what to look for in a M77? (515 bucks) vs Marlin XS7 for 450

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ruggedruger

Single-Sixer
I've been looking to buy my first rifle (for deer). Been planning on picking up a Marlin XS7 in .308. I see one used nearby I might get, but then I noticed a Ruger M77 in 30-06. I believe it has a tang safety. It comes with a Redfield Frontier 4x scope (looks older).

I can get the XS7 for about 450 and the M77 for maybe 515.

Maybe that's a no-brainer once you put the prices side by side.

I'd love to hear some opinions?

96/44

Blackhawk
Nothing wrong with the Marlins, but they were designed to be a low cost option. The 77 will be a much nicer gun, but no more functional.

tas6691

Bearcat
I would take a Ruger 77, especially a tang safety, over a new Marlin all day everyday. The 77 is, IMO, more gun for the money, and the scope will do just fine until you get a different one. But you might find the 4X is all you need

ruggedruger

Single-Sixer
Hunter6657 said:
Price is high on the Marlin. I think they sell new for 379. They originally sold new for 299 and less.

Yeah, but this one came with a scope and the Boyd's walnut stock, (with the original black stock included too).

Hunter6657

Single-Sixer
Might be a good deal then if it has a new stock and a decent scope.
The Marlins are great rifles with adjustable triggers. i have one in 30-06.
Then again I like the Ruger rifles better vs. the economy brands.
You might want to look at one of the Ruger American rifles also.
I would have bought the Ruger American rifle but I was able to trade a Ruger 10/22 rifle for the Marlin XL7 even up, so I only have $214 in the Marlin.

The Marlin seems way over priced. While they MAY be decent rifles, the Marlin has very little retained value vs. the Ruger which has very high retained value. Personally, I wouldn't buy either a Marlin or Mossberg BA centerfire rifle except as a throwaway beater.

Del J

Single-Sixer
I have owned a few rifles for deer hunting. My favorite for sure is a M77 in 30-06 tang safety.

Del J

4MUL8R

Single-Sixer
Ensure any Marlin you find is marked with a true Marlin proof stamp on the barrel to minimize potential quality issues. This would be a JM on the left side, not a REP on the right.