What the hey, I got rear ended

Help Support Ruger Forum:

volshooter

Buckeye
At a traffic light, the light turned green but the vehicles ahead to me had not advanced. Someone behind me bumped me. Was not that hard but enough to snap my neck to the head rest, causing my neck to pop. I was towing a 14' trailer. My eyes started to water and it took me a minute to regain my self. Put buggy in park and got out, eyes watering. The vehicle that bumped me was a dodge with a trailer that had several lawnmowers and weed eaters on the trailer. As I got out, the left lane was clear and the driver took off. I could not see the plates through watering eyes. I inspected my vehicle and trailer and did not see any major damage, so I drove on. Less than 5 minutes later I got loud ringing in my ears, a slight headache, disorientation and pain in my neck. Had to pull over 3 times before I got home.
I have been hit hard but never in a vehicle situation. I could not have seen the plates for the tears.
Sorry ass offender for leaving the scene. Now I cannot turn my neck very far, some swelling, less pain now.
I will get over this but have gained a new idea what happens in car accidents. It sure is not like accidentally falling for sure. It is a different kind of sudden impact.
Dadgun new glint into to auto accidents for me.
I will for sure have more sympathy for auto crash victums. That little bump was more disruptive to my body than falling out of a tree stand.
No I will not pursue the offender/incident.

contender

Ruger Guru
You were injured,,, and it wasn't your fault. By chance was it at one of your intersections that have the cameras?
You may be in for medical bills that may not be covered by your insurance.
I'd at least report it & get something on file.

But,, all that aside,,, here's hoping you are NOT seriously hurt or any long term problems!

Viking Queen

Blackhawk
It is surprising what force these accidents have on our bodies/necks. I was in a wreck a few years ago and the ER Docs said I was fine! Airbag and seatbelt bruises would go away. Turns out I wasn't fine. Lots of things in my neck out of alignment....and I had a cracked/broken sternum which went undiscovered in the er, despite xrays. More xrays later clearly showed that painful break.

A skilled chiropractorworked hard to fix me up. Auto insurance coverage in my state is required to pay for chiropractic care following a car wreck. If you go that route, I realize some folks don't believe in chiro care, see if your car ins.will pay for it.

I hope this is a temporary issue for you and that you are feeling well soon.

So sorry you had to go through this.

Viking Queen

Hugh

Buckeye
Report it to the police now if you haven't already! Report it now to your insurance! You may have a concussion or "whiplash".

I've been there, fortunately I was employed by the State Patrol and called them first. It felt for several days like I had taken several shots to the head in a boxing ring; I've been there too. No ill effects for me, but I urge you to see a doctor.

RugerHound

Hunter
Hugh said:
Report it to the police now if you haven't already! Report it now to your insurance! You may have a concussion or "whiplash".

I've been there, fortunately I was employed by the State Patrol and called them first. It felt for several days like I had taken several shots to the head in a boxing ring; I've been there too. No ill effects for me, but I urge you to see a doctor.

This - Absolutely report it. And a neck injury is nothing to dink around with. Go get it looked at.

Mike J

Hunter
Volshooter I am sorry this happened to you. I will pray for healing.

Viking Queen I had a bad wreck when I was about 19. Knocked my neck & back out of alignment. Chiropractic did me a world of good.

volshooter

Buckeye
I am feeling much better. For me just a minor bump. I am just surprised at the results from a minor bump from behind. My neck, which has been broken 3 times, minor or course, cracked vertebrae, arthritis and stenosis in these joints is where the pop came from. I'll have to see if I can attend the gun show in the AM. It would be the first in 20 years I didn't make a show.

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
Volshooter. Not to late call the police. Make a report. It was a hit and run. Call your insurance company. I wouldn't turn this into your regular medical coverage I'd turn it into your auto insurance company. That's what it was. Should save you money on the medical. At least it did me several years ago. Had a lady pull out in front on me on a busy street 50mph crash, broke my wrist, sternum, nose, etc, surgery, time in a hospital but no out of pocket expenses. And I got a little money for pain and suffering or something along that line. Totaled my car. Wrecks are a real PITA.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Dunno what the laws are there, but here, ANY accident involving an injury has to be reported, and in a rather short time frame. Then we add the hit and run aspect, which could drop a criminal charge into the mix. I'm guessing the guy buzzed off cuz he didn't have insurance. So please call your insurance people for advice ASAP. And if there are traffic cameras as already suggested, the other guy could be in for a world of headaches (at the least!)

Hope none of the injuries are serious and you heal up good as new...

Rick C

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
I just got a check from the OTHER insurance company for an accident that happened two and a half years ago. Was front car when the one behind me got rammed which then resulted in me getting rammed. Minor auto damage but it popped my already fragile neck. In Florida your own insurance pays for the medical bills so no complaints from them although I HAD to pay 20% and then all the time back and forth to the Chiropractor. The insurance with the lizard didn't want to pay ANYthing beyond the auto damage, so I found a good lawyer (recommended by my Chiro whom I had seen for a number of years and we finally got them UP to a reasonable amount and accepted their "offer". Got the check today and into the bank.
Damn Insurance companies !!

volshooter

Buckeye
Met my medical deductible this year. Covered till end of year, no cost. I am fine, just a stiff neck now. Our insurance has a policy that I have 72 hours to see a Dr. or ER in these cases.
I understand the posts telling me to report it. I live in a small podunk town, no cameras, no damage to my vehicle and I reckon I will be fine. If not I will see Dr. tomorrow.
My post was to point out the actual facts, including the coward that left the scene.
Unless I have serious problems in the am, I'm going to let it be.
Ain't looking to get any money or get some dummy in deep for a simple thing.

