eastern states. I wasn't fast enough to buy a set and still think about them.

I have no idea, but saw a pair today at the show , on a GP100 same exact looking wood and grain as above, NO finish looked crude, my friend said it looked like the wood the Amish make pallets out of...........even RUger American hardwood ( ha ha) , birch, but(n) they call it "peruvian pisspine" on the 10/22 looked far nicer..........sad really

kean57

Single-Sixer
Thanks to everyone who took the time to lend their thoughts and expertise. Several friends who are woodworkers and have worked with many types of wood over the years have positively identified these as oak. The only debate is between white or red oak. I'm satisfied with their conclusions.

Chestnut wood
1670258672615.jpeg
1670258672615.jpeg

oldcrab

Bearcat
Looks like Oak to me.... both red and white have the same grain and hardness and machinability, but the red has more mineral content in it, that gives it the great variation in color and tones.... both are great. Nice looking material!

woodsy

Blackhawk
I have built more than 500 pieces of furniture to sell before I retired, using common furniture woods and exotics added as trim. I don't think any of the previous suggestions are correct. A problem is that you can only show part of the wood, not its end grain, etc.
I suggest you look at the woods on this website, from which I purchased much "pretty" wood over the years.

Latest posts