What is it about them?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
Nh Rugerman said:
Rev- the expert on the SR1911- doesn't own one and hasn't shot one, but an expert none the less....

Good night, Rev...your an expert and I am just a ruger fool.....thank you for blessing us with your over rot opinions, we should all feel honored by your very presence on our fanboys forum....

:roll:

It's more and more clear with your every post that you are simply being obstinate ... Either that or you're just so thick that you simply can't understand a completely valid point. I've already said its a good gun ... And it is ... At it's PRICE POINT ... And it's price point is $550-600 ... NOT $800+ as some claim(ed) both now and in the past.

A 1911 is a 1911 .... I already own more than a dozen. I don't need to own the Ruger to know what it is ... What it feels like ... And what it looks like. Try to get that through your head.

It's like saying ... We both own a P95 ... But since you don't own MY P95 ... You can't talk about it because you don't own MINE ... Therefore ... you have no idea what a P95 is like.

Good night ... Get some sleep NHR ... Maybe it'll clear your head.

BTW ... Over rot ? .... You really DO need some sleep .... The word is overwrought ... It means elaborate or complicated ... that probably explains why you just don't get the point ...

Try posting something of substance about a 1911 for a change ... Just once ....

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
DGW1949 said:
I don't own an SR1911 but I've shot one quite a bit.

I do agree with Rev on the unwarranted engraving though. Perty-dern tacky if ya ask me.

Me though, I'm still hoping that Ruger will see fit to introduce something more akin to the Colt Government Model. Yeah, a plain-jane 1911A1 copy, that would be the ticket for me. :D .

DGW

Stop right there DGW ... You don't own one ? Then you're not allowed to comment ! :D.

I'd like to see a plain jane one too ... Preferably in a nice high polished blue. Without any laser engraving, beaver tail, or other frilly doo dads. And a more tuned and accurized version as well. At about the $700 price point it could easily compete with the Springfield 'Loaded' lineup.

I've handled several SR1911's and the thing that put me off the most was the finish. It's just too coarse for my liking for a stainless gun. I also didn't like that they wrote 'SR' ... 1911 either ... Everybody knows what model it is ... Very Taurus-y ... Like their 'PT' ... 1911. Makes no sense. Probably dreamed up by some 1st year post grad student in Rugers marketing dept.

And lose the two tone black controls ... PLEASE !

Take a look at the link below ... Note the following ...

NOT two tone.
More highly polished.
NO beaver tail.
NO tacky laser engraving ... REAL engraving ... Or roll stamped.
No boiler plate engraving. I'm surprised Ruger didn't write ... 'This Side Towards Enemy' like on a claymore.
Nicer/truer grooving.
Nicer, truer to spec trigger.
Did I mention ... NOT two tone ?
On left side of slide ... All it says is Model 1911 ... CAL 45
Same price

Note that the above would be MY preferences ... YMMV.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/springfield-milspec-5-45ss-package-67400-shipped

REV

Rev
Your P95 comparison makes no sense unless you can get another manufacturer to make one,...based on your assumptions, any company can make a 1911 and it would be just an entry level 1911 based strictly on price.

YOU ARE WRONG AND YOU HAVE NO BASIS IN FACT AS YOU DO NOT OWN A SR1911, UNTIL YOU DO...YOUR PROGNOSTICATIONS ARE PURE SPECULATION....

STOP PONTIFICATING BASED ON NO FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE, I OWN AT LEAST ONE COPY OF EACH 1911 YOU HAVE ESPOUSED AND I SAY YOU ARE WRONG...UNTIL YOU OWN ONE OF EACH...YOUR UNABLE TO SPEAK INTELLIGENTLY....SORRY TO CONFUSE YOU WITH THE FACTS...

The Colt Gold Cup used to be the standard for high end accurate 1911's. That is no longer true, period.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Yeah ... Yeah ... Yeah ....

1911's are all really different ... Right ...

Never said CGC's were the standard for accuracy ... Although I'd say they're probably the PRODUCTION gun standard.

And if you've REALLY OWNED the guns in question and still can't come up to speed with the discussion .... Then we're done here ... At least I'm done debating with you.

