What is value of a 1989 10/22 in excellant condition?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

around here the 'used' carbines run in the $150-175 range, boxed a bit more, extras , a bit more, and , if stainless, or if a sporter (RSI) or having a walnut stock, again, a bit more........
NEW ones sell from $206 to $239 at ALL the local shops and bigger stores, yes there are some even more , they being "packages' stainless, scopes, and other options or extras

hittman

Staff member
Yeah, we need way way more information. Ruger's made dozens (... or hundreds? ...) of different variations of the 10/22.

Dan kinda nailed it ...... which one and what condition?

jerryb4

Bearcat
It's a carbine with the wood stock & is prob. 90 of 100% in condition. Thanks for the input.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
jerryb4,
A 1989 carbine like yours is more desirable to me than the currently made ones. Less plastic more metal. The older walnut stocked 10/22's are even more desirable. Yours in 90% condition with no stock damage but finish wear, all original parts and if it hasn't been abused from use or improper cleaning (cleaning rod abrading the bore at the muzzle) would bring $165 to $185 around here in a retail setting. Trade value would be 35 to 40% less.

Best Regards,
ADP3

Rocdoc

Buckeye
ADP3 said:
.......(cleaning rod abrading the bore at the muzzle)

Honest question about your post: How can a cleaning rod abrade (damage) the bore at the muzzle? The cleaning rods I've seen/used ranged from fiberglass to aluminum to brass to wood on a ML. The only way steel barrels can be damaged by a cleaning rod is if it is made of a harder material than the rifle barrel. Are there steel cleaning rods out there? Maybe military issue? I don't know. Softer materials can be streaked onto harder materials, but softer materials can never scratch harder materials.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Yep, there are steel cleaning rods out there in any caliber you can name. Water is softer than rock but give it enough time, pressure and motion and it wears away any rock. The worst offenders I'm aware of were GI's who scrubbed the heck out of their M-1's and let the rod rub against the muzzle. Look at a rack grade M-1 and you'll see what I mean. Any rod can cause uneven wear at the muzzle on the lands of the rifling and affect accuracy. Coated rods are less likely to do it, but if they pick up grit they can abrade as well.

Best Regards,
ADP3

dakota1911

Buckeye
Down here I don't see them very much in the gun stores I go to. I have one I got in the 70s for $49 I think and then put a 4 power Weaver on with Tipoff mounts. Nice rifle. Since it is the oldest one I have I took a picture when I got my takedown as the newest one. When you look at what the new ones go for I could see about $150-200 for a nice older one.