what is the rarist gun youve ever shot?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BROKENBEAR

Single-Sixer
1. Lahti L39 20mm anti armor semi-auto "tank gun"
2. NICKEL 1918 Luger (was taken as is by my FIL from a high ranking nazi outside Berlin)
3. Danzig 1834 75cal Civil war front loader

1. 2 men and a boy to carry it ..not near heavy enough when you pull the trigger ..I was an idiot
2. They say there was never a nickle Luger but this thing is nickel inside and out ..I just don"t see
how a Luger could ever be plated without all internal specs milled to allow for the plating thickness

Bear

BarkeyVA

Single-Sixer
Custom-made 16 ga. Marlin Model Skeet King. Ole Horsrud, the inventer of the Model 90 (Patent No. 2,376,358) had it made as a gift for his friend. Marlin only sold the M90 Skeet King by special order in 1939 and 1940. I bought the gun at a Farm Estate Sale held in North Dakota in 2008.

Rum River

Bearcat
I can't believe I forgot this - but I got a chance to fire one of the first model Gatling guns! Not a replica. Was at a gun fair where a Civil War re-enactment group had one set up. For $20 you got eighteen shots. The 'cartridges' were iron that were each loaded similar to a muzzleloader with powder, bullet and percussion cap. They dropped into a metal tray under the mount. There was also an original 1857 (?) smoothbore cannon which for $50 you could pull the lanyard on a blank charge. I thought the Gatling was way cooler and ended up going through a number of $20 bills.

jgt

Buckeye
First one was a model 21 Winchester 20ga Pigeon Grade. My buddy bought at a pawn shop for $45. He later sold it for a pile of hundreds and a New Charles Daly over and under 28ga. Next one I own, a S&W five inch 1950 M&P 44 special. Last but not least is another one I own. A five inch 1950 target 44 special. This one is lettered. The S&W's are very accurate guns and shoot like a six inch, but pack like a four inch.

Last edited:
First one was a model 21 Winchester 20ga Pigeon Grade. My buddy bought at a pawn shop for $45. He later sold it for a pile of hundreds and a New Charles Daly over and under 28ga. Next one I own, a S&W five inch 1950 M&P 44 special. Last but not least is another one I own. A five inch 1950 target 44 special. This one is lettered. The S&W's are very accurate guns and shoot like a six inch, but pack like a four inch.
I also have a 1956 vintage 1950 Target 44 Special. As you said, very accurate!

Sapo

Single-Sixer
Rare to me.......
9.3x72R /16 ga drilling, awesome gun
1918 BAR. It does weigh 19 or 18 pounds!!

...The S&W's are very accurate guns and shoot like a six inch, but pack like a four inch.

The Florida Highway Patrol favored five inch revolvers for many years (likely for the exact reasons you mentioned), but I think those were .357 Magnums. They also required factory nickel plating; some of their contracts therefore ended up being 'special order' items, because the revolvers purchased didn't normally come with five inch barrels, or didn't normally come with factory nickel plating. In that latter category are 20+ FHP factory nickel S&W Model 28s (which are apparently one of those "unicorns" that some collectors look for)!

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
Wow...many kinda rare pieces over the years. Had a Winchester M-21 in 410. A 600 H&H(brutal) a Win M-21 16 ga Grand American with 2 bbls engraved... the usual full auto suspects...a New Ithaca Double Grade 4 ejector gun in 28 ga(either 6 or 7 made) and a 5 gun Win M-12/42 set made for a well known All American Skeet shooter of the 30's/40s

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
While in the Army at Ft. Ord, California, I shot a Remington 1849 Pocket Model, .31 cal. cap and ball revolver.
(And, NO, it was not issued at the time!)

Bob Wright

Bodie

Bearcat
Shot my Merwin & Hulbert pocket army .44-40 in some SASS matches. Wish I would have kept it.

gemihur

a Shootist
Ridgelines of the Blue Ridge, Roanoke, VA
44 cal Tingle 'Prospector'
Tingle.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
Thought of three more that ought to qualify:

1. ODI Viking, a production version of the Seecamp double action Colt Commander conversion.

2. Rhineland Arms R22, sort of a "love child" of HK93, Ruger 10/22, and AR-15. I don't think more than a few hundred were made.

3. Broadhead Armory M3C, a semiauto M3 "Grease Gun." Again, I don't think more than a few hundred were made.