What should my next "toy" be?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
I already have a GP100 4", Bisley Vaquero, SRH .44 9.5", and a Bearcat.

My dad is going to get me the LCP for my birthday in December, and my mom wants to get me a gun as well.

I like the Alaskan, but I don't know what I'd do with it. Same goes for the SP101- it's just a little too heavy to carry comfortably in my opinion.

I do hunt, and I like the Bisley target guns and the Single Six.

What do y'all think?

Or, should I just customize the guns I have now (Port the .44, exotic wood grips on GP100, stag grips on Bearcat, engraving, etc.)?

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Ruger 10/22
SR-556
Ruger 77
Ruger 77/22

Just depends on what you want and these are just Rugers. Consider a 1911, Glock, Beretta 92, AR-10, FnFAL, Remington 870, etc, etc.

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
Thanks. I was specifically interested in handguns, but I'll take a look at some of these. I already own an 870 and a 10/22, as well.

Rclark

Hunter
What should my next "toy" be?
Only YOU know what should be your next 'toy'..... I work for my expensive toys so I have to be 'selective' and pick what I want. YOUR choice....

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Bisley .45 Colt, if you want to start reloading, and like the grip, etc.

Nice grips or a holster for one of the others might be ticket, too. Even if you don't carry/pack the single actions, they appreciate good leather.

I wouldn't bother with porting a handgun. I've owned a Glock 21-C, and still have a ported Taurus 6" .357. I really don't think it buys you much, or at least not enough to warrant the cost.

The .22 semi auto isn't a bad idea, either. They're cheap to shoot, but the ammo is scarce around here at this time.

-- Sam

REP1954

Blackhawk
I'm thinking an Old Model Single Six in very good condition, not to good that you cant shoot it or one thats worn but taken care of.

leejack

Single-Sixer
the fatman":1nds65j3 said:
:D Do you suppose that your parents would be interested in adopting an older brother for you. :wink:

:lol: That's what I was thinking! My vote goes for a single six!

lee

andyo5

Single-Sixer
If you can find an Old Army, that would be a fun gun to fool around with and it would enable you to hunt during black powder season plus handgun season.
I would not have a gun ported unless the recoil was unacceptable. Porting increases the noise level and produces a bright flash in front of your sighting plane due to flame exiting the top of the barrel.

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
I think I'm going to go with either the 4" Redhawk, SBH Hunter, Bisley .44, Blackhawk .357, or the Single Six Hunter, if I can find it.

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
I wish they offered the SBH in a 4-5/8" barrel with a fluted cylinder and square-backed trigger guard. Maybe I could order one, but I think it would be expensive. Same thing goes for the BH in .357. I like the look of the square-back guard.

I want to go with a shorter-barrelled gun if I get a larger caliber, since I already have the 9.5" SRH. I like the 10.5" SBH, but it would be even harder to carry out in the woods than the SRH.

I might also consider a Uberti Sheriff's model Cattleman with a 3.5" barrel and birdshead grips. I could always get Bob Munden to fix it up for me and make it reliable.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
StonewallRuger":mzhwhjlt said:
I might also consider a Uberti Sheriff's model Cattleman with a 3.5" barrel and birdshead grips. I could always get Bob Munden to fix it up for me and make it reliable.
If you're seriously considering something like that, why not check out one of the current "original" Vaquero Bird Head models @ Davidsons? .45 Colt, 3-3/4" barrel, older, large frame Vaq. 20 left as of this morning. They're a distributor, so you have to have your dealer order it through them.

-- Sam

Hamcan

Bearcat
REP1954":25niiq9j said:
I'm thinking an Old Model Single Six in very good condition, not to good that you cant shoot it or one thats worn but taken care of.

I just recently picked up a 3 screw Single Six, and I love it. Made in 1968, and looks like new. I have 2 Colts in SA .22, and love them too. All very highly recommended. Of course, there are so many guns to choose from....