what is the rarist gun youve ever shot?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

a couple of English side by side rifles, a long time ago a guy used to be at a gun range I went to and he had 5 or 6 old pre ww2 side by side rifles that he let me shoot, don't remember all the calibers but .450, .470, .416

The Norseman

Blackhawk
I'm pretty boring compared to the above enthusiasts.

One of the rarest and hunt Pheasants with, is my
Ruger Gold Label English stocked Side by Side 12ga.
shotgun.

Another rare one and I still shoot often is a United States
Fire Arms Premium Grade Single Action Flattop
Target model (adjustable iron sights) .44 S&W Special,
4-3/4"bbl.

street

Hunter
1849 Colt Pocket Pistol
1853 Colt Navy
1860 Colt Army
A full stock .36 cal. Mountain Rifle
a Hawkeye .256 Cal.
1911 WWI Colt, Blue not parkerized
Old Muzzle loading Shotgun
Winchester Model 92, 25-20

Ager Coffee Mill. Gatling had to pay Ager royalties for stealing the rotating breech and making it work by having the barrels rotate with them so no out of battery discharges. I hope the video posts. 12 complete originals in museums, 4 restorations and a few replicas. They had a bad habit of firing out of battery with predictable results.

Attachments

• IMG_20170617_140622007.jpg
    IMG_20170617_140622007.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20170617_140638243.jpg
    IMG_20170617_140638243.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
My Great Uncle had an Ithica 10 ga. black powder double barrel
shotgun. Shot brass shells he loaded by hand. Beautiful gun.
I was supposed to have inherited it but his daughter's husband
wanted it and that was that.
Dano

I have no idea the name but it was a semi auto thingee. I believe that Colonialgirl or her partner had it at one of the Gatherings. Anyone remember what I am speaking of?

I have a Kentucky Tripplet and Scott 56-50 rimfire but have never fired it.
rJHMVclh.png

Last edited:

Gun_Cat

Bearcat
Shot? a Lahti L-39 Finnish 20mm anti-tank rifle.
Owned and shot? A Ruger No.1 in 38-55 WCF. The story I've read it that Ruger made either 400 or 289 of them for Sloan's some time ago.

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
The Florida Highway Patrol favored five inch revolvers for many years (likely for the exact reasons you mentioned), but I think those were .357 Magnums. They also required factory nickel plating; some of their contracts therefore ended up being 'special order' items, because the revolvers purchased didn't normally come with five inch barrels, or didn't normally come with factory nickel plating. In that latter category are 20+ FHP factory nickel S&W Model 28s (which are apparently one of those "unicorns" that some collectors look for)!
Elmer Keith favored 5" revolvers for the reasons stated,so on his advice I bought a Colt Anaconda 44 Mag with 5" barrel for $444.
Great gun, shot it a lot,but then Colt prices went through the roof,and I found out that only 150 of those were made.
I put it on GunBroker and it sold for $5982...
the guy that bought it called me when the auction ended,he was very happy,and a little drunk!

...I put it on GunBroker and it sold for $5982...
the guy that bought it called me when the auction ended,he was very happy,and a little drunk!

Did he actually pay? I've seen more than a few high bidders on GunBroker who changed their minds (& it's becoming a lot more common, because the web site doesn't automatically ban them anymore).

XP100

Blackhawk
My dads original early US stamped blackpowder frame Colt 45 revolver. I loaded so he brought it over to my house and I loaded 6 rounds with blackpowder, we went out back of my place and we each shot 3 rounds. Took it back to my shop and cleaned it. He told my it was in his will and I wold get it and his 1954 Savage 99. He passed before his second wife, I refused to call her my stepmother, I waited a couple of months and called her and asked about the guns and she told me she couldn't find either one of them and would call if she did. She gave their home to her daughter a week after he passed and I never heard a word from her , its been over 6 yrs.

g5m

Blackhawk
Maybe the rarist gun I've handled, not shot, was a WW2 bringback from Japan that was a copy of a 1911A1 (and I think it was in 45 ACP) that was made in Japan during the war. A copycat pistol. Perfect condition. It was a relative's. His father brought it back after finding it from wandering through a Japanese arsenal.

I'd forgotten about it until reading this thread.

Last edited: