WHAT IS THE FASCINATION WITH THE 44 SPECIAL?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jpickar

Blackhawk
First off I'm not trying to start any arguements or anything like that!

My honest question is why is there the fascination with the 44 special when you can shoot 44 specials out of a 44 mag.? My SS SBH shoots both very well. I just don't understand why?

I'm sure I'll hear from both sides but please keep the comments directed at me and not each other. Everyone is entitled to thier opinion. I am just courious.

Thanks, John

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
Much like the 45 Colt and 45 ACP, the 44 Special is a great heavy-bullet, low-pressure round that is adequate for 90% of anything you need a handgun to do.

Plus......it's just so FUN to shoot. :lol:

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Yes 44 Specials can be fired in 44 Mags, but usually the specials come in smaller more compact packages. The recent Ruger FT's are on the medium frame and are smaller and handier than the Full sized 44 frames, and for most the special is adequate for our handgunning needs.

I see a "trend" it seems where many are realizing that the big magnums really are not needed as much as we used to think. I know that is the case for me lately.

varminter22

Single-Sixer
BIgMuddy":3ft8rdv4 said:
Yes 44 Specials can be fired in 44 Mags, but usually the specials come in smaller more compact packages. The recent Ruger FT's are on the medium frame and are smaller and handier than the Full sized 44 frames, and for most the special is adequate for our handgunning needs.

I see a "trend" it seems where many are realizing that the big magnums really are not needed as much as we used to think. I know that is the case for me lately.

Agreed!

The (large frame) Super Blackhawk is significantly bigger and heavier than the (mid size frame) Blackhawk.

I have concluded (some years ago) that I simply do not need .44 Mag power; neither do I need to carry around the extra size and weight of the .44 Mag.

Dangerous/big game? Maybe (in some instances) another story. But I don't plan to do that with a .44.

As far as self defense is concerned, MOST everyone agrees the .45ACP with a 230 gr bullet at 850 fps is a fine cartridge. So what could be wrong with a .44 Spec with a similar weight bullet at a similar speed?

Eric N.

Bearcat
Big bullet,lite recoil,and fun to shoot. What more could one ask for? That could just be me,I shoot my 30 06 T/C Encore pistol a lot too. 8)

jpickar

Blackhawk
The package not the caliber. I understand that.

I have a SBH SS with the rounded triggerguard. It is my first Ruger 44 mag as the square triggerguard just was not comforatable for me to shoot.

So is my 44 different size cylinder frame than my 357 Blackhawk?

John

BearStopper

Blackhawk
I don't have a Ruger 44 special but after reading articles by Skeeter Skelton it certainly made me want one. Now that Ruger offers it I am sure it is only a matter of time and a good price. True it is a great all around shooting round and can be remarkably accurate as shown by the groups shot and displayed on this forum. When it comes to hunting small and medium game at close range it will get the job done with proper placement but a serious big game hunter would be better served by a .41 magnum and up. Considering a 30-30 rifle outpowers a 44 magnum then it puts a different perspective on what is considered necessary for a big game round. I know that a 30-30 is capable on any North American big game at close range and with proper placement but most people would laugh at a guy hunting elk, moose, or big bears with such a round. So, while the 44 special isn't considered a big game round in my book even though it is capable especially with handloads, most revolver guys love the accuracy, easy handling and, versatility in handloading that it offers and combine that with a little bit of "Because Skeeter Says So" and you have a winner.

BearStopper

Blackhawk
jpickar":n22ksj1f said:

I have a SBH SS with the rounded triggerguard. It is my first Ruger 44 mag as the square triggerguard just was not comforatable for me to shoot.

John
It is my understanding that all New Model 357 Blackhawks are indeed on the large cylinder frame same as a Super Blackhawk, whereas the Old Model 357 Blackhawk is on the medium cylinder frame identical in size to the 44 special Blackhawk.

DanChamberlain

Single-Sixer
Don't have a Ruger in .44 Special. May never. But I have a Cimarron in .44 Special with a 4 5/8 and it is the perfect packing sixgun. Accurate as all get out. I have a couple Ruger .44 Mags that get some holster time too, but as the day wears on, I tend to feel them more than the Cimarron.

Truth is, the original .357 Blackhawk flattop, was as close to a Colt Single Action as one could get in a modern design and for the life of me, all future "improvements" on the design were steps back and not forward! The Shooting public wanted guns like the originals, but Ruger decided which way things were going to go, and the shooters simply had to follow the band wagon or go fish!

Those of us who weren't satisfied, had to modify existing models to get what we wanted. Now, they're factory options!

Dan

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
jpickar":280yepol said:

John

If you have a new model 357 blackhawk then no it is not. If you have an old model blackhawk in 357 then yes it is. If you have a 50th anniversary 357 then yes it is. If you have a vaquero in 357 then no. If you have a New vaquero in 357 then yes. WOW that was hard to think through.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
I asked a similar question about a 44 special conversion and "why it was the way to go" and this is one of what I think is the best worded answers I've received. It was provided by Flatgate back in July of '08. I've been waiting for the chance to quote him.

"The roots of this line of thinking lie within a wide brimmed hat setting on one Elmer Keith's noggin'!"

tookalisten

Blackhawk
I am glad you posted this question and appreciate the answers. I had wondered the same, and had just not considered the size of the frames and weight differences. This forum teaches me something every day!

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, many of the same things I feel have already been covered,, so I'll just add a little thought;

"If ya have to ask,, you just don't understand."

Borrow one & shoot it,, and you'll understand,, I'm sure.

CraigC

Hawkeye
BearStopper":2b9084of said:
Considering a 30-30 rifle outpowers a 44 magnum then it puts a different perspective on what is considered necessary for a big game round.
Energy figures never tell the whole story.

BearStopper":2b9084of said:
When it comes to hunting small and medium game at close range it will get the job done with proper placement but a serious big game hunter would be better served by a .41 magnum and up.
Magnums add velocity and velocity only serves to flatten trajectory. A properly loaded .44Spl will take anything in North America short of the big bears. The 250gr Keith bullet over Skeeter's load of 7.5gr Unique will fully penetrate any deer from near about any angle.

batmann

Single-Sixer
If, like Smith, you put the .44 Special on a Magnum frame, you gain nothing as far as size and portability goes. You do gain some versitilty as you can shoot both.
Ruger put their .44 Special on their 'mid' size Flattop frame which is the same size ae the NV and the 50th .357 and created, what many believe , to be the perfect size for the caliber. It is now a 2010 regular production item and Lipsey's has just introduced the 4 /58" version in stainless. I have the 4 5/8" and have just ordered it's brother in stainless, all in all a pretty good package and a great woods gun.
The .44 Spl and the .45 Colt will do about 85% of what really needs doing with a handgun with less presure and recoil and in smaller packages than the Magnum frames
I can tell all of this because I once felt the same way, that is until I got my Lipsey Blackhawk Flattop in .44 Spl------It really opened my eyes on both the cartridge and the frame size. If you have a chance to buy one, do not stop at go, do not collect you $200, go direct to you local gun store and see, you will walk out one, they are that nice.

Latest posts