What IS it with me?!?!?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

At one time.....my sigline had the statement:
"Hopeless CZ Junkie!"

I don't have a large collection of firearms....but at one time I had as many as 6 semi-autos.

I'm down to 2 CZ's a 3" Ruger GP-100 and an XD45 Tactical.

I'm about to buy an XD9SC.......and sell my two CZ's.

The XD9SC is definite.
The next firearms in line are a 4" GP-100 (I hope!), a 2" SP-101, a New Model Super Blackhawk in either .44mag or .357mag, and a Super Redhawk!

What is it about Ruger Wheelguns?!?!?! I should have everything 'cept the Super Redhawk by Halloween.

I'm addicted!
My EDC right now is the GP-100. That MAY change to the XD9SC (ordering it next week).

But I am LUUUSTING after Ruger wheelies! I GOTTA have 'em! A Speed Six will come down the line sometime as well.

Anyone else make the decisive witch from Bottom-Feeders to Wheelies???

-

RonEgg

Blackhawk
I understand your problem. Before I started, I had ten or eleven 1911's of various makes and sizes.. I am now down to two. My Ruger count has gone from two to eight with two being built at a custom shop.

Ron

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
Don't worry it gets worse a year ago I had 3 pistols. Today I have 17 and want more my problem is I don't get rid of any to get more I just add more as I can. Guns are addictive and there are always more you don't have. Five years ago I decided I wanted a motorcycle I wasn't working and had no income so I decided to get rid of some guns to pay for the bike. I found a guy that wanted used guns so I sold him 42 shotguns at one time and paid cash for my bike and paid off a cc and my 4 wheeler and had money left over.I kept 10 shotguns I didn't sell this was just shotguns. So you could say they are a investment. I buy a lot of good deals and probably doubled my money on most of the guns I sold and moved them in 1 day they are kind of like money in the bank.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
See...I don't get you guys with a metric buttload of basically standard, non-collector-grade guns. Sorry, but I don't. I'd much rather have one good custom tuned and tweaks just like I want it than a dozen standard pieces.

As of this moment I own a grand total of one centerfire gun. My carry piece in 357 that I've been tweaking on for years now. And I have a matching 22LR trainer for it on the same basic platform.

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Probably, like most of us here, you appreciate guns that are practical, durable, and reliable. You also like the ones that are a bit unique or collectible, but can't afford to focus on this facet too much. Am I close?

Ruger wheelguns offer much in the way of everyday utility and are a great value. I imagine if I happened to be born into lots of money my gun tastes would be different. I might own some Rugers, but I'd probably have a large collection of old/rare Smiths and Colts, and maybe some exotics, like European shotguns, for instance. I might also have gotten caught up in the tacticool plastic autoloaders and assault rifles trend. As it is, I don't have a lot of money, and I'm fine with that because I love my modest collection of Rugers and a few other assorted value-laden (not to be confused with valuable) guns.

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
JimMarch1":39hsgka9 said:
As of this moment I own a grand total of one centerfire gun. My carry piece in 357 that I've been tweaking on for years now. And I have a matching 22LR trainer for it on the same basic platform.

I envy you in a way. I could never bear to part with most of my guns, but I almost wish I could sell or trade all but 2 or 3 of them for lots of ammo, reloading supplies, and accessories. (I'd definitely want to keep a centerfire, a .22, and a rifle.) Then I would focus on just getting really good with one gun, until it becomes like an extension of my body. As you suggest, it would ideally be a really slick custom gun with every detail just the way I like it.

I don't remember who it was, but someone here on RugerForum a while back wrote: "Beware the man with one gun; he probably knows how to use it."

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
Well you can bet I'm on a budget. I'm a political activist dealing mainly in electronic voting issues. No regrets, I'm single and no kids so I can deal with a few years of low bucks.

I was using a 38snubbie as main defense and had my mid-2005-vintage NewVaq357 as a nice thing I could afford at that time. I started tweaking it (mild sight mods, springs, SBH hammer, altered grip panels), liked it a lot, a bit over a year ago I figured out how to carry it (modified fanny pack) and started doing so. Was able to trade the snub for a good 22LR SA. Then recently figured out a damned radical sight setup that's taken this baby right over the edge but also into a whole new realm of fast sights.

The next and craziest step is yet to come. I think there's a way to get 3-second reloads outta this thing...that's unload and reload. It's just a concept but...heh...oh yeah...muaaahahaa!

Rex Driver

Bearcat
JimMarch1":2a2il3bs said:
See...I don't get you guys with a metric buttload of basically standard, non-collector-grade guns. Sorry, but I don't. I'd much rather have one good custom tuned and tweaks just like I want it than a dozen standard pieces.

Jim, that is half of the fun of collecting, you get to set the goals of the collection, the reason for the collection and the ways YOU will enjoy the collection.

I have a modest collection of SA Rugers (10) and none of them are what the in the box three screw crowd would call collectors, however, all ten have been collected and continue to collect many memories and fun for me, whether at my local indoor range, my local outdoor range, at a cowboy shoot or at the loading bench.

I do modify some of the guns, however, most of the modifications are for the purpose of making them feel right in Cowboy shooting. For an example, I have found that by taking the stock grips off of a New model lock in the stock Blackhawk and putting them on an original model Vaguero, it will make the original vaquero feel more like the new model vaquero, something that makes it more easy to shoot my original model backups from time to time.

