What is your favorite 38 special load?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
158gr LSWC over 4.5 grs of Win 231. The 158 gr RN works fine too but don't cut the nice clean holes in targets :)

1ruger

Single-Sixer
btrumanj":rzwdl3mq said:
158gr LSWC over 4.5 grs of Win 231. The 158 gr RN works fine too but don't cut the nice clean holes in targets :)

That's too much "kick" for comfort for me as I shoot my pocket revolvers a lot too. Isn't that in the +P range?

Bucks Owin

Hunter
My favorite load in a .38 Spl case is Skeeter's favorite old .357 load. Again, .357 LOAD. That be 13.5 grs 2400 under a Lyman 358156 crimped in lower groove. I don't load them often, just like to fire a few once in awhile as kind of a tribute to ol' Skeeter I guess. There's no shortage of .357 cases these days!...Dennis 8)

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
1ruger":2f906wu6 said:
btrumanj":2f906wu6 said:

That's too much "kick" for comfort for me as I shoot my pocket revolvers a lot too. Isn't that in the +P range?

In many of today's manuals it probably is 1 to 3 grs over the max load shown. In my smaller guns I use 4 grs of 231 with the 158gr bullets. To be honest I don''t find the smaller snubbies much fun to shoot. I also want my practice loads to be suitable for self defense in a pinch. I shoot mine just enough to make sure I can still get a respectable group at close range. No long sessions with them for me :)

Snake45

Hawkeye
btrumanj":85nft5ta said:
1ruger":85nft5ta said:
btrumanj":85nft5ta said:

In many of today's manuals it probably is 1 to 3 grs over the max load shown. In my smaller guns I use 4 grs of 231 with the 158gr bullets. To be honest I don''t find the smaller snubbies much fun to shoot. I also want my practice loads to be suitable for self defense in a pinch. I shoot mine just enough to make sure I can still get a respectable group at close range. No long sessions with them for me :)
That was one of my favorite loads back in the '80s, but I see that it seems to be kinda "warm" according to today's loading data. All my ".38" guns are actually .357s anyway. One thing I liked about the 4.5/231 charge was that it was also good under 115-120 grain cast bullets in 9mm, so I didn't have to adjust the powder measure when switching between the two.

1ruger

Single-Sixer
I frequently carry a lightweight "J" frame while at work as it is about the largest size weapon I can carry all dressed up. It's also the weapon I carry in the pocket around the house while doing my chores or out playing with my son. Since I carry the little "J" frame revolver a lot I practice with it frequently. I try to shoot 100+ round with it every month and even shoot some IDPA matches with it. I try to keep the load a bit mild so the little revolver doesn't get so beat up.

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
Snake wrote
That was one of my favorite loads back in the '80s, but I see that it seems to be kinda "warm" according to today's loading data. All my ".38" guns are actually .357s anyway. One thing I liked about the 4.5/231 charge was that it was also good under 115-120 grain cast bullets in 9mm, so I didn't have to adjust the powder measure when switching between the two.

I've used that 4.5 gr of 231 quite a lot for loading 125 gr lead bullets in 9MM but nowadays prefer something just a bit slower. AA5, AA7 and HS6 have worked well for me.
Actually been thinking of getting some 125 gr LRNFP bullets for those small .38s since my carry load is +P 125 gr JHPs. I think the lighter lead bullets at regular velocities would be more sensible for practice and much easier on the guns :)

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
0.3cc of bullseye behind a 100 grain DEWC

fun, light, clean, accurate, easy to reload, and cheap to shoot. Brass lasts a really, really long time with these light target loads. Have some brass that I have been using since the 1980's

BrokNAirow

Bearcat
:D.... 158gr RNF lead wheel weights.....3.6gr HP38....very accurate,mild recoil
705 fps. can cut cards off hand if i do my part with a old blackhawk liberty model....but my 10 yr old grand-daughter who reloads with me likes these as her cowgirl loads...she has good eyes and steady hands....just wish i still did... :lol:

I'm Brok :mrgreen:

papajohn

Bearcat
My 38 load duplicates factory ballistics at Plus-P level, since I have to carry one on duty. My carry ammo is the Speer Gold Dot Short-barrel load (135 grains) so I want my practice ammo to shoot exactly the same way. I either use 4.2 grains of WST with a Rainier 158-grain plated bullet, of 4.5 grains of WST and a plated 125-grain bullet. The loads are clean enough that cleaning is only needed past 1000 rounds, and the lighter bullet makes practicing with a snubby far more tolerable.

Velocities out of a 4-inch barrel run about 900fps with the 158-grain load, the lighter bullet runs a little faster, but out of the snubby it's a shade over 850. Not exactly a powerhouse, but very accurate, and easy to shoot fast.

Rex Driver

Bearcat
Wyandot Jim":1d4z1wpv said:
Well for my CAS loads. I use 125 LRNFP and 4.0 231 and 4.5 231 with 100GR. LRNFP. gets ya around 800 and 1000 fps and not much muzzle flip.
JIm

Jim, you da man, for my CAS loads I like 3.4 of 231 behind either a 125 RNFP or a 125 FP and have even tried some 105 FPs for my Rugers. I do have a load a little closer to yours in a 3.8 of 231 behind either a 158 GR RNFP or 125 RNFP for those pesky knock downs or Texas Stars.

I have even ventured to the very tame 3.0 of 231 for a while before manning up and going another .4 grains to protect my manly image.

toysoldier

Hunter
Not a favorite load, but:
I bought a box of .38 odds and ends, including some 140 grain Keith type cast lead, and 60 grain lead cylinders. I loaded one each together over 3.0 grains of Bullseye. Recoil is noticeably greater than most other loads, and both bullets impact high and right, from both a Taurus snubbie and a Ruger .38 Service-Six. Fun and interesting, but not a practical way to get more impact on target.

johnbh

Bearcat
I'm finally going to start reloading. I going to start w/ clay universal 3.2 to 3.8 . I going to start w/ 3.5 powder 125 gr berrys semi wad. Would this be a good start. Any advise would be of help.
Thanks

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
johnbh":36gf1q34 said:
I'm finally going to start reloading. I going to start w/ clay universal 3.2 to 3.8 . I going to start w/ 3.5 powder 125 gr berrys semi wad. Would this be a good start. Any advise would be of help.
Thanks

I use 4.0gr of Universal with 158gr copper plated bullet in a 38 special case.

A 125gr bullet would be faster and have less recoil and pressure. That would be a very good place to start. You can almost always go to a lighter bullet of the same construction when you have data at hand. The lighter bullet will almost always make less pressure. :D

....Jimbo