What is the oldest thing you own?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fiasconva

Single-Sixer
Probably some home sown quilts that my great grandmother gave to my grandmother over 100 years ago. My grandmother died in 2000 and she was 101 yrs. old.

noahmercy

Single-Sixer
Aside from fossils and some American Indian relics (which date back nearly a thousand years), I have some Qing Dynasty coins. They are from 1740-1751.

TNT

Bearcat
Silver dollar dated 1799, the same year George Washington died.

1865 3¢ piece
I'll raise you 7-cents. ;)

In 1864+/-, congress allowed the printing of fractional currency. Apparently it lasted a while, as this bill is series 1874.

P1030370_zpsz7j1o1ji.jpg

Chief 101

Hunter
This chair was as legend has it was made for my great grandmother as a child over 150 years ago. Wood was said to be of Apple wood, seat was said to be rawhide from horse hide. I have set it in this setting so show it's size. I have duplicated the wood parts from a Walnut tree I took down but have yet to rawhide, a bit of Elk hide for the seat. This may be the oldest manmade item I have...maybe not...but I likes it
100_0175.JPG

freakindawgen

Single-Sixer
I have some photos of my Mom's family from mid 1800's. Some Morgan dollars, and my favorites my Grandpa's 1906 Waltam and 1907 Elgin pocket watches still working.

I think with the examples given, folks just might have some old stuff they don't think of. A pocket watch for example. We have my Wife's Grampa's pocket watch. Have no idea how old. I have both my Grampa's wristwatches. I have my Grampa's discharge papers from WWI. Recently I uncovered a pipe I've had many years, with a note from my Gramma in the bowl saying it was her Dad's pipe. Also, we have quite an assortment of English china that my Wife inherited from her Canadian ancestors. Although not as old, I have a 69-year old highchair my Grampa made me when I was a baby. I wont be here forever, and my kids don't want more stuff, so what's a feller to do to plan for the disposal of lifes treasures?

Last edited:

HW11

Single-Sixer
My great grandmother's drop leaf table. We don't know when she was born but she passed away in 1906. I got the table from my grandmother. She was born in 1900.