What is This ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

41Dude

Single-Sixer
Joined
Jul 10, 2003
Messages
442
Location
Idaho
That is what they are made for.
My Mother worked at a hatters for years.
These are tools she used .
The first tool is called a runner down.
The second tool is called a puller down.
They were used to stretch and shape felt hats.

Now if wanted , I will post some more pictures of tools she used.

VERY cool (y) 🇺🇸
 
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
9,940
Location
Dallas, TX
Those tools are very cool. I love the patina on them.

As for sausage making, would they have used wooden tools? I would think they would get pretty dirty and germ filled. And just be hard to clean in general.
 

SWR

Single-Sixer
Joined
Apr 11, 2004
Messages
230
Location
Florida
If you are asking about the first couple tools, one is a push down tool ( push down forms or material on a form ) and the other "curly" looking tool is for establishing the crease where the brim and body meet, usually on a form
 

dadstillsurfs

Bearcat
Joined
Jun 10, 2024
Messages
8
Location
California
Old tools are fascinating. I have toolboxes set up for different jobs and depending on what I am working on determines the box I use. Through the years I have bought old toolboxes and every one has had homemade tools in it that I am sure were used for specific purposes.

I make up sets of tools for young people going into the skilled trades and assist them in any way possible. There is a young man graduating this month who is going into HVACR and has several job offers. I set him up with a basic tool set last year and he took 2nd place in the statewide Skills USA competition in April. He will be getting more tools as he advances and the only thing I ask is that he does the same for someone when he is a journeyman.
As the proud father of a HVAC Journeyman, he is a foreman for the Service side of his company BTW, thank you for assisting these young trades folks as they begin their journey. It's incredibly important that they see that the "old guys" give a darn about them getting started right.
My 1st job out of High School was hanging drywall and my journeyman was the State Apprentice Champ. His favorite phrase? "HEY when you get a chance, HURRY".
Thanks again for supporting the next generation of tradespeople... goodness knows the United States needs more skilled labor, not more indebted Baristas with Masters Degrees.

My Grandfather worked on Pullman cars back in the day. His toolbox had about 70% better-than-good hand and carpentry tools, but the other 30% were all purpose-built / handmade tools. He had to go from one end of the train to the other to fix things, so he packed along lengths of strap steel to make wrenches and such with, rather than carry a bunch of unneeded tools back and forth.
 
Last edited:

larry8

Blackhawk
Joined
Aug 23, 2011
Messages
531
Location
NE SC USA
If it's a tool, that means it is needed for somebody to do some work. Since I'm retired and am against doing any work, I don't want anything like it.
 

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
Joined
Jun 20, 2009
Messages
1,518
Location
Sonoran Desert Az.
If you are asking about the first couple tools, one is a push down tool ( push down forms or material on a form ) and the other "curly" looking tool is for establishing the crease where the brim and body meet, usually on a form
I knew what they were. I just posted to see if anyone else did.
I have actually used these when I was a kid at the hat shop.
 

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Joined
Jun 24, 2004
Messages
7,978
Location
Memphis, TN USA
Where was this hat shop you write about?

I ask because Paris Hatters in San Antonion, TX has been a supplier to the western stars. And there is a custom hat maker in Covington, Tennessee.

Bob Wright
 

Latest posts

Top