What more do I need?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RickG55

Bearcat
So I have an RCBS Partner Press Kit, a Lyman tumbler, and about 3,000 rounds of 9mm brass. I know I need powder, dies, and bullet, but I'm not sure exactly what. For instance, what's the best pistol powder, and how much? What dies do I get? What size primers do I need?

TIA for any help.

First and foremost, you need to pick up a good reloading manual. I recommend the Lyman 48th or 49th edition. It is just one of many with a lot of essential information. You should read the first hundred pages and then read them again before you do any reloading whatsoever.

JMHO. :)

mattsbox99

Hunter
Carbide dies are best for pistol rounds since you won't need to lube the small cases.

Standard small pistol primers are what you need. I load Red Dot for cast bullet loads in 9mm and Titegroup for jacketed bullet loads.

You wil need a scale, I prefer an electronic one but a manual scale will work fine and a powder measure if you intend to do a lot of reloading as it will make things a lot quicker. I also recommend a hand primer, RCBS makes a great universal one.

You'll need at least a couple good hardbound manuals (not the free ones) that will give specific instructions on reloading steps and practices. I recommend the Speer #14 and Nosler #6. Botha re new and current printed manuals that are well written and contain a lot of load data.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Danjet500":36dtbqpi said:
First and foremost, you need to pick up a good reloading manual.

Hi,

Yes, and this is one case where "If one is good, more are better!" It's hard to have "too much" information in this hobby.

You can get lots of "recipes" to let you see many powder/bullet combos you might be interested in for free, too. Look at the powder mfrs' pamphlets, most of which are available online. Alliant is at www.alliantpowder.com, and Hodgdon's, IMR and Winchester data is all available starting at www.hodgdon.com for starters. Remember, these are "recipe" booklets meaning it's assumed you already "know how to cook" so they don't substitute for the "big" books.

One reason to keep these in mind is that a lot of reloading components have run from "difficult" to "impossible" to find in the last year. So I doubt I'm out of line in suggesting you may want to have a couple of "contingency" loads in mind for times when you just can't find exactly what you want.

Some of the standard books you'll see suggested include the Lyman series, "The ABCs of Reloadaing," the Hornady, Sierra and Speer books, and Lee's "Modern Reloading." Most of them are revised on a somewhat regular schedule, so you want the latest editions you can find. All are good, none perfect. The more reading you do, the more you'll see what is good info in each, what's opinion or subliminal advertising.

Any chance you know someone who's already a reloader who could "mentor" you a bit as you get started? Not everybody does, but if you do, he/she will be an invaluable resource. Sometimes asking around a range will lead you to someone willing to take you under their wing for a bit if you're short of folks to talk to...

Rick C