What gun is this?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Probably too easy. What gun is this in the picture?
P1240118.JPG

No prize for getting it right, just personal satisfaction. :D

tinman

Buckeye
Got nuthin to give any scale......could be just about anything. It resembles a firearm of some sort. :arrow:

TA DA! Yes! T.A.Workman is correct. Kimber Govt Model 82. Good Job! Do you have one? I bought it in Ohio from the CMP in 2008.

P1240120.JPG

P1240124.JPG

P1240119.JPG

P1240112.JPG

I just got fed up with the aperture sights and finally mounted a 16x scope. This is the only gun I have that can shoot the elusive ragged hole at 50 yards. My range is building an 85 yard rimfire only range, so I'll get to test it to 85 yards soon.

cadillo

Blackhawk
I have a couple of the CMP M-12's. Just wondering whether that gun gives the cold barrel fliers like so many other .22's. My M-12's do it, and my friend's Winny Model 52 also.

protoolman

Hunter
The only rifle that will shoot the elusive ragged hole at 50 yards? My mkII M77 30-06 will do it at 100 yards with a stock heavy trigger and a cheap 4 power scope. Off a bench of course. I find moa rifles to be almost the norm in these days of precision machining.

Not 1 moa, not a clover leaf but a true ragged hole... the next time I take it to the range I'll post a picture.

And yes, cold barrel fliers are common. This barrel is so thick and heavy that it does take quite some few rounds to heat up. Well, plus the bolt action, I can't do rapid fire at all.

737tdi

Hunter
Kevin: I can put a true ragged hole in your target, open sights with my AR. Not 1 moa, clover leaf but one ragged hole. It is all about the shooter, not the rifle. Well a bit about the rifle/carbine. 85 yds. no problem. 300 yds. my vision is no longer acceptable. It used to be. I bet I can get within 2 inches though.

Semper Fi:

Karl

cadillo

Blackhawk
Kevin said:
Not 1 moa, not a clover leaf but a true ragged hole... the next time I take it to the range I'll post a picture.

And yes, cold barrel fliers are common. This barrel is so thick and heavy that it does take quite some few rounds to heat up. Well, plus the bolt action, I can't do rapid fire at all.

My M-12's will shoot like that with SK Std Plus once the barrels are warmed up, but I've always been unhappy with the cold barrel flier issue.

In case you might be interested, over on the Rimfire Central site there are some folks who claim to have solved the cold shot flier riddle. I will try their remedy once I get through my impending relocation.

Okay, my apologies.... I should have said I'm not the best shot in the world. It is an accurate rifle for me...

Thanks for the information about rimfire central...

Oh and Karl, the revolvers I pictured over in the revolver section, I'm going to take them up to the gun refinisher you told me about in Aubrey.

737tdi

Hunter
Kevin: Hey, I was just yanking your chain a bit. :) . I will have to check out your pics. in the revolver thread. He will do a good job for you, small shop but does great work.

Karl

Latest posts