What Is Your Favorite Full Size Auto???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Doc Thornton

Bearcat
The 1911 .45 ACP in one of its basic "as issued" platforms, reliable, powerful.
Must be a quality build made by trusted companies though.

I own an early version of a Rock Island GI type that I modified with an
arched mainspring housing and plastic USGI grips. A throwback to the 1911
I carried in Vietnam (1970) as a US Navy Fleet Marine Force Corpsman.

Okay, a nostalgia thing but I have confidence in the great ergonomic feel
of the pistol when in hand, and it feels comforting and natural to me.
Heavy but carries okay in the right holster.

Doc T.

mac66

Single-Sixer
Full size auto? Kind of matter of symantics. A Glock 19 is considered a "compact" even though it is as big as many full sized guns on the market. A LC9 is also considered a "compact" even thought it is about the same size as many "micro" 9s on the market.

As for me, I grew up worshiping at the alter of Jeff Cooper and the 1911. In recent years I've kinda toned the hero worship down a bit and like my Ruger P97. It's not fancy or expensive, bought it used but it is a nice, accurate all around pistol. Second is probably my SA XD45. Just an overall good, accurate, easy shooting, reliable piece.

20220407_172538.jpg

noahmercy

Blackhawk
I do favor a 1911. I have a 4-digit serial number Kimber Custom, and it is a wonderful pistol. Only mods I have done are Meprolight night sights and a Dlask Arms short titanium/magnesium trigger. As for a DA/SA, it's hard to beat the Sig P226 for a 9mm, and for 45 ACP, an old Ruger P90. The one I had was spooky accurate, reliable, and had a surprisingly good trigger.

area51guy

Bearcat
My fav is a Sig P220 in 45acp w/Sig 22 rim fire conversion kit! I do cheat a bit and use aftermarket 8 rd mags! I've had this one for about 40 years and will likely keep it forever!

vacextar

Blackhawk
Canik TP9SFx. I've been shooting hi-cap 9mm pistols for 30 years and have owned everything from Sig, Ruger, Hi-Power, Taurus, Springfield, Glock, CZ......and since the day I picked up the Canik (maybe 4 years ago or so?), it's about the only gun that ever leaves the safe now. One-hole 3-shot groups at 25 yards are pretty common with it. Best accuracy, best ergonomics, best trigger and (almost) best capacity (20rds, vs 21rds in my CZ P09) of any gun I've ever owned.....as well as being one of the least expensive.....and comes optics-ready.

pyth0n

Buckeye
For full size auto, Rugers & Glocks. Glocks more often because if weight & bulk. My Rugers are P series .45 & 9mm & one SR45. They served me well in competition and they also fit my beer budget. 😊

KIR

Sparks, NV
I kinda like this one...

Attachments

• Dateable.jpg
    Dateable.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 80

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
Easy, though I have a real soft spot for my 1942 era Colt 1911A1 US Army because it's
identical to the one I carried in Nam, my favorite would be my SIG P220 Combat TB.
Dano
2-8-15 P220 COMBAT TB (2)1.jpg

DSCN0617.jpg

LimaCharlie

Bearcat
A five-inch or six-inch 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm is my EDC. If I want more capacity, it is my FN FNX-45 Tactical .45 ACP with fifteen plus one capacity. If I want more power, it is a revolver in .41 magnum, .44 magnum, or .454 Casull.