Have a good one.

REV

The Gold Cup name has lost its cache, especially since Colt decided to let Umarex slap it on a " Colt Gold Cup" 22 pistol.....

The Ruger name has always meant high quality to value ratio....that is why the Ruger 1911 is praised by almost everyone....except, of course,....those who can't bring themselves to admit What those of us who own one know to be true...a great 1911, with exceptional quality and out of the box accuracy for the price....

Thus endeth the conversation...

RCP1936

Bearcat
The only thing I don't like about my SR1911 is the laser engraving that others have commented on
If it was available in Blue or Parkerized I would have bought that version

RCP1936

Bearcat
DGW1949 said:
Right out of the box with nothing more than checking the bore for obstructions, the one I used ran through several boxes of ammo without a hitch, and shot almost to it's POA at the 25ft line.....so to me, it was doing it's job rather well. Nothing there to complain about at all.

I do agree with Rev on the unwarranted engraving though. Perty-dern tacky if ya ask me.
That, and I've got no use for it's custom features, which when ya get right down to it, realy aint all-that "custom" these days....more run of the mill I'd say.....but on the other hand, most folks do seem to like having fluff 'n bling on their not so 1911 1911's, so I can understand the SR1911's appeal.

Me though, I'm still hoping that Ruger will see fit to introduce something more akin to the Colt Government Model. Yeah, a plain-jane 1911A1 copy, that would be the ticket for me. :D .

DGW

Springfield has a Mil Spec but it is not a Made in the USA

The Plain Jane Remington R1 is very close and Made in the USA
If I was buying today I would be tempted to get one instead of my SR1911
I like the closer to mil spec look and Remington did make them for the military

Funny thing though after Remington came out with the R1 they came out with an enhanced version
Very much like the SR1911 but more $$$

eveled

Hawkeye
I agree, I like my R1 better than my Sr1911's. It has that plain jane GI, look with some upgrades.

The R1S is better looking to me than the Rugers.

As far as the enhanced version it is too much money for me to spend. The carry version is too heavy to have that name.

At 26.7 ozs, I like my S&W lightweight commanders (a PD, and a billboard SC) better than the Rugers, or the Remington.

In todays market, the smart money buys the 1911 that is the closest to the way you want it, then make the least modifications to it possible. Ed

Mike J

Hunter
The Springfield might be more cosmetically true to the original design but I seem to remember them using a different firing pin. I know the Ruger isn't 100% true to the original design internally either. I am pretty sure most of the current production guns are different from the original design in one way or another.

The SR 1911 is my only 1911. I don't own a bunch of different models & I haven't shot a lot of different ones but I believe Rev is right that it is an entry level 1911. Everything I have read seems to indicate that. It doesn't matter to me what "tier" it is considered to be on as far as all that goes I like mine & it shoots fine. The engraving & the finish are okay by me. I would like it better if it was all stainless but it is fine like it is.

I think Ed nailed it pretty well with this statement.
"In todays market, the smart money buys the 1911 that is the closest to the way you want it, then make the least modifications to it possible. Ed"

revhigh

Hawkeye
Mike J said:
I think Ed nailed it pretty well with this statement.
"In todays market, the smart money buys the 1911 that is the closest to the way you want it, then make the least modifications to it possible. Ed"

Absolutely agreed. If you wanted to switch out the non-desirable parts like all the black parts and the trigger, get it bead blasted for a really nice finish, and be sure the gun still works properly ... You'd probably have enough to buy a Colt Gold Cup, Springfield Loaded Target, or Range Officer. Those 3 guns would absolutely blow away the SR1911 in the accuracy arena, which is my top priority in a range gun. If you only have a few guns and you use them all for carry, don't shoot much, don't reload, or aren't that great of a shot ... Then I'm sure the SR is quite 'good enough'.

Most of my guns are for specific uses. Probably 40 or so for range and target use, and 3-4 for carry. My carry guns are quite specialized, totally stock, and don't see much range use. A KelTec P3AT, Glock 26, and Colt 1991A1 Compact are my primary carry guns ... When I do carry.

The last thing I want is an 'average' range gun. That's why most of my autos are CZ's, Sigs, and Colts. My revolvers are split about evenly between Colts and Rugers. Love the GP100's, but they don't compare to my Pythons for accuracy, and smoothness, but they're like rocks and I shoot them a lot. I own every Super Redhawk in every caliber and I've yet to find a gun that compares to them.

So when people say I don't even own Rugers ... They're full of it. I own what I've found over the years through direct experience to be the best Rugers, and that doesn't include many of their autos, except for the MK's, of which I own several. I've had a lot of experience in the last 40 years with autos, Rugers included, and have never found one that could come close to comparing to the CZ's, Sigs, and Colts... If I found one ... I'd own it, that's for damn sure.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
RCP1936 said:
DGW1949 said:
Right out of the box with nothing more than checking the bore for obstructions, the one I used ran through several boxes of ammo without a hitch, and shot almost to it's POA at the 25ft line.....so to me, it was doing it's job rather well. Nothing there to complain about at all.

That, and I've got no use for it's custom features, which when ya get right down to it, realy aint all-that "custom" these days....more run of the mill I'd say.....but on the other hand, most folks do seem to like having fluff 'n bling on their not so 1911 1911's, so I can understand the SR1911's appeal.

DGW

Springfield has a Mil Spec but it is not a Made in the USA

Who cares ? Most of the best guns in the world aren't made in the US. So what ?I'm pretty sure all you guys who talk about 'value for the money' would be buying imported guns if they were demonstrably better (which many are) and cost the same as the Ruger.

And I'm sure some or most of you 'buy American only preachers' probably own Toyota's, Nissans, and Volvos, listen to Yamaha and Sony stereos, watch Panasonic TV's, use virtually all Asian made appliances and tools, wear clothes made in VietNam and China, and shoot imported ammunition. So don't be hypocrites when it comes to talking about guns ...

REV

buscadero

Single-Sixer
I've been lurking in the shadows for this whole thread. :oops:
I have 2 SR 1911's, 1 Colt series 70, 1 RIA Tactical and a Charles Daly Compact.
I agree with Rev...... My Colt is the most accurate, 2" at 25. My SR1911's are roughly 2.5" at 25. My rock Island Tactical is roughly 2.5" at 25. (Same as my SR's) My Charles Daly is roughly 3" at 25. I handload 200 Grain IDPA#4 Missiouri lead bullets with Bullseye at appriox. 850 fps at 15' with my Chrony. I rarely clean my guns (just a wipe down and Frog lube on the rails) They work... If my life depended on a gun... I'd grab anyone of them.
When my buddy comes up to shoot with me, with his Kimber... I grab my Colt. To me, my Colt has a better finish, smoother trigger and is slightly more accurate. Their all reliable with all my factory, no-name and old magazines. The only time I do get one to fail is when I run it dry and filthy.(my fault, I like to see how long they'll go without cleaning, when I carry, it's clean) My most accurate 45 is my Ruger P90. I also have a Ruger P97 which is my second most accurate. (Yes, they outshoot the 1911's) What does all this mean??? I don't have a clue... just rambling on....(but it does irk my bubby to have my P90 outshoot his kimber) Name dropping sucks... Shoot for the pleasure of it.... I enjoyed shooting the most when I only had 1 pistol, a Ruger 357 Blackhawk, back in the 60's. I'm going on 71 and every gun I own can shoot better than me, and I consider myself good. I usually carry a LCP, and can qualify with it on the combat course(retired LEO). The gun doesn't make the shooter... The shooter makes the gun. (IMHO) Thanks for listening.
Jim
I also believe the best combat gun ever made was a S&W Model 10, 4" heavy barrel. Just MOHO

RCP1936

Bearcat
revhigh said:
Who cares ? Most of the best guns in the world aren't made in the US. So what ?I'm pretty sure all you guys who talk about 'value for the money' would be buying imported guns if they were demonstrably better (which many are) and cost the same as the Ruger.

REV
I care
the 45 whether SAA or 1911 are American ICONs
If I am going to own the types it will be American made if available and affordable
It is MY money and I care

Latest posts