What is the difference between a clone and a replica?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dillon Justice

Bearcat
My understanding is that a clone is either a complete copy or nearly a complete copy, either authorized or not authorized, with most of the parts being interchangeable. A good example of a clone would be the new Springfield SA35 Highpower. Where as a replica can be something that looks like the original, whether functioning or non- functioning. An example would be the Ruger Vaqueros, where they look like a Colt S/A but no parts are interchangeable and are not meant to be a copy, they only replicate the appearance. What say you?

it's all 'semantics' and as the English language is all too often quite confusing, can be used as need in any sentence, the folks that KNOW ,,understand...just like a "reblue ,refinish , restored"...they "restore " cars and "reblue-refinish" guns,,,again, the experts know the difference, so that will affect the "values"........then of course you have "fakes, repops" and thats when it can become a 'scam'.....caveat emptor:cool::rolleyes:;)

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Dillon, you have it right:

A clone is an exact copy of the original (parts should interchange).

A replica looks like or resembles the original. Your example of the Vaquero as a replica is a good one.

The word clone is usually mis-used when used for guns.

Also:
The 2nd and 3rd generation Colt cap and ball revolvers are sometimes called clones or replicas, but are not. They are original Colts just reintroduced after a long interruption of their original production period by the same original manufaturer.

Dillon Justice

Bearcat
So would y'all consider a Tanfoglio Witness, IWI Jericho or a SAR B6 clones of the CZ75?
Not sure but I think the Tanfoglio does not have interchangeable parts with the the CZ so ( if true) it would not be a clone, whereas the Jericho does interchange parts making it a true clone. I know absolutely nothing about the SAR. Just my thinking, and what I think and $5 would buy you a cup of coffee, LOL

Snake Pleskin

Banned
My understanding is that a clone is either a complete copy or nearly a complete copy, either authorized or not authorized, with most of the parts being interchangeable. A good example of a clone would be the new Springfield SA35 Highpower. Where as a replica can be something that looks like the original, whether functioning or non- functioning. An example would be the Ruger Vaqueros, where they look like a Colt S/A but no parts are interchangeable and are not meant to be a copy, they only replicate the appearance. What say you?
I think you have it pretty well nailed.

Bret

Bearcat
Not sure but I think the Tanfoglio does not have interchangeable parts with the the CZ so ( if true) it would not be a clone, whereas the Jericho does interchange parts making it a true clone. I know absolutely nothing about the SAR. Just my thinking, and what I think and $5 would buy you a cup of coffee, LOL
I'm a big fan of the CZ75 and the other pistols that were inspired by it that have inverted rails. I have a good number of them. Most of the people that are really in to these pistols would consider the Tanfoglio, Jericho, SAR, etc. to be clones. In fact, the primary forum for CZ firearms (czfirearms.us) has a subforum called the CZ Clone Club. The general design of the Tanfoglio pistols was copied from the CZ75 with some improvements. The Jericho, SAR, Rock Island, etc. were in turn copied from the Tanfoglio design, so they have more in common with it than the CZ75. All this to say that my take on what's a clone is primarily based on my experience with these pistols. Therefore, I'm not of the opinion that there needs to be parts interchangeability for something to be considered a clone. Heck, some CZ75 parts and Tanfoglio parts won't interchange with other variations from the same manufacturer. CZ75 magazines are a good example.

Clone:
noun
  • 1. an organism or cell, or group of organisms or cells, produced asexually from one ancestor or stock, to which they are genetically identical.
verb
  • 1. propagate (an organism or cell) as a clone: "of the hundreds of new plants cloned the best ones are selected"

rep·li·ca
/ˈrepləkə/

noun
  • 1. an exact copy or model of something, especially one on a smaller scale: "a replica of the Empire State Building"

Bret

Bearcat
Calling a replica a clone doesn't make it so. They don't have identical DNA. In fact being purely inorganic (except possibly and then even rarely today wooden grips) they don't have DNA.
Words have different meaning depending on the context. Based on the definition of clone that you've used, there would be no gun clones at all. I just wanted to point out that when it comes to guns, there is no set definition regarding what a clone is.

When it comes to computers, according to dictionary.com a clone is defined as "a computer designed to simulate exactly the operation of another, typically more expensive, model. "an IBM PC clone" Nobody would argue that the companies that make PC clones are attempting to produce identical computers. They are attempting to produce computers that function and perform in a similar manner.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
CZ-75 is a unique situation .

In the U.S. , The Tangfolio was what established the popularity and reputation for " CZ Type " pistols . The TZ's (any of the dozen or so importers with their own model names , but all the same pistols from the same production line) were " normal " , and actual Czech CZs were rare exotics .

Latest posts