What model is this M77 MKII?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tss106

Single-Sixer
Hey y'all, recently ran across a Model 77 and I'm trying to figure out exactly what model/version it is. The receiver is marked "RUGER M77 MK II"...., it's stainless with the matte/gray finish, green/gray colored checkered laminate stock, slightly heavier than standard 22" barrel, and 2-stage trigger. It's a .223 Rem caliber. Serial number (792-47xxx) puts it somewhere around 2012 or so. Looks just like a Hawkeye Predator but it's not marked "Hawkeye" anywhere on the rifle? Are the Hawkeye Predator versions marked "Hawkeye"? Just trying to find out/verify what model this rifle is.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
MKII and Hawkeye are mutually exclusive. Hawkeyes were phased in replacing the MKII version. If it has a 2 stage trigger it is a "target" model that predates the introduction of a similar model Hawkeye.

tss106

Single-Sixer
Silent Sam said:
MKII and Hawkeye are mutually exclusive. Hawkeyes were phased in replacing the MKII version. If it has a 2 stage trigger it is a "target" model that predates the introduction of a similar model Hawkeye.

It's got a 22" medium contour barrel and a Sporter style stock......, must be a pre-Hawkeye Predator - gonna call Ruger tomorrow and see what they can tell me based on the serial number.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I would guess it is a standard profile barrel. If it were similar to a predator model it would have a longer barrel and the heavier contour. I have a 7mm-08 , 25-06 , 264 win mag , 280 , and 7mm mag in the configuration like you describe. The 7mm-08 and 7mag are not checkered and were the first distributor exclusives like that. The 25-06 , 264 , and 280 were some of the last MkII's made before the change to the Hawkeye. 792 prefix serial numbers if I remember correctly. They are checkered and have the LC-6 trigger and the slimmer stock profile like the Hawkeye rifles. All are black laminate. The MkII sporter models had the brown laminate stocks.

Put some pictures up and that may help out.

tss106

Single-Sixer
Called Ruger today with the serial number...., they said it's a KM77RBBZ Model 17990 MK-II, .223 Rem, 24" medium contour bbl (definitely heavier than my standard bbls), 2-stage trigger, checkered laminate Sporter style stock, left the factory late 2012. I can find nothing on the internet for this model - looks like a Hawkeye "Predator" version to me. Oh well....., I'm stuck with it now :wink:

img1874zps91br9zlg.jpg

tss106

Single-Sixer
Just kidding about being stuck with it......, can't wait to hit the range this weekend!

tss106

Single-Sixer
rugerjunkie said:
Nice rifle for sure! Im suprised its a matte finish and a MkII. Do you know the twist rate?

The matte finish surprised me too....., based on the serial number, I'm thinking it had to be maybe one of the last MK-II's in that version to go out the door. I still can find nothing on the internet that matches this caliber/configuration based on the model numbers Ruger provided me. I checked the twist rate, it's 1:9.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Im guessing you have the LC-6 trigger?

My last two were my 264 and 25-06. They were dist. exclusives right at the end of the MkII production. There was an issue with the 25-06 in that the scope cuts on the reciever were not milled correctly. I had to send it back to Ruger when I couldn't get any scope to adjust far enough to the right to get it on paper and they informed me of that. They offered to replace it with a Hawkeye all-weather. I declined the offer and told them it was an unacceptable replacement for a limited run rifle. Took a lot of phone calls until finally getting to talk to the plants production manager and after talking to him was offered a newly made MkII identical to mine. All after the Hawkeye was in production! It has to be one of if not the last MkII other than the target models to come out of the factory.

About 3-4 months after being told they were making a new one for me , I got a call from Ruger asking what I wanted to do with my old stock. What?? I said put the new barreled action in it! Lol! They said "we made you a complete rifle new stock and all". And offered to send my old one back to me. They destroyed the other action saying it was not able to be fixed. It was like pulling teeth in the beginning but they ended up going an extra mile to make things right in the end even though it took about 10 months from the time I sent mine in until recieving the new one.

tss106

Single-Sixer
Sounds like everything worked out great for you! I've had similar experience with any Ruger service I've ever had.
The trigger in my rifle is a Ruger 2-stage target type...., same as what's in the Hawkeye Predator and the Target rifle - has a take-up stage followed by a very light pull. I think it might be adjustable too, gotta find that out.

dave2091

Single-Sixer
tss106 said:
rugerjunkie said:
Nice rifle for sure! Im suprised its a matte finish and a MkII. Do you know the twist rate?

The matte finish surprised me too....., based on the serial number, I'm thinking it had to be maybe one of the last MK-II's in that version to go out the door. I still can find nothing on the internet that matches this caliber/configuration based on the model numbers Ruger provided me. I checked the twist rate, it's 1:9.

Sounds like it may be a Cabela's exclusive? (sorry about the link to that "other" site):

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-bolt-action/4683-hkm77rbbz.html

I just picked up the current "Hawkeye" version in 308 with the "Gunsight/Guide Gun stock:

http://www.ruger.com/products/HawkeyePredator/specSheets/47140.html

Plan was to sell the stock and drop it into a synthetic. We'll see.