What load????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hokie Hunter

Bearcat
I am a new 44 mag Super Redhawk owner. Have been very successfull with my bow, blackpowder and rifle hunting VA whitetail. Decided I wanted a new challenge. Just bought a pristine Super Redhawk. Shot it again today and am absolutely hooked. What loads would anyone recommend??

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
For whitetail, you may wish to limit your shooting to 50 yard or so for a while, or whatever distance you can hit a paper plate while in your normal shooting position.
Check Hodgdon.com for loads. Any 240-250 grain semiwadcutter (SWC) or Keith-design hard-cast flat-pointed lead bullet @ about 900-1000 fps will be fine. Will likely completely penetrate the deer and leave two bleed-holes.
sonnytoo

Dale53

Blackhawk
I have several .44 magnum handguns. I use the same loads in all. Since I also have several .44 Specials, I don't download my .44 Magnums. My hunting load is 24.0 grs of H110 with a Lyman 429421 250 gr Keith cast bullet (or the similar H&G #503). This load gives 1300 fps in most longer barreled revolvers. It will shoot clear through a large whitetail deer lengthwise at 100 yards.

I have taken several deer with this load. It will get the job done and will NOT beat your .44 Magnum to death (not that it's likely to happen with your Ruger).

FWIW
Dale53

Latest posts