What to do with unneeded ammo and reloading supplies?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dwasifar

Bearcat
I'm considering selling my .357 revolver. Selling the gun itself is no problem, but I don't have anything else in that caliber, so I'm not sure what to do with the ammo.

I feel like this would be easier if it were all factory ammo. There are a few boxes of factory .357, but I used to reload, and so I have several boxes (maybe 500 rounds) of reloaded .38spl too. I also have several boxes of primers and about half a can of powder.

All this stuff is over 20 years old, but it's been stored well, and I have ammo of similar age that was stored with it and still fires fine.

To make matters even more complicated, I'm in Illinois. In this state you need a special ID to own or purchase ammo, and I'm not sure what the law requires me to do if I want to sell ammo or give it away.

Any advice?

contender

Ruger Guru
In general,, the consensus is to not shoot someone else's reloads. Liability, safety issues are the first two reasons.
Next,,, selling ammo you made yourself is considered by the ATF as; "Manufacturing ammo" and a license is required.
Your choices;

GIVE the ammo away to the buyer of the gun with a signed release that he understands it's reloads,, and he's liable.

Gift it to a friend with the same liability release.

Pull the ammo apart,, and sell the components. (Primed brass is desirable.) You will throw away the powder.

Go shoot up the ammo. A few trips to the range & you'll have empty brass to sell.

Find a young person to take to the range & let them shoot up the ammo, in your gun with your instruction.

The other reloading components can be sold to others easily. Especially if you have primers. As noted,, go to a local range, and post a sign. It'll sell quickly if you price it accordingly.

I had a lifelong friend. As he knew his time was drawing near,, he asked me to help his estate deal with whatever was left over after he passed. His daughters got ahold of me after he passed, and I wound up with over 10,000 rounds of ammo, of various calibers. I too signed a liability release. I've been slowly pulling it apart when the mood strikes me. Just a little while ago,, I was on the phone with another friend. He'd needed some 30-06 brass. I had pulled 300 pieces of ammo down for him. He spent yesterday cleaning & reworking the brass for his upcoming handloading. He was very happy at my gift. I kept the lead bullets for recasting into what I desire. I have a container of jacketed ones too. The primers were pulled as well. The powder,, is to be dumped. While my deceased friend was a life long handloader,, I found some of the ammo to be "bad." The powder was damp & a sticky mess. Something had contaminated it.

You have some options,, but safety & liability are to be considered.

dwasifar

Bearcat
I took a better inventory. I have 800 rounds of .38 reloads, and ~200 rounds of factory .357 (including a full 20rd box of Black Talon, if anyone remembers those from the three minutes or so that they were on the market). Four boxes of small Winchester pistol primers, half a can of Bullseye powder, and a partial box of lead semiwadcutter bullets.

I like the idea of donating them to the buyer of the gun, as long as I can protect myself from liability if they decide to shoot (rather than take apart) the reloads and one blows up. But that requires it to be a private sale, and I've never done that from the seller side. If I sell to a shop, they won't want the ammo.

Maybe I'll ask at the range if they can put me in touch with local reloaders who might want the reloads to take apart.

375hh1973

Single-Sixer
My uncle left me a whole ton of reloaded .25-20.

Buddy is an officer on the local PD. They disposed of it

375hh1973

Single-Sixer
If you allowed someone to destroy .25-20 reloads instead of pulling them down for components that's like pouring money down the drain. .25-20 brass is quite valuable.
Unfortunately I don't have the time or inclination to tear apart a bunch of reloads

dwasifar

Bearcat
Looks like my brother-in-law wants it. I still have to work out the best way to ship it - looks like that's gonna be UPS.

This turn of events came with a nice vote of confidence for me. I texted my sister this:

1685416709122.png

And after a bit of discussion, she passed this message from him to me:

1685416791347.png

That felt good to hear. :)

Topfueler1

Bearcat
I would not give any ammo to the police. I don't have anything against police, in fact I support them. Let them get it from the criminals. There is to many other ways it can be put to good use. Ammo and components never go bad if stored properly. I know I've been handloading for forty plus years.

dwasifar

Bearcat
I would not give any ammo to the police. I don't have anything against police, in fact I support them. Let them get it from the criminals. There is to many other ways it can be put to good use. Ammo and components never go bad if stored properly. I know I've been handloading for forty plus years.
Before my BIL put dibs, I might have been inclined to give it to the police if I thought they might use it. But very few cops carry revolvers these days, and even if they did, I doubt they would shoot my reloads. It would be too easy for someone who hates cops to donate some rigged ammo designed to blow up a cop's gun in his (or her) hand. So it would certainly just be disposed of. I put money and effort into making this ammo, and if I'm not going to use it myself, at least someone should get some use out of it.

dwasifar

Bearcat
Sounds to me like you should get another .357 and shoot up the ammo. Then, you can sell that one.
If I wanted a revolver, I'd be keeping the one I have.

The .357 is a Smith and Wesson 686, stainless with 6" barrel. It was my first gun, and as you can tell from this thread, I used to shoot it quite a lot. But as I acquired other guns, I realized I prefer to shoot semi-auto and really just wasn't interested in the revolver anymore. It became the nightstand gun. But I have other guns now that are better choices for that too.

I haven't fired this gun in at least 20 years. It's probably time for it to go to someone who wants it more. I might use it one more time to test out some of these old reloads before shipping them off to my BIL.

bobsyouruncle

Single-Sixer
I had a bunch of 41 mag I had reloaded and gave it to a gun shop. Honestly, who knows whats in the reloads? they took it reluctantly with the understanding they would break it down.