What size red dot for ruger mark III?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I just got my first .22 semi-auto (and first Ruger), a Mark III Competition Target model. I'm planning on getting an Ultra-Dot for it, as I'll mostly be using it for Bullseye competitions. I was a little confused though--it seems like the Ultra-Dots come in 26mm and 30mm size. Other than a small difference in price, is there any difference in performance between the two lengths? Will either fit on my gun? Thanks!

Ski

Bearcat
Jordan_in_Alaska":1jxxj6rt said:
I just got my first .22 semi-auto (and first Ruger), a Mark III Competition Target model. I'm planning on getting an Ultra-Dot for it, as I'll mostly be using it for Bullseye competitions. I was a little confused though--it seems like the Ultra-Dots come in 26mm and 30mm size. Other than a small difference in price, is there any difference in performance between the two lengths? Will either fit on my gun? Thanks!

Actually, the measurements you quote are not the length of the tube but rather the diameter. So the only difference is a small one in viewing area. I do prefer the 30mm tube myself. Since you are looking to use it for Bullseye, I would suggest the Matchdot model which has variable dot sizes of 2,4,6 and 8 MOA. The smaller dot size makes for more exacting aiming.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I would avoid those heavy bulky units and go with a C-More railway unit or a Docter or JPoint sight. I have JPoints on mine and I'm very happy with them. I shoot Steel Challenge with mine.

marlin1881

Single-Sixer
I shoot bullseye with a red dot, but my sight is probably 15 years old (Leupold/Gilmore). It is a 26mm tube with a 3moa dot. That small of a dot is very precise and I personally like it. I've got it on a KMK678 (stainless 6-7/8" tapered target MKII). I have shot a 100 score a couple of times, so I know it's a good package.

Ski mentioned the Matchdot model with variable dot sizes. I think that is a good recommendation.

Marlin

Hi, Thanks for all the great advice! Haha, nice catch on the 30mm width--that would indeed be a very short scope if it was 30mm long. I just ordered an Ultradot Matchdot. I think it will work out well for me. I'm not too worried about the weight/bulk of the Matchdot, as I've used them before on other people's guns and not had much problem.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Go with a holographic sight if it's allowed. They've come way down in price, and a decent one can be gotten for about $100. Much nicer than having to look through a tube.

REV