Dan in MI

Staff member
GET A REPORT!

You may be fine, you may not be. My wife had "small" accident similar to you in 1987. A neck collar and some rest. Come ~1995 after a child and hauling a young child her back pain gets real bad. First x-rays since the accident. She had sever whiplash that healed with her neck bent in the opposite direction of what it is supposed to be. (if your top neck vertebrae make forward facing C then her faces backwards or vice versa) get checked and get it recorded just in case.

If x-rays had been taken we would have known the true extent of the damage. If they hadn't locked her in a neck collar it would not have healed in the wrong position.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
File an accident report and notify your insurance. Let THEM do the leg work and investigation. If there is a traffic cam at that intersection, there's a chance the whole thing is recorded.
The premiums you pay aren't just for accident repair costs. Insurance companies have teams of investigators and lawyers whose only goal is to make the "other guy" pay. Depending on how big your "town" is, a vehicle like you describe could be readily identified. Around here, I could probably find such a rig within a day or two-custom lawn services are well known.

eveled

Hunter
volshooter said:
. Was not that hard but enough to snap my neck to the head rest.

Remember the days before head rests? I cringe everytime I see somebody in an old car with out head rests. Those low back seats, metal dashes, and lap belts. They were death traps.

Hope you really are fine, and hope the guy who took off gets some bad Karma in his future.

FastEd

Hunter
A few years back I was driving my station wagon, towing a trailer with two dirt bikes, past Wright Patterson A/F base.
An A/F sergeant sideswiped me on a four lane railroad track crossing and he didn't stop. I've never been too respectful for people like that so I pulled out and ran the guy down. I cut him off right in the middle of Colonel Glenn Highway. When I approached his window I saw that he was drunk. He would not get out of the car and show me his I.D. so I opened his door grabbed his shirt and helped him out. He had a can of mace in his hand and I took that and threw it away. After I threatened him with bodily harm I finally got his I.D. and his State Farm insurance card and left him standing there wondering what had just happened.

Monday morning I called State Farm and they said he had been cancelled already. I got an estimate from the body shop and added another hundred to the bill. (I was in the car business at the time). Then I called a friend who was a C-17 Pilot at the base. He gave me a telephone number of the perp's commanding officer and I explained what I had in detail, mailed him the estimate and he guaranteed me he would take care of the problem and he did. That's why I love Lt. Colonels.

The funny part was, I learned later that I could have also been charged for leaving the scene of an accident.
I never saw a cop during the whole caper.
In case you are wondering, I gave the guys in the body shop fifty and kept the other half myself .

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
FastEd;
A lot late now BUT you should have :
#1. Called the police
#2. Called the base AP's if he was drunk they would handle him
#3. If his insurance was cancelled he had probably been driving on the base with cancelled insurance and I BET that is a great big NO-NO. (He might have gotten reduced in Rank, reduced pay and a nasty letter of reprimand in his personnel file.)

contender said:
You were injured,,, and it wasn't your fault. By chance was it at one of your intersections that have the cameras?
You may be in for medical bills that may not be covered by your insurance.
I'd at least report it & get something on file.

But,, all that aside,,, here's hoping you are NOT seriously hurt or any long term problems!

This +1000

Start a paper trail.

FastEd

Hunter
Colonialgirl said:
FastEd;
A lot late now BUT you should have :
#1. Called the police
#2. Called the base AP's if he was drunk they would handle him
#3. If his insurance was cancelled he had probably been driving on the base with cancelled insurance and I BET that is a great big NO-NO. (He might have gotten reduced in Rank, reduced pay and a nasty letter of reprimand in his personnel file.)

I did not get his license number so he would have gotten away.

+

revhigh

Hawkeye
Traffic cams may have gotten him on tape ... At lots of intersections these days.

I'd check it out

REV

Paul B

Buckeye
On the OP's accident, a Dodge (I'm assuming) pick up truck and trail full of lawnmowers and weed editors? If this was my neck of the woods I'd probably be close in guessing illegal alien with no insurance doing yard work for a living.
Way back when I had my very first car I was stopped at an arterial stop sign with my left blinker signaling a turn when a drunken painter slammed into the back of what was once a very cherry 1949 Ford coupe. The skid marks from my foot being jammed on the brake cause the cops to estimate he was doing at least 60 MPH at the time of collision. He had no insurance so my insurance company sued him on my belief. He didn't have a pot to pee in and in fact died a few month later from alcohol poisoning. That was 57 years ago and my back still gives me trouble.
About 6 years ago. I'm stopped a a red light, hear screeching brakes and see a red Camero coming right at me. Dunno how I did it but jammed my foot hard on the brakes and my head hard against the headrest. After he hit me, he backs off and takes off like a bat out of hell. One motorist behind me chases him but comes back after about 10 minutes or so and shows me the bullet holes in his windshield. He's white as a ghost but does have the plate number. Cops locate the owner and she says the car was stolen. About all the damage on my truck was a mangled up bumper and bent trail hitch. Didn't have any extra pain from that one. I think bracing like I did made some difference. I always did have very fast reflexes and I think they paid off that day.
OP, do file that police report and see a doctor, even if you feel fine. You might be hurt worse than you think.
Paul B.

Latest posts