what tool for opening 45 colt cylinder?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

240gr&up

Bearcat
I want open my Blackhawks cylinders to .4525 , what tool am I looking for? A reamer or a flex hone? I plan on buying the tool and taking it to machine shop for a professional job.
Thanks,

jgt

Buckeye
Brownell's was selling them made by Manson. The flex hone is just to polish cylinders so brass ejects easily. Good luck.

w5lx

Single-Sixer
Send it to CAS at www.cylindersmith.com. I just got my Blackhawk Convertible cylinders back and he does an excellent job at a reasonable price.
If you are just doing a few cylinders, it's not very economical to buy the reamer and accessories and then just have them laying around.

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
I guess if one was going to do a number of gun it might be worth buying the reamer. For me, it was less trouble to send them to cas at Cylindersmith who did the cylinders on two .45 Blackhawks and also the the extra .45ACP on my convertible. Turnaround was quick and the guns do shoot better. I'm right happy with the results. :)

M'BOGO

Buckeye
In the classified section there is a thread where a reamer set is making the rounds, and it will cost you about $5.00 out of pocket, and you do it yourself. It is very easy to do (not much harder than removing a clylinder from a SA), and takes less than a half hour. When your name comes up, you mail the deposit funds to the person who is holding it, and they mail it to you.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I have done seven cylinders, now, with the Manson Reamer Kit. I was trained as a machinist, so it really was a piece of cake.

However, if you are not mechanically inclined, I would suggest the "Cylindersmith". I've heard nothing but good reports and he does quick turn around.

The important thing is that it WAS needed in our revolvers and I, along with two friends, have noticed a great improvement in our .45 Colts (as well as the .45 ACP cylinders).

FWIW
Dale53

240gr&up

Bearcat
Thanks fellas for all the replies. Since I missed the reamer while it was in MI, and I need to get my cylinder done ASAP, I'll will send it out to Cylindersmith. I only have one cylinder to do, so spending $100. on tools is out of the queston.