What to do??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Looking for some input on this one.

I have a 357 flattop, sn: 41xx that is in original configuration, no rust and is very sound; the main flaw is the finish. Due to holster wear about 20-25% of the finish is bright. So the question is, restore or leave as-is?

Dennis.

Here ya go......

Not very good.....came out darker than I thought. :(

IMG_1099.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

IMG_1098.jpg

Dennis.

Sgt, thats really not that bad,seen LOTS much worse off and yes, we've redone some not as bad as yours, its all in the eyes of the "holder" ,not us "beholders...." :roll:
if it was mine, just a bit of 'tlc' to bring it up to snuff,they clean up quite nicely.................nothing wrong with "nice stuff" :wink:

At this point in time I don't think there is a definitive answer to my question. At some point though, the collector value of a 4 digit flattop in this original condition and 80% finish will surpass its value as a shooter. Wonder how long it will take??

I have other flattops, some much better and some worse and I never intended to shoot this one. I have my shooters and this isn't one of them, it's just a solid 4 digit flattop that I picked up several years ago at a good price. It's such a nice old gun I guess I was thinking it might be deserving of face lift but instead I think I'll take the advice of some here and place it back in the safe....see what the future brings.

Dennis.

bob308

Bearcat
it is atleast 45 years old you think it should not show some were? what are you going to do in 3 -4 years get it refinished again if the muzzle shows some were?

leve it alone. once refinished it is not worth much and hard to resell and can never be brought back. they are not making them any more and the demand is growing for them.

cubrock

Blackhawk
I personally like shooter-grade Type Is. If you decide you can't stand to keep it..... ;)

The way prices have been escalating over the last year or so, there's absolutely NO WAY I'd refinish such a gun. This time next year I'll bet it will have appreciated at least $100.

The "you can't unreblue" comment is right on target. As it is, you can shoot the gun with reasonable loads without fear of devaluing it at all.

JMHO
:mrgreen:

Latest posts