what guard dog do you keep at bedside

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Carltonian

Bearcat
My 345 is my ccw...don't like to leave it home at all. but i need something to keep the wife and kiddies safe when/if i cant get to kp. ive got a mav 88, but in the event time doesnt permit, suggestions?

wlhump

Bearcat
150 pound Labra-Dane alarm system
KP89 ready to rock
D.Wesson 8" 357 as backup

and me
6'2" 290

Mike J

Hunter
I've usually got either a P-944 or XD-40 handy in addition to an old 20 ga Mossberg model 500 cruiser with #3 buck. All our dogs are outside but they are pretty good about letting us know it anyone is around. One Australian Sheperd mix. One Labrador Retriever/German Sheperd mix.
wlhump-those Dan Wessons are sweet aren't they I've got an old model 15-2 with a 4" barrel.

I forgot to mention the wifes got her Taurus Model 85 she had when we met.

welder

Buckeye
Gp100 with 125. gr. Gold dots backed up with my Glock 19 loaded with Federal law man 124 +p+. In the corner, mere feet away, my Mossberg 590 special with 00buck first three, then two low recoil slugs. Standing by as well, my E2 defender Surefire light.

Mike J

Hunter
Now ya'all are making me feel cheap because I just keep a mag light handy.

dacaur

Single-Sixer
Ive got two dogs, both about 30-35 pounds, but one sounds like about 80 pounds and vicious when you hear him bark from outside the house :twisted: Few false alarms a week will be worth it when its not a false alarm and they give me time to grab my p95 from the safe under the bed. (only need about 2 seconds)

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
A West Highland Terrier alarm with a hair trigger and a 50 lb mutt as backup. A Springfield 1911 in the nightstand. Little LED nightlights in all the rooms make sure nowhere is pitch black.

tguil

Single-Sixer
Two golden retrievers who sleep on the bed. They are up at the slightest sound outside or inside. However, they would most likely to want to make friends with anyone out there. Oh, there is a loaded Speed Six close by as well as my "field gun", an Ithaca Model 37 12 gauge. (For what it's worth, I'm not all that paranoid about "bad guys".)

Tom :cool:

dacaur

Single-Sixer
Heh, I would call my dogs friendly, but one of them (the less vicious sounding one unfortunately) Will NOT stop barking at someone new who comes into my house until I pet her and let the stranger pet her at the same time, then she is fine with them.... Once, before my mother had met her, I had to leave town for a day and she said I could leave my two dogs at her house. She works from home and was in her room working when I dropped them off. When I came back she said I shouldn't worry about burglars, I have a pretty good guard dog. Every time she came out of her room the dog would bark at her, and not stop till about a minute after she went back in. She never tried to bite, just barked. The funny thing is that to this day she still wont let my mother pet her! She doesn't bark at her, she [the dog] just hides behind me till she [the mom] leaves. :lol:

bub

Single-Sixer
I've got a similar problem. Several years ago, my wife swiped my Glock 26 after I let her shoot it. She's pretty good with it, too. The problem is that she won't CARRY it. It sits in her dresser drawer, mag loaded but chamber empty, but our bedroom is the farthest room in the house if she is in the living room and "something happens".

You basically have two options. Either buy her a pistol (or revolver based on HER preference) and have her carry it or get a dog as an early warning system, to give her time to get to her gun. Maybe both if she is like my wife and won't carry even after she has a gun. Her actually carrying the gun would be best, but I'm sure I don't have to tell you about women when they make their mind up about something!

Don't rule out little dogs, either. We have a Miniature Pomeranian. He weighs about 5 lbs soaking wet and would be lucky to be able to open his mouth wide enough to bite your toe. However, he is about the best guard dog I've ever seen. ANYTHING out of the ordinary happens and he is barking his head off. The problem is that he has the "Little Dog Syndrome" and barks at EVERYTHING! You have a warning that SOMETHING is wrong but no idea WHAT is wrong. At least it gives time to get ready for whatever he is barking at, which is about all you can expect out of any dog. The best part is that he is GREAT with our daughters and puts up with a LOT of crap out of them, something that larger dogs sometimes have trouble with.

Bub

patrick_ford

Bearcat
While I have a Glock 19 at my bedside at night. We have our Alaskan Malamute named Tsali keeping watch downstairs. Our black cat named Merlin does a pretty good job looking after things as well.

TsaliandMerlin.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Chocolate lab. Sounds vicious, Labs have a big chest so it's a deep chest growl.
Big Ears like an AWAC. If someone walk up the driveway he is alert and ready.
Totally useless as a fighter though.
He will alert me, then hide behind me until the threat is determined to
be safe. No way is he going first through the doorway.
Smart Dog.