What keeps the BH base pin assembly tight?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I was sitting there watching Jack Bauer chase the bad guys while cocking and decocking my converted .44 Special OM Blackhawk. Not dry firing, just going for that 10,000 cycle smoothness! Plus it builds up my muscle memory for this gun. Anyway, suddenly things felt different and I looked down. The three pieces of the base pin assembly had separated and they were sitting in my lap.

I've never taken that apart so it wasn't my fault! But then I never checked it either. I figured out how to put it back together. But I must be missing some crucial piece of information. You can't tighten it with a screwdriver since one side is blocked by that little protruding nub in the middle of the slot. But if you only finger tighten it, you will someday lose it in the tall grass.

So what's the secret on putting this thing back together in a way that this won't happen when I'm out shooting in the woods?

Thanks,

Gregg

J Miller

Blackhawk
Gregg,

The base pin latch assembly is simply a screw and a nut with a spring and the frame section in between.

Assemble it with two screw drivers, one needs to have a slot cut in the center for the end of the screw to enter and then cinch it up tight.

I've not had one come loose after tightening it that way.

You can buy a special base pin nut screw driver from Brownells, or just make one yourself. That's what I did.

Joe

You can buy a special base pin nut screw driver from Brownells, or just make one yourself. That's what I did.

I wondered if that was the solution! Seems like Ruger should put a little screwdriver tool in the box with the guns then!

I'll look for an old one to sacrifice with my Dremel.

Thanks,

Gregg

Pal Val

Buckeye
I milled a groove in a #2 flat screwdriver bit with the dremel. The two-cent solution. That, and a drop of blue locktite in the threads. Problem solved.

pete44ru

Hunter
I didn't have any such problem - but then, I drilled/tapped the head of the cylinder pin for a looong setscrew, which bears in a small dwell point for it's tip that I drilled into the barrel bottom there.

jack76590

Bearcat
I purchased an extra strength spring from wolff to assure the base pin stays in place. Have not installed yet. Do you consider that a good upgrade?