What to do?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mattsbox99

Hunter
So, I have this Mahogany cased super, and I want a Red Label in 12 gauge. I have been shooting a lot of shotgun lately and I have several supers that I shoot occasionally, but I don't shoot this one... The RL I'm looking at is used and its right around $900. I think I might be able to trade it straight across. I'd only do the deal if I could make a straight trade unless they want to pay me some :).

I'm up in the air about it... even though the Super is pretty rare, they aren't impossible to come by and admittedly this isn't the nicest one I've seen even in the last couple months here in the classifieds. Red Labels aren't the rarest either, but I am really on a shotgun bug right now and I like sporting clays, skeet, and I'd like to get into some trap events this summer.

ddd482

Single-Sixer
i always say, if both parties are happy, that is all that matters- sometimes a couple of bucks are not worth the hassle-

jmfc606

Single-Sixer
JMHO. It's always better to go to a gunshop with cash. It gives you more power in the deal. I'd try and sell the super here first and then go to your gunshop with a wad of cash in your hand. I'm 99% sure you won't get hurt that way, and will probably pick up that RL cheaper since they are not big movers at gunshops. Remember cash is king. Like I said JMHO.

mattsbox99

Hunter
No doubt that is the right way to go, trouble is if you post a Ruger here, you'll get pecked apart in the classifieds by people that have nothing to do with buying it. :(

I wholly agree that cash is king and I'm pretty good at haggling... it might be worth a try, we'll see what Splitz says.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
ddd482":34efja6s said:
i always say, if both parties are happy, that is all that matters- sometimes a couple of bucks are not worth the hassle-

I agree! People put too much on monetary value and less on personal value. If you want the RL bad enough, taking a loss, financially, really should be moot IMO. if it's such a case where you just gotta get every last nickel out of the SBH, then getting the RL must not mean as much as it's made out to be.
I've turned down deals from both sides just because the other person felt the need to haggle over a 5 or 10 dollars. :roll:

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
mattsbox99":tsw7vak7 said:
No doubt that is the right way to go, trouble is if you post a Ruger here, you'll get pecked apart in the classifieds by people that have nothing to do with buying it. :(

I wholly agree that cash is king and I'm pretty good at haggling... it might be worth a try, we'll see what Splitz says.

You are welcome to repeat what I offered as my thoughts on your Super and it's box. Glad you sent the photos and asked what I thought. :) As far as being peckered here, I believe most of us can stand on our own and decide who's a pecker and who is a commenting gentle-person. For me, If I see someone getting peckered, hell, I will get into the fray and tell the pecker to buzz off. Comes with age and being pecked at a few times, I think. :wink: Good luck with making the right personal decision. MIKE

mattsbox99

Hunter
Ale-8(1)":tdow4fwx said:
" . . . if you post a Ruger here, you'll get pecked apart in the classifieds by people that have nothing to do with buying it."

:?: :?: :?:

Sorry, I have just seen several threads that ended in a big debacle. Its a lot better now than it was. It was probably unwarranted for me to say.

Trouble is, they both mean a lot to me, but if its just sitting in the safe and not being used (I would be using the RL a lot) am I just sitting on an investment? I'm not into the Super very much, significantly less than $900, but I feel that its worth that considering the box is in premium condition but the gun is only about 75%.

Really, I have plenty of other guns I *should* be trading away instead of this Super.

Not a problem . . . I was just kinda wondering if you had been the victim of an impolite fool or what. We try to keep it clean and above-board, and discourage criticism of pricing in the Classifieds. Doesn't always work, but we try.

As witnessed here, offline conversations work well as questions can be addressed and offers and deals discussed in private. That's about as close as we come to running auctions here. The "or best offer" occasionally draws a raised eyebrow.

Glad I don't have your problem of deciding between a Super and a Red Label . . . that's a tough one.

:) :) :)

mattsbox99

Hunter
I have the RL now. It was $929, and I managed to get them down to $839, and it came with a canvas/leather hard fitted case. This 28" 12 ga Red Label isn't in the greatest condition, it's been carried and shot a lot. The lever leans a bit to the right and there are numerous light stock dings (no broken grains), along with a few light scratches in the stainless and a few light wear spots in the bluing. It had all the chokes, but one was not a factory tube. Also, someone has replaced the factory recoil pad for a Decelerator. I'm going to use this gun, so I'm not bummed out about the usage, its going to get shot in skeet and sporting clays events this summer and for $800 its still a Red Label. I now have all the gauges and just need a 410 tube set for my 28. I'll probably wait a bit for that though unless I find a smoking deal on a used set.

I still have the Super, so I'm happy about that.

bob308

Bearcat
i can not get my mind around trading one for the other i did it a few times but then i just buy the new toy and put the old one away.

Latest posts