What to do? (Updated)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stuckinga

Bearcat
Since my wife and I started buying handguns, after the election, I've stayed with strictly Ruger revolvers, figuring the revolvers would be the safest for novices like us and I really like the Ruger guns. We have about 12 revolvers now. Bought my first pistol the other day a MKII Competition 22, nice little gun to fire and figured easy to get used to handling a pistol. Here's the question, my local gun dealer has a P85 with one extra clip for $375.00 blued, he has a P95 for $445.00 stainless with 3 extra clips and the gray case, do these prices seem reasonable or a little high? Thanks everyone.

kooz

Blackhawk
Stuckinga":355pqlp4 said:
Since my wife and I started buying handguns, after the election, I've stayed with strictly Ruger revolvers, figuring the revolvers would be the safest for novices like us and I really like the Ruger guns. We have about 12 revolvers now. .

Well, I'm not trying to be a smart @$$, really , so please don't take this wrong but I would probably not buy any more guns unless you are trying to arm the neighborhood. Being that you are a novice, I would concentrate on practicing your marksmanship skills and being self sufficient with ammo and learning to cast and reload for the guns you have. Maybe a couple leverguns in the same caliber as your handguns may make sense depending on your situation, or possibly a couple 870's . I guess what I am saying is that having lots of guns is not going to do anything for you in an emergency, you just need to know how to use the one that you have with you. Maybe taking a couple handgun classes would be a benefit as well. Good luck

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Kooz has some good points. Getting proficent with the guns you have,, and buying more ammo is a better direction to go,, UNLESS your case of "Rugeritis" is bad enough that you want to own a lot more guns.
Now,, to answer your questions. The P-85 was Ruger's first semi-auto centerfire handgun,, and it's built like a tank. In fact,, the biggest complaint is the size of the grip compared to other 9mm's. Even Ruger has introduced a much slimmer & more compact 9mm since in the SR9. I have an early P-85 and I love it,, but a lot of folks who have tried it mention how "big" it is. And, since the introduction of the SR9,, the prices of used p-85's has declined a bit. So,, the price of $375 is a bit high. No more than $300 in excellent condition,, since it's missing the extra mag it was shipped with and the box etc. The P-95 is also a bit too high by at least $75 as well.
Go to an auction site; www.gunbroker.com and look at the guns that have sold,, (NOT the current auctions w/o bids or bidders,) to see what real world values are.

Rclark

Hunter
UNLESS your case of "Rugeritis" is bad enough that you want to own a lot more guns.
That and as an investment.... Yeah, I know, I don't have any safe queens, but it doesn't matter. I also have a bought a few handguns lately... just because of the election as well.... Then you see California requiring thumb prints to buy ammo..... Inflation in the wings because of over spending.... Good reason to 'stock up' :) .

4x5

Bearcat
Rclark":2hk4m0hy said:
UNLESS your case of "Rugeritis" is bad enough that you want to own a lot more guns.
That and as an investment.... Yeah, I know, I don't have any safe queens, but it doesn't matter. I also have a bought a few handguns lately... just because of the election as well.... Then you see California requiring thumb prints to buy ammo..... Inflation in the wings because of over spending.... Good reason to 'stock up' :) .
That, and the fact that firearms are one of the few things that will retain most of their value.

sebtool

Blackhawk
Jest for grins, seeing as I already had a window open from an email, I checked GalleryofGuns.com to get some pricing.

The P95PR, your basic 9mm, is(was) on sale till 12/31/09. MSRP of $393, could be had locally for $289! Brand new in the box!

I'd think it's time to look elsewhere to feed your 'affliction'! :wink:
Just my .02.

I need to quit looking at shtuff like that.... :roll: