What to buy 454 or 480 Ruger SA

Help Support Ruger Forum:

98Redline

Blackhawk
I am admittedly a huge fan of the 480, however that aside, if you are planning on putting a scope on the gun and use it for longer range shooting/hunting then I would give the nod to the 454. It shoots flatter and will reach out farther than the 480.

If you plan on something like a 5 1/2 to 6 1/2" barreled gun with open sights then the 480 is going to be my choice. You aren't likely to be taking 300yd shots with a shorter barreled, open sighted gun, so all of the velocity and flatness the 454 give you is wasted on that 50-60 yard shot.

Just my $0.02

Tom W

Blackhawk
If It were me, and I've had both calibers at one time or another in the past, I get the .480 but I'd get the SRH. I find the recoil is easier in a DA than a SA. I was shooting 400 gr. RCBS cast from mine and doing well. It sure used a lot of lead, though...

CraigC

Hawkeye
98Redline said:
I am admittedly a huge fan of the 480, however that aside, if you are planning on putting a scope on the gun and use it for longer range shooting/hunting then I would give the nod to the 454. It shoots flatter and will reach out farther than the 480.

If you plan on something like a 5 1/2 to 6 1/2" barreled gun with open sights then the 480 is going to be my choice. You aren't likely to be taking 300yd shots with a shorter barreled, open sighted gun, so all of the velocity and flatness the 454 give you is wasted on that 50-60 yard shot.

Just my $0.02
The .480 is hardly taking a back seat. It's usually thought of as a heavy bullet launcher but with 275's at 1700fps, it reaches out pretty good with authority. Alliant lists 1900fps with 300MP but I have no idea how close that is to real world numbers. They usually use actual guns in the Speer manuals.

Flyover_Country

Bearcat
grobin said:
Frankly it's a tossup. Th a ability to handle 45 ammo is a plus. I feel that the 480 is a dead end with all the heavy competition. The one revolver caliber that will definitely be around is the 45/70. But I don't know that the https://www.magnumresearch.com/bfr-big-frame-revolver/ in 45/70 will be. Frankly if I were in the market for a heavy hunting revolver I'd get the S&W 460 XVR, 12 or 14" barrel. Better ballistics and bullet availability, suitable for dangerous game, and pleasant to shoot. But that's just me.

The .454 Casull performs as well or better than the standard SAAMI 28k psi .45-70 loads, but is much better suited to a revolver due to its more manageable case length. The .454 Casull will be with us for quite some time as it's very powerful and comes in a popular caliber, and like most other magnum revolver cartridges, there is a lower-powered non-magnum cartridge around for non-reloaders to use for practice (.45 Colt in this case.) The .454 has been chambered in a number of rifles and handguns. The .460 S&W is only modestly more powerful and much less common than the .454.

If you want a lightweight, powerful dangerous game gun in .45 caliber, I'd pick a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70 over an X-frame, any day and twice on Sunday. The Guide Gun only weighs slightly more.

Three44s

Single-Sixer
I have never owned a 454 Cas. but I do own a 7.5" in 480 Ruger.

As a traditional revolver I feel the 480 is the better choice and particularily if you handload and taking up casting. Those who do not have a 480 fail to recognize it's flexibility. While it is true that the 454 can digest 45 Scoville and .45 LC as well as it's own loads, that only takes center stage with shooters that do not handload. Further, the 454 delivers it's goods at higher pressures and higher velocities. To my taste that causes a snappier recoil and that makes the firing experience less comfortable than the 480.

With a hand loaded 480, I do not need other cartridges to fire in it. I just load according to whatever power level I want for a particular task. I also believe a heavier slug such as the 480 is capable of firing will penetrate further than a faster lighter one from a 454. The wider metplat available for the larger bore is also useful.

The true economy derived from casting bullets makes for a much more economical outcome and as such the 480 operating pressure range fits cast bullets better than the 454 does except when you rule in the shorter 45's.

Three44s

smith1961

Blackhawk
I have not owned or shot either cartridge. I do own several .41 mag and .45 colt Blackhawks.
I would have to go with the .480 Ruger. As Max Prasac points out, there is no game animal on the planet it can't take. It will do it with a tangibly less amount of recoil than a .454 Casull. It's been proven that a .45 colt in the Blackhawk can be pretty much as lethal as it's hyper-pressure offspring by Dick Casull. That's why I have a .45 Blackhawk as my "Bear Thumper". I don't need a 454 to do better what the .45 colt already does well. I don't want the .454 recoil either.

If it was me I'd do the .480 Ruger :)

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I've had exactly one 454C revolver. And a couple 480R revolvers.
I found the 454 just too violent to practice enough with, to be consistent.
The 480R is a great, if not the best large-bore revolver cartridge IMO. More of a push than a slapshot to the palm & joints yet it simply outclasses any 44RM revolver in the hunting field. Make some venison.

cas6969

Buckeye
I had a little "back and forth" many years ago one night on a hunt with a guy who was so very much in love with his scoped Taurus Raging Bull in 454. I had my 500 Linebaugh Bisley with me, and despite all my talking, he couldn't get my point. Finally I said "Okay, watch." I took the Bisley I stuck it in the front pocket of my jeans. Then said "Okay, now you do that." :D The light bulb came on.

MaxP

Buckeye
grobin said:
I feel that the 480 is a dead end with all the heavy competition.

The .480 proved to be a dead end for this water buffalo I killed in Argentina...

DSC_0142.jpg

Mild 340 grain load that doesn't kick hard, but exhibits terminal goodness on a large scale. I personally think the .480 Ruger is a great round and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on any land mammal that walks this earth.

dougader

Hunter
I have had a few 454's and sold them all. I kept my custom 45 Colt, and then went up in caliber to 480 Ruger and have never had a second thought about it. What a great caliber. I can plink with 800 fps handloads or hunt with 385 grain Mihec hp's at 1050-1100 fps and not have to deal with all the blast, torque and recoil of a 55k-65k psi round like the 454.

Ale-8(1)

Hawkeye
charlies said:
Problem solved. Bought a Freedoms Arms field grade 6 inch.

Well, darn it. Ya ask us which chambering to buy IN A RUGER SA and then ya go and buy that "off-brand" thingie. Just ain't fair. I mean, if you had just asked which SA to buy we might, maybe, have suggested you check out those high-priced special super guns.

Kidding aside, bet that FA cannon will make you happy . . . they are superb.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Personally I went with the 480 a couple years ago. I have sold 3 FA's in 454 since. One I wish I would have kept, a 6" with both winewood and black micarta grips, but it also had both the 45 colt cylinder and the 454. I realize today that the only real advantage of the 454 over the old colt in these strong compact revolvers is the fact the 454 holds the same performance out farther. For me with open sights this is no longer usefull as my eyes just dont work like they did in the field today like they did 30 years ago.

The other thing I found is that my wrist will give me much less problems the next day shooting the 480 Bisley than they do shooting the 454's, and out to 75 to 100 yards the 480 is my choice for a bigger hammer over the 454.

Now I also prefer a revolver that is comfortable to carry all day, and that leaves that Beast they call an X frame out! Even the SR is more bulk than I care for. Now I still like big hammers so I have now decided to try the 475, but will still be able to shoot 480 if I need. but I am going to try my first BFR to keep the weight up a little more but still keep it in a relatively useful size. But don't see where I will gain any killing advantage over the 480 for the game I hunt, deer hogs and maybe still an elk or two yet in my future?

As for those that think a 460 S&W is any better than a 454 this deserves a comment in my opinion! I never would consider such a monstrosity to drag around in the first place, but I did a little test several years ago. That 2300 fps they tote as so great is only capable with a 200 grain slug,, and then only in a 10" or 12"barrel length. So I bought a box of the 200 grain XTP's, pulled the polymer tips and loaded them in 454 cases which allowed me to shoot them in my 6" FA. with the shorter case 36 grains of H-110 was very compressed load, and a far cry from the 52 grains Hornady was loading for the overly glorified 460! End result was with 16 less grains of powder, a lot less blinding flash, and less than 120 fps less velocity, it proved to me to be no more than a bloated claim of superior power, and a total waste of time in a revolver using a 460 S&W, add the size and bulk it required to do it makes it a total inefficient waste of materials, from brass and powder to good stainless steel!!

Not to mention the waste of meat when it was used inside of 250 yards over a well placed heavy cast slug. In fact the 480 I have is way more hammer than any 460 out of any revolver as far out as you want to hit something with it.

Now if you use the round in a closed breach gun like the encore where it is able to use that powder increase for performance instead of just making it a bigger flame thrower,, It will impress for long range. With over 2750 fps available from the Encore with a 14" working barrel. Problem is at these velocities it is useless on big game as the bullets inside 150 to 200 yards will disintegrate on heavy tissue, let alone bone.

Now with the writings and teaching of John Linebaugh, even the heavy cast slugs are at there best when loaded under 1400 fps, easily capable with over 360 grain slugs in a 454. But with the high pressure it runs to do this for me the recoil is worse than the 385 grain bullets in the 480 which doesn't have as harsh a kick for these old arthritic ate up wrists and is even better medicine for big game.

So these are just some personal results I have had with these big calibers. To me the 45 Colt in the strong single actions, where open sights or red dots out to 75 to 100 yards or so is the chore, it is my only choice in 45 caliber. The 480 Ruger is even better out to those distances even over the 454 in my opinion. Now I have no hands on other than shooting a 475 a couple times a few years back at targets of opportunity, I really don't think their is going to be any real world advantage over the 480, like I found with 454 and 45 Colt inside 100 yards. But I am hoping with the extra weight, and special grip on the BFR I am going to go with, I can enjoy it as much as the heavier 480 loads in the Bisley's, when I shoot them around 1200 to 1300 fps with that heavier 385 grain load, and easier on me than the heavy hot loads in the 454, one thing is for sure, I am going to find this out.

But in the guns I prefer to hunt with, and carry in all terrain all day long, the single actions, the 480 is a better hammer than the 454, and to me the 45 Colt inside 100 yards with heavy cast big game bullets will do anything the 454 will and more than most of us will ever need in these strong single actions. But the 480 is even better and with even heavier better suited cast bullets will top that, I doubt their will be much advantage inside 100 yards using the bigger 475 over the 480 in them circumstances. But one thing I know! inside 100 yards the 460 S&W is the biggest waste of powder in any revolver cartridge I have ever had experience with,, and X frame is clumsiest revolver I have ever handled!