what to do, what to do

Help Support Ruger Forum:

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
In a quandry. I love my vaqueros, all 4 of them. I love my rossi mod 92. all in 44 mag.

I have decided to increase my asset structure by adding 45's.

I will eventually add a pair of 45's and a 45 carbine.

My first thought was 7 1/2" with dragoon grips but I saw a 4 5/8 that was nice and balanced looking. Blackhawks. Hummmmmmm.

I need some subjective opinions.

blackhawks or vaqueros. Not new vaqueros. 4 5/8" barrels.

what do you folks think.

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
He He He. Good question. I'm biased (of course) so I'll throw a monkey wrench in it all. I vote for 7.5", with dragoon frame and Super hammer. A 45 Colt SBH :D

gunslinger_h

Blackhawk
If you are going to buy a Ruger, get the old model Vaquero or one of the blackhawks, new model or old. You can load them down and you can load them up and the revolver will give dual service. Excellent hunting round and excellent plinking and fooling around round with different loads. The 7 1/2 inch tends to shoot high with factory loads, even with the sights dropped all the way down. Reason being that the revolver begins recoil before the bullet is completely out of the barrel. I read this years ago in an article I found on .45's and I was having trouble with the ones that I had shooting high. That began my search for something hotter, and I found 296, which solved my problem. I find the 4 5/8 inch more fun to shoot, but that will depend on your level of skill. Like I said, just my experiences with the .45 Long Colt. I do not own any models with the transfer bar, but I do know that the first Vaqueros were strong revolvers. Hank.

SAJohn

Hunter
The only 4 5/8" barrelled Ruger revolver I have is an old model .41 magnum. It is a tad nose light (no forward twirling :)) but is my favorite woods packing revolver.

Short snouted Old Model .41 mags are rarer than .45's but I have never been able to located a shooter OM .45. This tells me they must be so much fun that no one well sell theirs.

This suggests that a New Model .45 Blackhawk with 4 5/8" barrel just might be the ticket.

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
I should fill in my experience. 1st 1911 in 1965. casting bullets, reloading ever before that. First revolver, 1972 om superblackhawk, (last year of the OM). 1976, new S&W mod 29. casting and loading for 357, 41, 44, 45. barrel lengths from 4 5/8 thru 8 3/8. I do have extensive practice in all of the above calibers and models.

While I do really appreciate all of the advice, what I really need now is feed back on the blackhawk vs the vaquero. If possible, from the same folks pros and cons of both models.

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Either way, for me it would have to be a stainless model. The blued Vaqueros have that silly simulated case hardening on the frame. I know some people like it, but you asked for subjective opinions, and I don't. The blued Blackhawks have aluminum grip frames, another thing I don't care for--I don't know why. I like steel. Stainless steel, especially. Of course, if you go with a Bisley model you can have it in blue with a steel grip frame. I've got one of those in .45 and love it.

Between Vaquero and Blackhawk, it really comes down to how important the sights are to you. Blackhawk's sights are MUCH better. Of course, the Vaquero has more of an old-West flavor to it. Not that it's truly anything like a Colt Peacemaker (especially in stainless), but at least it has similar outward appearance.

Since you already have a collection of Vaqueros in .44, you might as well start your .45 collection with a Blackhawk. This is kind of backwards to how they should be (.44 Blackhawks and .45 Vaqueros), but that aint no thing.

I'd recommend doing what I do: Go looking at them, and buy the first one that "speaks" to you. Then don't ever look back. You'll probably be happy with either one.

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
I too vote for adjustable sites. It makes aiming "cowboy" and full throttle loads a lot easier. You just move the sites up and down depending on the season.

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
I to dont care for the alum frames, and will change it out for a dragoon grip frame. the sights are the thing, I guess. I will have to look at them.

come on, folks more, more. please

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
In the .45 my favorites are:

Bisley Vaquero with 4 5/8 inch barrels (Stainless Steel). These are the best handling (for shooting one handed) guns I have.

Birdshead Vaquero 3 1/2 inch barrels that I have added Montado hammers to. These are easy to shoot one handed and easier to shoot two handed than the Bisleys.

Standard (not the new) Vaquero with 5 1/2 inch barrel. I prefer this length for woods carry. The 5 1/2 is a nice balance between the handling of the 4 5/8 and a bit better sighting plane of a longer barrel.

In other calibers namely .44 magnum I have a Frankengun, which is a Vaqureo with a Super Blackhawk Dragoon gripframe, a Super Blackhawk hammer and a Bisley trigger. This has a 5 1/2 inch barrel and is the best of all combination in my opinion. I like the dragoon grip frame with the square trigger guard and longer grip. Some people report that their finger hits the trigger guard with heavy loads. I'm one of the fortunate ones this doesn't happen to.

My subjective opinion. Shorter barrels handle better for fast shooting such as Cowboy Action Shooting.

Longer Barrels, up to a point are my preference when I need more precise shot placement such as for hunting. The 5 1/2 is a good compromise for me if I'm not sure which I need that day.

Tha adj sights on the Blackhawk is why I suggested it above. The 5.5 for a more balanced sixgun and slightly better sight radius than the shorter bbl. I have two in the 4 5/8 length and love the shorter barrels. My next will be in Stainless for ease of maintenance and corrosion resistance. I think the Vaquero has limited use in the field due to the lack of sights, but is a good defensive and cowboy gun.
I guess it just boils down to what purpose the gun is to serve. So get what you want, you can always sell or trade for something else if it doesn't suit your needs.

flatgate

Hawkeye
52401191.jpg

12758483.jpg

At least "one of each" as Contender sez!

:D

flatgate

Latest posts