Now we can tackle the age old question of, "Am I a collector or an accumulator?".

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Gary in Pennsylvania":128buopp said:
What is it about Ruger Wheelguns?!?!?! I should have everything 'cept the Super Redhawk by Halloween.

I'm addicted!
My EDC right now is the GP-100. That MAY change to the XD9SC (ordering it next week).

But I am LUUUSTING after Ruger wheelies! I GOTTA have 'em! A Speed Six will come down the line sometime as well.

My big mistake was comming to the RugerForum after purchasing a Ruger 44mag levergun and a Ruger GP-100 for home defense. There was no way I could resist the Ruger Single-Actions. Who could? I've never owned a semi-anything and I stay out of the "Ruger Semiauto Pistols" section. :D :D

...Jimbo SR9? :roll:

artx

Bearcat
For me its all about the future for my family and my hobby today. I was buying smiths when nobody around here wanted them. I once traded a minty remington rand for an sp101 and 50 bucks! Now I believe in trading up or down,and not getting to attached with the guns I have or have had. I have traded 5 for 1 and 1for 20 so many times that I'm not bothered by it at all. But see my problem is that I tend to collect everything! I collect watches,guns, gold,silver, arrowheads,surplus, etc. Just the other day I bought the biggest collection of reloading supplies I've ever seen,and I don't reload! At the moment I'm wanting to trade off smiths,and rugers for engraved guns. Call me crazy,but I've had fun with the things that I have owned,hell I've only put 40 rounds through my class 3 weapon in almost a year and a half!

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
>>But see my problem is that I tend to collect everything!<<

Ah. Yeah, that's a key difference. Everything I care about, I could strap to my motorcycle and drive off with. Literally. And it ain't a Goldwing or other bagger.

artx

Bearcat
Yep I'm the same way,but its so much fun collecting what I can get my hands on! Rugers were so cheap back in the day and can still be had now at time cheap,so I choose to collect those too!

the fatman

Single-Sixer
I started with Rugers. Somewhere along the way I lost my way. :D A few years back I repented. Got a Ruger Alaskan in 44 mag. Suprised my self that I shot as good or better then some of the unmentionable guns I had in my sinful years. Then as often happens with a swelled head I bought a Ruger Alaskan in 454. And have had some good old buyers remorse. May be some day I'll get me a nice single action Ruger. :D

artx

Bearcat
I hear ya, I started out small back in the day,and somehow managed to get the things I like. I have been fortunate in the sense that I can let go of my weapons at anytime and not feel that big of a loss. That's the key for me and it has worked.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I hear both voices in my head: The traditionalist taking Jim March's approach, saying, "Beware the man with one gun", and all that BS. ;) (Just kidding.) And in a way that's true. I would love to bond so thoroughly with "one gun" (or heck, even one caliber) that I would want to shoot that gun exclusively for the rest of my life, writing romantic ballads about it ala EK, etc. If I were to find that gun (and my current collection is a result of searching for it) then I'd have it customized and personalized just for me. That this "one gun" would have to be the ultimate target gun, carry piece, HD piece, be cheap to shoot as well as deadly, and somehow be both a handgun and a rifle, well, I haven't worked out that part yet.

Unfortunately, the other voice is stronger, and keeps me buying guns. I shoot rifles (bolts, levers, semis), pistols, shotguns, revolvers, .22LR, .380, 9mm, .38, .357, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .223, .243, .308, 12 gauge, single shots and muzzle loaders. I like 'em all, and they all serve different purposes. Variety is the spice of life!

Now that I've gotten myself a .44 Special I'm convinced this caliber is the be-all and end-all, so am looking at other .44 Special guns. I may sell off a couple of vintage S&W .357s to pick up another .44 Special.

And yes, my collection (such as it is) does represent a bit of a hedge fund. It pays about 10% APR, as long as I don't damage the principal. This is consistent with gun price increases since the turn of the last century.

I've also adopted the attitude that if I do lose a little on a gun sale, I can chalk it up to "rent" or even "tuition in the school of gun knowledge".

-- Sam

artx

Bearcat
I got a call to look at some gun items and it turned out to be the pirates booty! Somewhere around 50000 primers,bullets, brass,primered brass,powder, boatloads of dies and more gun goodies then you could Imagine!Oh and parts,I have more smith and wesson parts then I might need,but they were cheap.Yeah my habbits sometimes are hard to break! I was collecting vintage smiths when nobody wanted them,same way with military guns and now look.

Gary in Pennsylvania":e92hjsl5 said:
At one time.....my sigline had the statement:
"Hopeless CZ Junkie!"

I don't have a large collection of firearms....but at one time I had as many as 6 semi-autos.

I'm down to 2 CZ's a 3" Ruger GP-100 and an XD45 Tactical.

I'm about to buy an XD9SC.......and sell my two CZ's.

The XD9SC is definite.
The next firearms in line are a 4" GP-100 (I hope!), a 2" SP-101, a New Model Super Blackhawk in either .44mag or .357mag, and a Super Redhawk!

I'm addicted!

-

Before you get the XD9 you might at least look at the SR9 (very nice)

Latest posts